Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

2 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

This isn’t good either-  outside tampa in the gulf- that ****s going to tsunami back in

I believe the way my buddy described it was that when hurricanes land south of Tampa, it does empty out the bay, but ultimately the damage is minimal. 

it’s when it lands just north, like just above Clearwater, that they get wrecked because the frontside force of the hurricane shoved everything right up the bay. 

that backend force of the hurricane is significantly less destructive 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

None of y'all grew up in Virginia Beach, I guess. Gloria I remember most.

I was there for… Isabel? Whatever came in 2003. 

and the hurricane itself wasn’t so bad it’d kill you for staying (although I’m sure people died)

but the area was uninhabitable for a while. I think we came back to campus after 2 weeks and still many of our houses had no power. Hence college parties by candlelight comment :)

I recall the national guard handing out water. And sewer not really working. That’s why I think staying is dumb. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I lived in Kings Grant like two blocks from the lynnhaven river. Thing swelled up into the back yard. 🤣

Was there about four years ago n its all dried up a lot. Not really a river/bay anymore. 

Did you go to FC? Or was that after school. 

As for my area, I grew up just off of Baxter Road in Kempsville, our townhouse was near the teebox of the 16th hole (when it became a par 3) of Kemspville Greens Golf Course. I remember bodysurfing (mind you i was like 10-12ish) on the course when it was pouring before the hurricane winds would hit. 😄 That course would take on so much water...and of course kids were allowed to do stupid **** then. 

I think the only major wind damage we got from Gloria was shutters being blown off. Of course, that's when you used to tape the windows and what not. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Did you go to FC? Or was that after school. 

Nope. I went to Kingston Elementary school there. Was in first grade that fall when Gloria hit. Slept in a food pantry closet that night. 🤣

Been through a lot of hurricanes growing up in the South. Think the most famous was Hugo. Sounds like Ian gonna bring a lot more rain here than Hugo did.

My aunt lives down on Sanibel Island Florida. Nice area tho I always get sick when I go to Florida. It doesn't agree with me. 🤢

Edited by Captain Wiggles

41 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

They've already changed all school districts to "online only" here in ATL for Friday and the food festival that I was supposed to be working Saturday for my restaurant has been postponed until the 15th. 

My pal here is still under the illusion that people are going to attend his pig-pickin' on Saturday. I love me some hog, but seriously.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, JCB said:

My pal here is still under the illusion that people are going to attend his pig-pickin' on Saturday. I love me some hog, but seriously.

Yeah, I'm going to work at the restaurant Saturday...and I plan on standing around all day because everyone will be enjoying all the stuff they cleared from the grocery store shelves.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Tucker Carlson has a $2.9M house on an island riiiiiight next to Fort Myers.

Hope it gets ****ed the **** up.

Even moreso now that we know that hurricanes are a scam...

Tucker Carlson's Latest Bizarre Conspiracy Theory: Hurricanes

Tucker Carlson shared his skepticism about hurricanes on Tuesday as Hurricane Ian is expected to make its way toward Florida this week.

The Fox News host teased an upcoming segment about Hurricane Ian by implying hurricanes are a “scam.”

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

No.  Rode right through one though.  Ripped a few hatches clean off the ship. Amd went up on the bridge with NVGs and sow the entire bow up to the forward torrent go under water.

Woah.

I had to do 2, trying to tie every ****ing thing down *we had file cabinets because everything was in paper triples at the time, lol* for 5 days ahead of time, then getting off the mooring (I was 1st deck division), just to run away from the damn thing and not beat the pier to death (Kings Bay was brand new then)...and I **** you not...they were making us swab the decks while underway in a ****in' hurricane. 

I missed ship's movement for the third.  That was a whole different episode.  Held on RILOA for about 45 minutes.  No charges.  I lived off-base, and my roommate (HT1) was in the stay-behind crew, so I mustered with the Master Diver, fished and slept for 4 days.  :ols: