Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

And this is in Minnesota:

Major highway buckles amid scorching heat wave

On Tuesday, Minnesota’s Department of Transportation tweeted out two pictures of pavement buckles on I-94 in Moorhead and on an unidentified highway.

Pavement buckles were spotted on several Minnesota roads this week as temperatures soared, presenting a danger for vehicles.

AA1erMFj.img?w=631&h=356&m=6

On Tuesday, Minnesota's Department of Transportation (MnDOT) tweeted two pictures of pavement buckles on I-94 in Moorhead, located in the west-central part of Minnesota near the border of South Dakota. Buckles happen when a segment of the road doesn't have enough space to contract or expand, according to the department.

"If you spot a pavement buckle, slow down, change lanes carefully, and call 911 to report it," the MnDOT said.

Buckles occur during hot spells, primarily along sections of highways where the pavement is old and weak. When the sun heats the pavement, it expands to fill the space constructed for it, but buckles occur when it exceeds that space, according to the MnDOT. Pavement buckles also occur because of thermal expansion, with moisture that previously seeped into a crack or joint weakening the pavement and causing it to warp

Excessive heat warnings were underway in parts of southern Minnesota on Thursday after temperatures continued to rise in the state.

In Moorhead, Minnesota, near where the MnDOT reported a pavement buckle, temperatures haven't dipped below 80 degrees Fahrenheit since July 17. On Wednesday, Moorhead reached a high of 98 degrees, the hottest it has been since June 19, 2022, when the mercury spiked to 101 degrees.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

103 today, better than the 108 yesterday.  **** me but I don't care for the new normal.  It's rained once in the last month and a half and should have been raining most afternoons.  Really hoping that it's just going to be later in the year now.

El nino is impacting us too. Predictions for a wet winter.  Can't come too soon.

16 hours ago, China said:

Well, we'll see if my wife's flight is delayed.  She's supposed to be arriving at 6 pm tomorrow.

She got on her plane only for it to return to the gate and deplane.  We’ll see if she makes it home tonight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Please keep us updated, hopefully all goes smoothly for her.

She evenually made it home after a 4 and a half hour delay.

Flight was supposed to get in at 6, and came in at 10:30.

This was after a flight she had last week where she had similar issues and got in at 3:30 in the morning, the rental car counter was closed, and she had to find a hotel for just a couple of hourse so she could at least get a little sleep.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1