Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's talk about investing! Stock market, ETF, etc.

Springfield

That's a prob with market timing. Consider a dollar cost-averaging strategy. 

Well, it's why I don't do "marking timing." I bought a company that was plummeting because I think they're undervalued. If I wind up being wrong then I'll be OK with it (as OK as you can be with losing money ;) )

I normally use that strategy, but this was a specific situation where I chose not to. *shrug* It is what it is. Still happy with what I bought, just would have been a better deal this week than it was two weeks ago :)

(I don't get worked up either way about big fluctuations like this. I buy and hold because I like the company, not because I think I can sell it for more in a few weeks, I'm not able to play that game and I know it so I don't even try.)

Edited by tshile

Hubby & I have been watching his 401k disappear. :(

401k is for retirement, so you're probably looking at years before you need to start withdrawing. This is actually likely good, assuming it stays down while you continue investing.

Warren Buffet in his 1997 shareholder letter:

How We Think About Market Fluctuations 

A short quiz: If you plan to eat hamburgers throughout your life and are not a cattle producer, should you wish for higher or lower prices for beef? Likewise, if you are going to buy a car from time to time but are not an auto manufacturer, should you prefer higher or lower car prices? These questions, of course, answer themselves.

But now for the final exam: If you expect to be a net saver during the next five years, should you hope for a higher or lower stock market during that period? Many investors get this one wrong. Even though they are going to be net buyers of stocks for many years to come, they are elated when stock prices rise and depressed when they fall. In effect, they rejoice because prices have risen for the "hamburgers" they will soon be buying. This reaction makes no sense. Only those who will be sellers of equities in the near future should be happy at seeing stocks rise. Prospective purchasers should much prefer sinking prices.

This is a great buying opportunity

there is nowhere near the sense of underlying doom and gloom from 2008.  This might compare to 2000 a bit, or maybe even 1987.  But the cusp of another great recession?  That's laughable.  

• Like 2

It's funny how the economic troubles in China upset the stock market so much, when in many ways they will be beneficial to the US as a competitor of China.   In the US, employment has been on a fairly steady upswing, economic growth is good compared to the rest of the developed world, oil and gas remain cheap.  

Of course, the interests of American capital and of the American worker are poorly aligned.   

• Like 1

Man, I wish I hadn't gotten scared about YANG and got out at $80. ****ing things about to bust $150 in no time.

why not buy in now when you can 'time it' to hit prior market values. To me, if 'its all Chinas fault', why not do some short term market timing?

It will be over 200 by Friday...No? I think so...

It's funny how the economic troubles in China upset the stock market so much, when in many ways they will be beneficial to the US as a competitor of China.   In the US, employment has been on a fairly steady upswing, economic growth is good compared to the rest of the developed world, oil and gas remain cheap.  

Of course, the interests of American capital and of the American worker are poorly aligned.   

It is more than China, markets been due for a major correction  and of course the edginess from the Fed rate intentions and economic news.

Weak fundamentals, ya might hold that jingle for some real bargains....or go now playing long

why not buy in now when you can 'time it' to hit prior market values. To me, if 'its all Chinas fault', why not do some short term market timing?

Because with my luck it'll be back down to $100 if I buy now.

I'm just hanging out, holding what I've got and riding out the storm.

Time to buy or sell?

141.19 up_g.gif 22.92(19.38%) Aug 24, 4:00PM EDT

Pre-Market : 109.72 down_r.gif 31.47 (22.29%) 8:03AM EDT - Nasdaq Real Time Price

ugh... just get your money into a low cost mutual fund that mirrors the market (or S&P). don't time the market. by the time YOU have the bright idea to take advantage of something, the real experts and insiders have already leveraged their position and the market has already adjusted. for the little people, successful investing is a long and boring game (until the end, when you get to live off of all your filthy loot).

Edited by dchogs
  • Like 1