Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Redskins Draft Thread,(all rounds)

PCS

I know pass pro is considered a weaker part of Schreff's game, and we all tend to focus on how much having an improved o-line would be desperately needed help for our big-investment still-hopefully franchise QB, but if the line really shows real forward progress I'm also excited to think of how that might show in Kirk and Colt's game if they have to take the field during the season. Both had some impressive showings at times within the Great Mess that was the team, and it would be very cool to see how they might benefit/improve. 

I think Kendricks to play ILB would fit nicely. I'm not sure Gregory or Collins (LSU) fit the the mold of our new GM, but they both offer value for talent if they can stay on the field. I like the aggressiveness and athletic ability of Collins (Alabama), not sure he fits our needs at FS. There are still a couple good OTs on the board. I watched the Harold kid at UVA and he is a very physical but a little raw ILB. We should get a good football player with this pick.

Are you serious?  you putting Clowney in this conversation when the kid had a terrible injury?  Like this can't happen at anyone time to any player?  Or are you going to tell me that if this was last year's draft you would have been ok with us selecting the best OG instead of Clowney?  You all seem to forget, the game this kid played against MD.  You guys seem to forget this kid projects much better as a LG than a RT....oh I forgot we will coach him up.  Then why couldn't we coach Moses up?

Well Williams does have questionable shoulder issue. Maybe this factored in.

I am still livid from last night, you guys say what you want about this pick.  To me it was trash, period with L Williams there.  The Jets right now have potentially the best DL in football and you can bet Tom Brady just about know is thinking, maybe good time to retire?

And here is the rub.  Jets no way needed him as bad as we did.  You say we have Hatcher?  really at 33 years old?  Paea? Francois?  Honestly who do we have on our DL right now that projects to be here 2 years from now and he would be All pro like L Williams probably will be?  YOU DON'T PASS ON THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE DRAFT to pickup a OG that you will try to make into a RT.  I am sorry guys, as good as Kerrigan has been for us this move will bite us in the A-- as us that one trading back and not getting JJ Watt.

I'm still unclear how you know better than a guy who is recognized across the league as one of the best talent evaluators in the business who made this decision presumably with the advice of one of the better O-line coaches in the league.

Just because draft pundits say Williams was the best pick there doesn't make it so.

I know pass pro is considered a weaker part of Schreff's game, and we all tend to focus on how much having an improved o-line would be desperately needed help for our big-investment still-hopefully franchise QB, but if the line really shows real forward progress I'm also excited to think of how that might show in Kirk and Colt's game if they have to take the field during the season. Both had some impressive showings at times within the Great Mess that was the team, and it would be very cool to see how they might benefit/improve. 

Agreed.  Also a dominant running game helps the passing game by default, especially when running play-action passes.  Defenses will have to defend the run first which will give the "QBs" that extra half a second that could make the difference between a successful pass and a sack.

Defenses seemed to ignore the Redskins running game last year.  Some plays looked like a straight jail break to the quarterback.  A powerful running game will slow that type of pass rush down.  It will also keep the Redskins out a lot of predictable passing downs.

FanSpeak mocks picking up in Round 2:

*Traded 2.5 to Cleveland for 2.11, 4.12 and 4.16

2. Preston Smith, OLB Arkansas

3. Ali Marpet, OG Hobart

4. Tevin Coleman, RB Indiana

4. Josh Shaw, CB USC

4. Ramik WIlson, ILB Georgia

5. Chris Hackett, FS TCU

6. EJ Bibbs, TE Iowa State

7. Stefon Diggs, WR Maryland 

So, Scherff can play tackle or guard.  I've always liked players with positional flexibility.  Here's a list of not so sexy picks of guys who can play multiple positions.  Wouldn't be horrible.

Rd 2.  Eric Rowe                    FS/CB

Rd 3.  Ameer Abdullah           RB/KR

Rd.4.  Devin  Funchess         TE/WR

Rd.5.  B.J. Finney                   C/G

Rd.6.  Anthony Harris             SS/FS

Rd. 7. Sean Hickey                 G/OT

I'm still unclear how you know better than a guy who is recognized across the league as one of the best talent evaluators in the business who made this decision presumably with the advice of one of the better O-line coaches in the league.

Just because draft pundits say Williams was the best pick there doesn't make it so.

What are you talking about? Mel Kiper is a genius! I mean he clearly knows more than all the GMs since he's been one...wait he hasn't? Oh.

/sarcasm

Are you serious?  you putting Clowney in this conversation when the kid had a terrible injury?  Like this can't happen at anyone time to any player?  Or are you going to tell me that if this was last year's draft you would have been ok with us selecting the best OG instead of Clowney?  You all seem to forget, the game this kid played against MD.  You guys seem to forget this kid projects much better as a LG than a RT....oh I forgot we will coach him up.  Then why couldn't we coach Moses up? 

Seriously? ICYMI, last year we had Chris Foerster at OL Coach now we've got Bill Callahan.  Moses btw was a 3rd rounder, not a 1st.

Also, Scherff is a LT moving to RT. Many draftniks are projecting G, but that's just media speach. He did play LT in College. Also, the fact that he project better at G doesn't mean he'll bust at T.

Considering the way some are acting right now, looks like we should just forfeit all our remaining draft picks and give them to whoever ask so we're not embarrassing anyone anymore.

If Scherff bust and Leonard Williams bust as well, that'll be another first rounder bust added to this long list of Heath Shuler or Andre Johnson (wasn't he a 2nd rounder?)

If Scherff boom and Williams bust, you'll look stupid.

If both boom, everybody's pleased.

Two days ago Mc was god falling to the Redskins, maybe we should fire him right now for not going Leonard Williams?

There's some people on this forum that seem to have done a lot of research into Scherff and have issues with his play and are complaining based on that.

There's some people who were huge on Leonard Williams being an all-pro type of defensive player and are upset we passed on him.

There's also a group of people I think that are similar to Jay Ried this morning...who hate this pick not because of who the pick is, or who was passed up, but are deep down upset because it's being presented as an "all-in on Robert Griffin" pick or a "our O-Line isn't that good" pick...and those notion hurts the agenda and narrative they've been pushing for months now.

From NFL.com

Washington Redskins

Draft pick: OL Brandon Scherff (No. 5 overall)
Grade: C+
The skinny: GM Scot McCloughan is one of the best evaluators in the league, but Scherff was a big reach, even if he lives up to his potential. Failing to trade down and passing on the best player in the draft (Leonard Williams) is going to be something the team might regret, even if Scherff becomes a top-flight tackle or guard.

Can someone explain to me why we would regret passing on Williams if Scherff becomes a top-flight tackle or gaurd? Seems like everything I've read says Scherff could end up being really good, but that doesn't matter because Williams was the better pick. That doesn't make sense to me.

I'd be willing to bet that no matter how much research we may have done into any of these players, Scot has done more.  This isn't Vinny, who had a track record of being incompetent making draft picks.  This guy has legitimate credibility at this.

The guy lives and breathes this stuff, and by all accounts is one of the best at it.

I can get people who say I would have preferred Williams over Scherff, but then you have people who are absolutely livid because they know for a fact that Williams will be the second coming of JJ Watt and Scherff will be Tony Mandarich.

It's a shame that having that superpower has only provided them the opportunity to rant on internet forums and not use those powers of foresight for the good of mankind.

From NFL.com

Washington Redskins

The skinny: GM Scot McCloughan is one of the best evaluators in the league, but Scherff was a big reach, even if he lives up to his potential. Failing to trade down and passing on the best player in the draft (Leonard Williams) is going to be something the team might regret, even if Scherff becomes a top-flight tackle or guard.

Can someone explain to me why we would regret passing on Williams if Scherff becomes a top-flight tackle or gaurd? Seems like everything I've read says Scherff could end up being really good, but that doesn't matter because Williams was the better pick. That doesn't make sense to me.

I remember last year, reading a lot of NFL.com writeups on players where I had the feeling that their report had different sentences written by different people. 

I remember the writeup on one receiver, inder "strengths", saying that the player had a huge catch radius, and then, under "Weaknesses", saying that he had short arms and poor hands. 

If Scherff is an OL starter for us, for 10 years, then I don't give a **** what kind of career LWilliams has. 

I remember last year, reading a lot of NFL.com writeups on players where I had the feeling that their report had different sentences written by different people. 

I remember the writeup on one receiver, inder "strengths", saying that the player had a huge catch radius, and then, under "Weaknesses", saying that he had short arms and poor hands. 

If Scherff is an OL starter for us, for 10 years, then I don't give a **** what kind of career LWilliams has. 

Exactly. If Scherff is a quality starter for us for the next decade and considered one of the best at his position (assuming that's what they mean by top-flight) then why would I care what Williams is doing?

It just doesn't make sense. "Yeah Scherff is good and has potential for a really good career, but they still blew the pick". Okay.

From NFL.com

Washington Redskins

We took a fantastic proposition at a key positional need. So did the 4 teams above us in the draft order. Why is it that we are singled out for passing on Williams?

Also, terrible grammar.

"Failing to trade down and passing on the best player in the draft is going to be something the team might regret"

IS going to be something the team MIGHT regret? 

Dreadful prose. 

We took a fantastic proposition at a key positional need. So did the 4 teams above us in the draft order. Why is it that we are singled out for passing on Williams?

Also, terrible grammar.

"Failing to trade down and passing on the best player in the draft is going to be something the team might regret"

IS going to be something the team MIGHT regret? 

Dreadful prose. 

Lol I didn't even catch that.

"The Redskins definitely might regret not taking Williams. Why is that? Because!"

why we would regret passing on Williams if Scherff becomes a top-flight tackle or gaurd? Seems like everything I've read says Scherff could end up being really good, but that doesn't matter because Williams was the better pick. That doesn't make sense to me.

good point 

From NFL.com

Washington Redskins

So they recognize Scot is one of the best evaluators in the league.

They say Scherrf is a big reach, even if he lives up to his potential.  His potential is All Pro tackle.

They say we should have traded down but they have no clue what we were offered if anything and they have no idea who the teams below us had on their draft boards.

They say Leonard Williams was the best player available, because THEY have been saying so for months now.

They say we might regret it, which pretty much applies to every team that picks any player in the draft.

They say we might regret it even if Scherff becomes a top flight tackle or guard.

This is the fail I was referring to when my double post mysteriously became just one edited post that now offered no information.  I blame Mara.

EDIT:  Given the above, I feel even better knowing that the morons who wrote this don't feel Scot did what they would have done.

Another thing that annoys me is that guys saying we could have gotten Scherff if we traded down. Traded down to who? The Giants apparently really liked Scherff and were going to take him at #9.

So with our pick at #5, that means we would have had to trade with the Jets (why would they move up 1 spot), the Bears (were expecting to get White all along) or the Falcons (wanted a pass rusher and there were plenty still there). So please show me who we were going to trade down with and still get Scherff?

And something that hasn't been talked about is maybe this pick had to do with the Collins fallout. Maybe the Skins didn't like any of the other potential 1st round OL talent and knew if they traded down too far and couldn't still get Scherff, they weren't in love with any of the other choices.

Archived