Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

1 hour ago, tshile said:

The problem with staying is even if your house survives the infrastructure may be destroyed. Power, running water, sewer not just inoperable but spilling into the open environment via flooding. 

I don’t understand the people that stay. 

if you want rough it go camp somewhere and come back when it’s over. 

I think some people are unwilling to acknowledge how powerless they are. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

The problem with staying is even if your house survives the infrastructure may be destroyed. Power, running water, sewer not just inoperable but spilling into the open environment via flooding. 

I don’t understand the people that stay. 

if you want rough it go camp somewhere and come back when it’s over. 

Just learned my friend in Bonita Springs is staying.  A bit south of the projected landfall, but it will be interesting to hear from him how it goes.  And I agree, the downed infrastructure will probably be most problematic for him, I think he will survive easily enough.

My mom waited too long and wasn't able to evacuate (because she is stubborn) so she evacuated to Englewood Beach (a barrier island because why not).  She texted me that she has lost power and cell service (yes I am aware that she texted that to me).  I'm texting her news updates now.

Also, she said she left her battery radio in her car and when she tried to go get it, the wind knocked her down.  I told her "way to go former Cub Scout Den Leader.  Always Be Prepared!"

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

My mom waited too long and wasn't able to evacuate (because she is stubborn) so she evacuated to Englewood Beach (a barrier island because why not).  She texted me that she has lost power and cell service (yes I am aware that she texted that to me).  I'm texting her news updates now.

Also, she said she left her battery radio in her car and when she tried to go get it, the wind knocked her down.  I told her "way to go former Cub Scout Den Leader.  Always Be Prepared!"

They're broadcasting from Englewood on the Weather Channel as I type this...

I have some family in Tampa.  I asked how they are doing and my cousin simply replied with a video of the flag outside his house flapping angrily.  

As with @tshile I am also fascinated by hurricanes.  My "bucket list" includes the entry "Experience a hurricane."  No like a cat 5 or anything, but I'd like to be in a nice cat 2, and maybe walk down to the beach like a weather person. 

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I have some family in Tampa.  I asked how they are doing and my cousin simply replied with a video of the flag outside his house flapping angrily.  

As with @tshile I am also fascinated by hurricanes.  My "bucket list" includes the entry "Experience a hurricane."  No like a cat 5 or anything, but I'd like to be in a nice cat 2, and maybe walk down to the beach like a weather person. 

As a kid, we rode out a hurricane (Andrew I think?) on Nags Head because my parents knew better than the experts.  That was fun.

• Haha 3

Yeah I could do a sissy hurricane like a cat 1 or 2. 

but once you get to 3 you’re just being dumb. I’ve lived through a few of them, and it doesn’t matter how bad it is for you - if the whole county is inoperable then it’s a miserable experience. 

like - as soon as the hurricane is gone you might as well pack up and leave. Except that’s probably impossible. So cool - you survived an awesome storm. Enjoy no running water, no electricity, and wading through literal **** and piss everywhere you go. For like 2 weeks. 

yeah sounds like a badass good time 🙄

(not to mention my connection to emergency response people has let me see just how often these people that wont leave have to then be saved after the hurricane is gone, and the immense toll it puts on said emergency workers and their families dealing with people who think their badasses but can’t go 2 days without power before they start crying for help)

That said college parties by candlelight were dope. 

I am surprised none of the houses got burned down…

Edited by tshile