Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

18 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

No.  Rode right through one though.  Ripped a few hatches clean off the ship. Amd went up on the bridge with NVGs and sow the entire bow up to the forward torrent go under water.

Why would you go through it? I don’t understand that decision. 

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

Why would you go through it? I don’t understand that decision. 

Fast frigates are the smallest, and if you're not one of them, you don't move fast.  Trust me, I was on a submarine tender...they move super slow and you can't out-run it if you're not ready to.  My ship was meant to service submarines in port...we only went out when we had to dump some nuclear waste, and then we were right back in, 2 days max.

How bad is Hurricane Ian? So bad that Florida Waffle Houses are closing

When Waffle House closes, you know it's going to be bad.

The popular restaurant chain known for its waffles and smothered hash browns rarely closes it doors, often providing food and resources to first responders during natural disasters.

But every so often, like Wednesday in Florida, the weather is just too dangerous.

"We do have closures in mandatory evacuation zones and locations within low-lying areas that are subject to severe flooding," Waffle House Vice President of Public Relations Njeri Boss told USA TODAY on  Wednesday morning.

As of just after 11 a.m. EDT, 21 locations were closed across the state from Naples along the Gulf of Mexico north some 120 miles to Bradenton in Manatee County, Boss said.

The Waffle House Storm Center, a team that mobilizes during extreme weather, has been monitoring the storm's path since Ian became a named storm, Boss said.

Click on the link for the full article

Waffle House Index

10 minutes ago, China said:

Now I’m going to have to dig up the footage from Trump touring the aftermath of a hurricane, I think in NC. He was talking to a man, standing among the ruins of what used to be his home. In his yard was a large boat that had washed in from the storm surge and ended up there. Trump became highly focused on the idea that the man might now legally own that boat because it ended up in his yard. 

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

Now I’m going to have to dig up the footage from Trump touring the aftermath of a hurricane, I think in NC. He was talking to a man, standing among the ruins of what used to be his home. In his yard was a large boat that had washed in from the storm surge and ended up there. Trump became highly focused on the idea that the man might now legally own that boat because it ended up in his yard. 

Trump: Finding the token of grift in sea of disaster. 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

5 hours ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

As a kid, we rode out a hurricane (Andrew I think?) on Nags Head because my parents knew better than the experts.  That was fun.

No kidding, I was in NC during hurricane Andrew too. From what I remember it wasn't that bad by the time it made it that far up the coast. 

44 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

No kidding, I was in NC during hurricane Andrew too. From what I remember it wasn't that bad by the time it made it that far up the coast. 

The one I'm thinking of was bad.  Ivan maybe?  Probably 1992 time frame.  I just remember thinking I was gonna die because my parents were dumb.

Reporter defends putting condom on microphone during hurricane broadcast

A Florida reporter captured viewers’ attention Wednesday (local time) when the condom on her microphone flashed on the screen during an outdoor hurricane broadcast.

841d2fd0ca4e5bd013838a8d22b48ad2

NBC2’s Kyla Galer was reporting on Hurricane Ian’s landfall from a parking lot in Fort Myers, Florida, when viewers became distracted by the bulbous rubber casing on her microphone, the New York Post reports.

“NBC 2 practising safe microphone reporting during hurricane Ian,” tweeted one viewer.

“@NBCNewsNow really got this woman out here holding a mic wrapped in a condom up to her face,” chimed in another.

Galer quickly defended the practice on her Instagram Stories.

“A lot of people are asking what is on my microphone,” she said.

“It is what you think it is. It’s a condom. It helps protect the gear. You can’t get these mics wet. There’s a lot of wind and a lot of rain, so we gotta do what we gotta do and that is put a condom on the microphone.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2