Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: It Appears Clinton Portis Owes A Lot Of People A Lot Of Money

God i hate the word whilst. Dam British invasion of this board lol.

If you live on the left side of the pond and its not because you moved from the right side, we should be allowed to flog you for using the word whilst.

I would love to have given all the posters on this board $1 million at age 22 and see how much of that they have left at age 32. Just for funsies.

Just make sure they get all the money management seminars and advice the nfl guys get too.

If you live on the left side of the pond and its not because you moved from the right side, we should be allowed to flog you for using the word whilst.

Just make sure they get all the money management seminars and advice the nfl guys get too.

Can we add "arse" to that list? Wtf is wrong with people?

Players in 1980 didn't make this level of income. Joe T. didn't make 1 million a year until after he won the Superbowl. Sonny makes more for his radio duties than he did as a player. Players used to have to have off-season jobs just to make ends meet. 

You realize this was the exact point I was making right? I fairly randomly picked a date. Sorry for not getting it exact. I will do it here - 1984 NFL salaries increased by 25%. This was a real turning point in NFL salaries.

More to the point, the focus was the difference between players decades ago and todays players. Todays athletes not only have incredible salaries they have an incredible amount of support including financial seminars, rookie symposiums detailing how to deal with the new found wealth and more.

Here is a good one. All the NFL idiots that get DUIs? There is a 24/7 service provided by the NFL that all you need to do is call, and you can get a free and immediate ride home! 

Players in 1980 didn't make this level of income. Joe T. didn't make 1 million a year until after he won the Superbowl. Sonny makes more for his radio duties than he did as a player. Players used to have to have off-season jobs just to make ends meet. 

Joey T. was the lowest paid QB in the NFL when he won the SB.   Got the job done with ZERO whining.  :wub:

Joey T. was the lowest paid QB in the NFL when he won the SB.   Got the job done with ZERO whining.  :wub:

Yep. If you go to the 2:08 mark of the you tube clip below, you hear Thiesmann in the pre-game pep talk for SB 17 that winning the game is worth $70,000 a man.

That was a big deal then. Nowadays, it seems like some players are making $70,000 a drive. :)

Yep. If you go to the 2:08 mark of the you tube clip below, you hear Thiesmann in the pre-game pep talk for SB 17 that winning the game is worth $70,000 a man.

That was a big deal then. Nowadays, it seems like some players are making $70,000 a drive. :)

No question player salaries have gone through the roof. If you factor in inflation though that $70K in 1982 is worth $170K today. I read that this last years Super Bowl bonus was $97K per man. So actually the value of the per man bonus has fallen over the years. Whats grown of course are the individual contracts players are on and individual contractual bonuses tied to winning the Super Bowl probably dwarf that $97K per man bonus certainly for the top half of the roster.

No question player salaries have gone through the roof. If you factor in inflation though that $70K in 1982 is worth $170K today. I read that this last years Super Bowl bonus was $97K per man. So actually the value of the per man bonus has fallen over the years. Whats grown of course are the individual contracts players are on and individual contractual bonuses tied to winning the Super Bowl probably dwarf that $97K per man bonus certainly for the top half of the roster.

Yep.

I mean, $97,000 is nothing to sneeze at, but to the guys making millions and millions now, it hardly registers.

Just one extra Rolls in the garage. :)

Yep.I mean, $97,000 is nothing to sneeze at, but to the guys making millions and millions now, it hardly registers.Just one extra Rolls in the garage. :)

Assuming the Rolls is about 3 years old and has about 30,000 miles on it!

Flog??? Pot/kettle.

Experience is the best teacher.

I'd probably be flat broke too.

Now, at 35, I know exactly what I would do with that money and be more than comfortable the rest of my days.

CP, we still love you man.  Get some help and get it together.

Portis made more money before 30 than I'll see in 2-3 lifetimes. It's not that hard.

Nick

Exactly, he made way more than enough money so that he could live high on the hog for the rest of his life.  These guys who blow it are idiots, I don't care how many reasons they have for going broke.  He was set for life no problem but nah.

Look we invented the language - at least show a little gratitude  :)

If it was not for us you would all be speaking Spanish (wich I realise is increasingly the case anyway) or, worse, French!

I used to love to ask students what foreign nation they thought owned the most land and businesses/corporations in the U.S.

After the usual round of guesses--Suadi Arabia; China; Japan most often, I'd tell them nope--Great Britain, and by a wide margin. You guys won even in defeat. While replete with serious national conflicts among the isles historically, it's an amazing little patch of geography you live in, and one that's affected the globe so powerfully.

Archived