Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's talk about investing! Stock market, ETF, etc.

Springfield

20 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Alibaba?

Currently selling at 90.56 and trending up with a 3 month high of 108.4 in October. 3 month low was this past Dec 23 at 86.79.

I have approx 24k sitting in a crappy ass 401k in which I have actually lost approx $600 so far this year. My job does not match or offer any 401k incentives.

Should I close my 401k and move the money to 25% Alibaba, 25% Sun/One Voice, 25% exxon, 25% US weapon makers?

Can I just close my 401k and move the money without penalty? 

Can tell if you are serious.

"Close"... you mean stop funding it? Or take the money out? If you take the money out you'll be hit with a lot of penalties—basically the tax you would've paid on that money PLUS penalty. 

What's the 401k vehicle? I would just put it in a fund that tracks the S&P500  or a Total Stock Market fund. The 401K isn't crappy, it's the underlying fund—but one year is such a small amount of time. 

To me, looks like you want to move 75% of your money into high risk/high reward stakes and 25% into one, relatively, stable asset. Personally, I wouldn't do it that way. 

3 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Can tell if you are serious.

"Close"... you mean stop funding it? Or take the money out? If you take the money out you'll be hit with a lot of penalties—basically the tax you would've paid on that money PLUS penalty. 

What's the 401k vehicle? I would just put it in a fund that tracks the S&P500  or a Total Stock Market fund. The 401K isn't crappy, it's the underlying fund—but one year is such a small amount of time. 

To me, looks like you want to move 75% of your money into high risk/high reward stakes and 25% into one, relatively, stable asset. Personally, I wouldn't do it that way. 

Im serious. I am one of those people that lets money rot in a poor 401k and I dont bother to ask why. Now I am starting to ask why. This isnt a 1 year poor performance, its been years. 

I think Alibaba is set to take off right now and over the next 5 years. I read the article another ES member posted re China going to a "social credit" score and Alibaba will be a major govt backed player. I started reading more and more articles and I think Alibaba is here to stay and China will make sure it stays profitable so it can used as a positive example to lure in foreign investors. 

I really need to sit down with Merrill Lynch and figure out why I am losing money year after year in a 401k i thought was a generic low risk fund.  

What are your thoughts on Alibaba? 

I anticipate having about 10k to invest in a few months but am hesitant to wait and have Alibaba get back up into the 100+ range. If I can get in at 87 now but dont and come April its back up to 100+ I will be kicking my own ass. 

Alibaba is Chinese, right?

I wouldn't touch China with a ten foot pole with Trump coming in.  He's going to dedtroy them and their currency manipulation BS.

Thats just me though.

Id keep your money in a safe-ish vehicle like a 401k.  Use play money, or money you don't care about losing, with he stock market.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Alibaba is Chinese, right?

I wouldn't touch China with a ten foot pole with Trump coming in.  He's going to dedtroy them and their currency manipulation BS.

Thats just me though.

Id keep your money in a safe-ish vehicle like a 401k.  Use play money, or money you don't care about losing, with he stock market.

US Treasury Secretary, Forbes, The Economist, Bloomberg all say China is not practicing currency manipulation .. at least not nearly to the level of Germany, Japan, South Korea etc. Their economic growth is slowing. They are all on a "watch list". What ever Trump says, I will initially believe the opposite is true until I research it myself.

Im intrigued by Alibaba bc of foreign investors being weary of China and state manipulation ... but I think this is a golden opportunity, I want China to manipulate but in a good way. China wants and needs foreign investors, China is actively trying to roll back regulations and sanctions to make it easier for foreign investors .... I see Alibaba as China's golden child to attract tepid but interested people like me. I think China will do everything in its State power to make Alibaba a profitable investment for foreign investors. This "social credit" thing with Alibaba is also an interesting. On top of  

Also Alibaba is filing lawsuits to clean up the counterfeit claims so that they can do business in the US. 

The 10k will be "play" money in the sense that I would just spend it on vacations, beer and meat. I see little point in putting it into an account making 0.01%. I just wont go on a vacation and instead, could be setting my daughter up for life. 

Ill come back to this thread 3 and 6 months from to see where Alibaba is at. 

• Like 1

Alibaba is doing virtual reality online shopping so that people in China can virtually walk through the Macy's NYC store and buy things. 

Thats pretty damn cool. 

A few weeks earlier, Alibaba sold around 150,000 cardboard virtual reality headsets for 1 yuan ($0.15) on Taobao. Using Taobao’s app, customers were then able  to virtually move around and shop inside Macy’s famous flagship store in New York City from Nov. 1-11.

http://nextshark.com/chinese-customers-tested-virtual-reality-shopping-new-yorks-macys-singles-day/

5 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Im serious. I am one of those people that lets money rot in a poor 401k and I dont bother to ask why. Now I am starting to ask why. This isnt a 1 year poor performance, its been years. 

I really need to sit down with Merrill Lynch and figure out why I am losing money year after year in a 401k i thought was a generic low risk fund.  

What's the 'generic low risk fund'? Ir Merrill charging you excessive costs?

A total stock market fund has generated about 13% + annually over the past five years. 

Pink, I think you've made up your mind and just want affirmations. 

Ali is very intriguing. They've held my interest since I heard of them. Personally, I love Amazon (the company, not the stock) and they dwarf Amazon. I think you know what's at stake. 

Have you ever used it? 

Regardless, I wish you the best. We've just scratched the surface of the "why". Foreign governments are just one piece of the puzzle. What are the company's fundamentals like? Have you looked through their SEC filings and letters from the SEC? How do you feel about companies acquiring companies outside of their core competencies?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I put a little cash into a pink stock. Granted going in I knew little about stocks in general but I'm learning. I've learned enough to realize that most investors consider pinks extremely risky.

The question is am I just getting lucky or are some pink stocks viable? I almost bought this stock a year and a half ago and it has increased 350% since then. I bought it 3 weeks ago and am looking at a stock on the rise and 14% gains so far. 

I jumped into Square in May. It’s doubled since then. Not sure how much run it has left but I tend to buy long. 

Ttwo has also done very well by me and believe it or not Bristol Myers. 

Edit: Don’t really know what a pink stick is. I know penny stocks are above my risk tolerance usually. 

Edited by Burgold

put about $100 into litecoin when it was at $55 a few weeks ago, up to $72 today but moved some and bought pre ICO Crypterium.  The bitcoins and different currencies are intriguing. 

https://crypterium.io/

Bitcoin was at $4200 a month and a half or so ago and told my wife we should throw in a good chunk of savings (bitcoins been blowing up this year).  Well it's at $8200 today.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

put about $100 into litecoin when it was at $55 a few weeks ago, up to $72 today but moved some and bought pre ICO Crypterium.  The bitcoins and different currencies are intriguing. 

Bitcoin was at $4200 a month and a half or so ago and told my wife we should throw in a good chunk of savings (bitcoins been blowing up this year).  Well it's at $8200 today.

Not sure what do make of bitcoins. Playing with currency is generally high risk. I can see bitcoin becoming a very powerful instrument and a bubble that bursts almost all the way down to zero. Maybe I just don't know enough.

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Not sure what do make of bitcoins. Playing with currency is generally high risk. I can see bitcoin becoming a very powerful instrument and a bubble that bursts almost all the way down to zero. Maybe I just don't know enough.

Yeah definitely risky and I could see the same.  You saw a significant bust around $2.5k not long ago with South Korea (I think) banning it but it recovered really quickly.  I'm putting a small pot in Crypterium ($50 - ~86 shares) and see how it goes.  If it gets high then I'll sell but if it busts then only out $50.

22 hours ago, steve09ru said:

Yeah definitely risky and I could see the same.  You saw a significant bust around $2.5k not long ago with South Korea (I think) banning it but it recovered really quickly.  I'm putting a small pot in Crypterium ($50 - ~86 shares) and see how it goes.  If it gets high then I'll sell but if it busts then only out $50.

Why crypterium over other currency?

I have the same qualms as everyone else when it comes to cryptocurrency. But it has its place in the future, just not sure why if this generation is the right iteration. 

It's something the younger people will grasp onto. 

18 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Why crypterium over other currency?

I have the same qualms as everyone else when it comes to cryptocurrency. But it has its place in the future, just not sure why if this generation is the right iteration. 

It's something the younger people will grasp onto. 

Wanted to buy something at the earliest stages that had a lot of potential.  The leadership at Crypterium also has some solid backgrounds that I was impressed with.  It's also a crytobank vs. just a coin so seemed to have a lot more potential to stick around and minimal competition at the moment.  

23 hours ago, Burgold said:

Bitcoin will be worth $500k per coin in a few years, or zero. Place your bets.

The blockchain and cryptocurrency is about where the internet was in 1992. Before the Mosaic browser. Two years before Netscape.

Three years before the launch of Amazon.

screen-shot-2016-07-18-at-10-05-33-am.pn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/20/2017 at 2:34 PM, steve09ru said:

I'm dabbling in it just to keep track of it more than as any serious commitment. I put a $200 each into BTC, ETH and LTE a while ago. And moved a little of the gain in BTC to buy a small amount of Crypterium.

All fun and games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

I'm dabbling in it just to keep track of it more than as any serious commitment. I put a $200 each into BTC, ETH and LTE a while ago. And moved a little of the gain in BTC to buy a small amount of Crypterium.

All fun and games.

Yeah, ETH wasn't moving much recently so backed off that and BTC was so high at that point it was tough for me to want to buy in and expect it to continue to skyrocket.  LTE is interesting to me, it was fairly low buy and some opportunity but from what I've heard it's pretty saturated.  Kept ~ half in LTE and moved the other into Crypterium.  Have around $50 in now, may toss another $75 in  before the end of the year.  If it hits then awesome, if not, little lost.

2 hours ago, Metalhead said:

I did some online trading a few years ago with Scottrade - what are the best online traders now? TD Ameritrade? ETrade?

I missed out on Bitcoin and Tesla, so I'm still working for a living.

Interested in that as well.  Has anyone gotten into penny stock us and if so, how has that worked out?  That's always intrigued me.  

On 11/20/2017 at 2:56 PM, Burgold said:

This wouldn't be the first btc bubble to bust.

I wish I felt comfortable giving advice, or acting on it myself. But I don't.