Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Redskins Draft Thread,(all rounds)

PCS

Trading around is the kind of thing that sounds super easy in theory, but is actually REALLY HARD.

Like in our mock, I put 21 and 28 up for trade downs, 0 nibbles.  I think I got one or two PMs regarding trading down in later rounds.

In another mock draft (the SQ one I posted two days ago) I represented Oakland, and Mariota fell to 4 bc the guy for the Titans didn't buy their interest and assumed a trade down would happen IRL, but no one traded with him.

Or me at 4.

Or the Redskins at 5.

Mariota fell all the way to 6 where the Jets took him (interestingly our only mistakes in the top 8 was switching Williams and Mariota, but then we picked La'el Collins as we mocked before the murder charges happened...whoops).

Trading up or down is a two way street.  And so often its hard to find that partner to work with you.

Now, Leonard Williams was on the board, yes, and might have been trade bait, but we honestly don't know what we got in the way of offers.

I imagine Collins being off our board probably impacted our odds of trading down.  If we like Scherff and also liked Collins, but felt there was a major drop off after that with Flowers/Humphries/Clemmings/Peat, then Collins being got really refocuses our board on Scherff.  It raises the price someone needs to pay because we aren't just moving down a few spots, we're sacrificing our chance to get an OL of the skill level we wanted.

Anyways, Scherff will be a good pick.  Not flashy or exciting, but Scot's proven people wrong before plenty of times when they're nay saying.

No team ever went broke by drafting pro-bowlers.

I mean, they might go broke financially because pro-bowlers are expensive to keep around :P

But yes, no team ever did poorly if they consistently drafted pro-bowlers.

Just woke up to the news here in London.

Am absolutely ecstatic. We take arguably the best available offensive lineman in the first round? I think I'm still dreaming.

You know, you should really have Basil Rathbone for your avatar.

Or, at least Jeremy Brett. :)

How about Lou Riddick last night? I thought he did a tremendous job. Now if they could just phase out Boomer and Chucky.

Boomer gotta go. Please give the torch to Wingo already. Think starting tonight the crew will be Wingo, Mel, McShay, Riddick or Polian

I'm as surprised as anyone Williams fell to us and that we passed on him... But to act like that's crazy or that he was definitely the BPA and we passed on him due to need has next to no basis outside of Oline being a need for us.

But that ignores how valuable a stud Olinemen is, anyway, and how that position will always be valued more at the top of the draft (as once again indicated by the amount of Olinemen that went in the 1st this year).

It also ignores how four other teams passed on this "consensus best pick". Why? Every one of those teams, except maybe the Bucs, would've been able to immediately insert him into their lineup.

I don't see why it's so hard to believe the Breer report that we had Fowler, Cooper and Sherff as the top three on our board, knowing the reports about how much we love Fowler and Cooper all offseason and knowing the four teams ahead of us passed on Williams as well.

We are assuming it was a reach pick based on need because Sherff was projected, at the most, to go two or three more picks after ours (Giants the latest) by the media? I mean, really?

Boomer gotta go. Please give the torch to Wingo already. Think starting tonight the crew will be Wingo, Mel, McShay, Riddick or Polian

That would be an exponentially better broadcast.

I thought the NFLN panel was weak last night as well. Mayock didn't really have his A-game energy, David Shaw is meh and I still have no clue why they rely on Mooch for player analysis...the guy's a complete space-cadet.

Glad to see that most are talking sense today although the occasional raving loon adds comic relief.

I think there are multiple elements at work here, several already mentioned like La'el Collins being scratched off boards, and I think Scot did the smart thing. We take Scherff, Mara wears his disappointed pruney face and takes Flowers, suddenly a lot of that O line talent teams were counting on being available in Rd2 might not be. There was an unexpected run on big uglies in Rd1, and players we value got pushed into the next round, making our pick there more valuable to use or trade. We can't say how Scot & Co. overall assessed this year's crop of talent compared to next either, so maybe this was the time to go O line with something else in mind next year.

Bolstered the line, scrood the Maras, stampeded the herd into taking players we wouldn't,...... sounds good to me.

Still not happy about the pick, but I'm also not stupid enough to think I know better. I reserve judgment for now. I'll also be all over it if Williams excels like most think and Scherff is meh or worse.

From everything I've seen, everyone expects Scherff to have a bright future in the league. They just think we took him 4 picks too early, which makes no sense to me.

Call me crazy, but picking LW would be analogous to Rams getting Gurley. Probably 2nd best player in draft, but you know what, just not gonna move the meter. Fact is, I said it the minute they drafted him... I don't think he's really gonna make a difference in W/L's.

Same with DT. I love fat boys, but really, a 'all pro vs a very good' DT is marginal difference IMO. Further, seems like landing interior Dlineman in FA is a lot easier and cheaper than pursuing quality FA Olineman. So, getting Scherff eliminates need for filling need in future 4-5 years at high price positions. 

Scherff pick very smart, economical and fills huge need. IT MAKES GREAT SENSE EVERYONE. LW has not been given his golden HOF jacket yet.

Call me crazy, but picking LW would be analogous to Rams getting Gurley. Probably 2nd best player in draft, but you know what, just not gonna move the meter. Fact is, I said it the minute they drafted him... I don't think he's really gonna make a difference in W/L's.

I can see that. I can even see the folks who say how many times has Watt led the Titans to the playoffs? That said, I'd still want a Watt even though I am content with Scherff (more than content really since I've been screaming o-line since Gibbs 2)

Yea- Burgold, me to with Watt. But, are these comparisons fair. LW is not a 'edge rusher' like Watt. LW was essentially going to be 3-4 DE. 5-8 sacks a year and contributes to the disruption in middle. 

Not underscoring it by any means, but not really fair to say we missed on a Watt. Fact is, most reports had us going Fowler over Scherff, so GMSM 'wanted Watt' to.

I can see that. I can even see the folks who say how many times has Watt led the Titans to the playoffs? That said, I'd still want a Watt even though I am content with Scherff (more than content really since I've been screaming o-line since Gibbs 2)

if watt is leading the Titans to the playoffs he's doing it wrong

From NFL.com

Washington Redskins

Draft pick: OL Brandon Scherff (No. 5 overall)

Grade: C+

The skinny: GM Scot McCloughan is one of the best evaluators in the league, but Scherff was a big reach, even if he lives up to his potential. Failing to trade down and passing on the best player in the draft (Leonard Williams) is going to be something the team might regret, even if Scherff becomes a top-flight tackle or guard.

Lame analysis.  It was not a big reach for Scherff.  In a perfect world, it would've been nice to have traded down with Atlanta for an extra pick, but that opportunity probably wasn't available.  If we wanted Scherff, we had to take him where we did.  Besides, I think Kiper had Scherff as his #6 overall best player and Mayock had him at #8 overall.  That's not the definition of a big reach.

From everything I've seen, everyone expects Scherff to have a bright future in the league. They just think we took him 4 picks too early, which makes no sense to me.

You're going to think they took him 14 picks too early if Scherff ends up at guard and Williams turns into Calais Campbell or better.

Not saying I know better, but the move is surprising.

Apparently our move is to let good/great DTs get past us.

Tiresome...many of us have been saying all along:

1) none of us know, or claim to know SM's draft board. We understand that SM is a true BPA purist, but that his player evaluations are...different than the norm. So taking Scherff as his BPA is not all that shocking or complicated as others make it out to be.

2) in order to dance (trade back), you need a partner. If you don't get the offer YOU like, then you take the guy you want...regardless if it's 2, 5, or 15 spots too early.

3) i really don't believe anybody (who wasn't being emotional or short with redundancy) was saying that the was no way in hell SM would take Scherff at 5. Many were cautioning that he shouldn't, or that it wasn't the smartest value choice based on all of draft history of all the times...but hardly anyone said he wouldn't. In fact...the primary contention was that we had absolutely no real idea what to expect, & that was the best part.

4) Scherff has issues, but if you think he's good enough clay for Callahan & Co. to mould into a stud, then by all means...make that pick & coach him up.

5) we all have players we like...but most of us are behind SM 100%. many of us coveted LW, but i'll gladly accept us getting an all-pro road grater if he in fact turns out that way.

6) this is just pick 1...the real fruits of SM's draft labor will be determined on the backs of day 3 picks. Still a loooong way to go.

It's a reach by 5 picks tops... WTF

Yet, Jax passed on consensus BPA in draft too, as did OAK. Look, these guys are great in top 6, and I really don't care if he transitions to LG. I imagine a day where we're so good we have the luxury of picking elite talent at LG in 1st round :)

You're going to think they took him 14 picks too early if Scherff ends up at guard and Williams turns into Calais Campbell or better.

Not saying I know better, but the move is surprising.

Apparently our move is to let good/great DTs get past us.

So what if he ends up at gaurd? If he plays well and is on this team for the next decade plus, that's all I want.

If Williams was that good, then why weren't teams beating down our door trying to trade up for him or with the Jets who view him as a luxury?

5. Washington: Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa

This is a forward-thinking pick. Given Trent Williams’s success at left tackle (three Pro Bowls since being drafted fourth overall in 2010), Scherff likely will play either right tackle or guard, where his style is best-suited anyway. Some don’t believe in drafting a non-left tackle high in the first round. But with the proliferation of shotgun-based aerial attacks, pass protection concepts have changed so that the blind side guardian is no longer the most pivotal player. Instead, all five positions are closer to being of equal value. And ask the Cowboys with Zack Martin or the Ravens with Marshal Yanda how uplifting a high-level guard can be. With offensive line professor Bill Callahan being hired over from Dallas, it’s clear that Washington wants to run the football. Scherff helps there. And it should be noted that Williams’s contract expires after this season. Scherff’s presence gives the club options and negotiating leverage.

Needed next: Quarterback, but we know first-year GM Scot McCloughan won’t go there. With an otherwise loaded offense, he can afford to take the best defensive player available. There are holes to fill at pass rusher and linebacker.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/01/nfl-draft-first-round-analysis/

Interesting that he thinks our offense is loaded. Definitely don't think we need a QB in rounds 2 or 3.

As far as the whole Scherff vs Williams thing goes. No one knows how either of these guys will pan out. According to this ESPN 2011 draft ranking Watt was the 4th ranked DE. Not 4th ranked player, 4th DE (16th overall). Kerrigan was the 5th DE (17th overall) by the way. Yet here we are in 2015 and Watt is probably the best player from that draft right now. NO ONE was saying that leading up to the 2011 draft.

I look at the potential impact the two players could have on this team, this year. Assuming both players are good enough to start and contribute in year one which is the bigger impact?

Williams starting over Hatcher, Paea, or Jean-Francois

OR

Scherff starting over Compton, Ty Nesekhe, Edawn Coughman (those last two are currently listed as the other RTs on the roster)

Could Williams go on to become a combination of Reggie White and Warren Sapp? Sure, he could also be Courtney Brown. What will probably happen in 3-4 years is a bunch of revisionist history about how we should have picked Arik Armstead or Andrus Peat or some other person NO ONE here said we should draft.

Like a lot of you, I wanted Williams. Also like many, I was hoping we could at least trade back if he wasn't going to be the pick.

But Gruden seemed to suggest that there wasn't a viable trade-back option. And at any rate, in addition to the LW shoulder concern, Riddick suggested that he wasn't nearly as high on Williams' play as many others were. I'm not suggesting that opinion trumps all others, but I think our team explored the possibilities and ended up taking the player they legitimately thought was the best.

So I'm hoping Pot Roast, Paea, and big Bake bring the nasty. And I'm going to get hyped about Scherff and the throwback mentality on the O-line. Let's do this! HTTR!!!

Archived