Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Discussions on a heavily criticized OL

DaneSkin

So, I'm not quite 100% that a top 5 pick on a G vs T doesn't matter, and I'm not 100% that Moses and Scherff will work out as a tandem (particularly in the short term), but... the bottom line is that Moses is ahead of Compton on the depth chart. Add that to the consensus that Scherff will make an excellent G (far better than Chester I'd imagine), and our line looks like it should be improved over last year, with plenty of room to grow.

Also love, as others have mentioned, that we're looking to the draft to stock the oline.

As **** as the right side of the o line is, I cannot fathom anyone getting mad over any new blood being infused in the team.

Football doesn't really translate to fancy stats like baseball and hockey but I've got to expect that any combo of Scherff and Moses has to be worth more than Chester/Polumbus. Those two were worse than replacement level players.

The fact that they are gone is enough to excite me

Now, before we all get too giddy over the new right side of our line, . . . .

I think we should note that we're essentially starting two rookies over there.  (Although, two highly drafted and scouted rookies.) 

There's gonna be some "Aw, ****!"s.  Probably for at least a year. 

I think we should note that we're essentially starting two rookies over there. (Although, two highly drafted and scouted rookies.)

There's gonna be some "Aw, ****!"s. Probably for at least a year.

thats fine. These guys can improve. The **** from last year couldn't.

I am excited to see the oline being addressed. I remember moses was expected to go in the first round and he fell to us last year. So im not surprised to see morgan excelling. Especially in callahan's power running schemes. Long is also A guy drafted last year who is more of A mauler.  If you think back to last years training camp and into pre season games the oline was beat in short and goal situations . It seems to me that the fo was envisioning a power running game since the 2014 draft. Enter scherff another power guy. I would rather have A beast guard then A less than average tackle. With Moses/Scherff we have some talent on the right side. We are going to pound the rock so hard this year. Robert has nice slide of hand on his play action passes and great accuracy when given the time. With this young talented line i expect a ground and pound and heavy dose of play action to help out in pass blocking and give robert some time to work. Now thats something to build on. 

I think we should note that we're essentially starting two rookies over there. (Although, two highly drafted and scouted rookies.)

There's gonna be some "Aw, ****!"s. Probably for at least a year.

Definitely agree, but Moses isn't a rookie. He's a 2nd year vet within the same system. So it's really not as bad as it might seem going into the season. I'm sure they'll take some time to gel, but I get the sense there will be fewer "rookie mistakes" than people expect.

I think that if Moses is truly playing well enough to be considered a starting RT, that is the biggest story of the entire off-season.  

Yup. I haven't seen it though - granted - I've only seen limited video of him from camp. Hopefully I'll be surprised. I suppose we'll see when the  real bullets start flying. But I'm not holding my breath that he's any better at this point in his career than Polumbus was last year.

Definitely agree, but Moses isn't a rookie. He's a 2nd year vet within the same system. So it's really not as bad as it might seem going into the season. I'm sure they'll take some time to gel, but I get the sense there will be fewer "rookie mistakes" than people expect.

Step 1:  Admit you have a problem.

Step 2:  Draft your own lineman.

Step 3:  Play your own.

Step 4:  Draft to improve your own.

We are at Step 2.  You don't build Rome in a year.  Hopefully fans learn the value of drafting your own.

I think some underestimate how heavily a LT should factor into grading an OL. Some may argue otherwise but salaries of LTs are proof. We have the foundation of a great line in Trent and there is no denying it.  All we needed was a GM trying to win on the field, and an OL coach that is not a holdover from Shanahan's failures. 

We were not built for power and it has been hard to watch for 5 years now.  We couldn't even run a QB sneak. We literally could not be any softer up the gut than we have been so there is only way to go and that is up.

Things have changed and changed quickly. The way I see it Kory is really the only holdover from Mike's mobile era that is not a good fit for power, and LeRib is quickly being groomed to be the mauler in the middle to firm up and anchor the pocket. You can only finesse so much as a C in the NFL.  I may boldly predict we see Josh inserted in the lineup this fall but need to see him in preseason first.  If not him maybe Long. Many here claim Kory to be an elite center (thanks in part to Cooley) but I don't see him built to protect RG3/Cousins/young QBs the way they need it, to gain confidence in the pocket. Confidence in the pocket is at the root of a young QBs development and its starts at C. 

Williams/Willie Kujo/Lauvao Kory/Rib/Long Scherff Moses/Compton  

Only 1 rookie starting to those concerned. 

The funny parallel if we do go with Williams Scherff, Licht, Long, and Moses is that Licht becomes Bostic. Bostic was a tiny undersized center amongst a line of giants.

Now, the new center is again a heady, small technician. What most probably don't remember is how the team was always trying to upgrade, replace Bostic, but the savvy vet kept winning the spot.

Now, we are miles away before we can talk about a new generation of hogs, but it is fun to think of a large, mauling line with that heady center.

Leave it up to internet fans to make a big deal over this.  If this looks bad on ANYONE it's Spencer Long.

Apparently  TW / Luavo / Licht / Scherff / Moses 

looks better then

TW / Luavo / Licht / Long / Scherff

Chris Chester was bad at RG, so bad he made Luavo look like a stud.  Even Trent Williams looks weak when everyone else is sub par.  I think by the end of the year Long should replace Luavo, if not he needs to be dealt for a low draft pick or cut all together.

There is some teeth mashing that Scherff at Guard means that the the 'Skins wasted the #5 overall pick, because Guard isn't as big a need as tackle.

They've had their chance.  Allow me to retort.

That is the biggest bunch of stupid I've heard from a cast of misfits who are trying to force a story where there isn't one.  I've never quite understood why Guards and Centers weren't considered as important as the tackles.  They are closer to the QB, responsible for moving the largest members of the defense, and if they don't do their jobs, you give up the most important part of the field: The middle.

Screw it.  If Scherff is an all pro guard, and Moses turns into a good RT, you've upgraded the line by miles. And you're providing toughness right up the middle.  

That should allow the QBs not to have a DT in their face in .4 seconds.  This would be an improvement.  

I think that if Moses is truly playing well enough to be considered a starting RT, that is the biggest story of the entire off-season.  That allows Scherff to play Guard, and you've upgraded your two biggest weaknesses on the OL from last year with 2 draft picks.  That's huge.  That's what teams like the Ravens, Seahawks, and Patriots do.  That is very un-Redskin.  

The last piece of the puzzle is for somebody, either Long or Kouandijo to grab the RG spot.  And then to quote Lord Darth Vader,"The circle is now complete."

Btw, this franchise built a hell of a record in the 80's with Grimm, Bostic and May in the middle of the line.  I'd take that again in a heartbeat.  

Someone give this man a cookie. Agree 100%.

It used to be that premier pass rushers only played on the blind side, which is why LT was so important, but now Ds are always moving guys around. Remember last year when Houston moved Watt over to Polombus's side and just rolled over him play after play? And a lot of outside pass rush guys get moved inside to take advantage of spread offenses. The only real advantage the D has over the O nowadays is pass rushing athletes against inferior Gs. Investing premier talent into the inside of the OL is very important nowadays.

And as far as value out of #5 goes, would you rather have a good player, or a great player? Because I think Scherff could be a great G, but at T he's probably no better then Jon Jansen(Jansen was a fine player but he was never elite). I think the coaches see that too. I'm glad Callahan is on board because in years past we would have forced a square peg into a round hole. You play your players at their best possible positions.

Are LGs really that much more important than RGs though? We saw Scherff going at Watt the past few days, and I believe that exemplifies the notion that coordinators these days are tired of being conventional. Every defense is trying to be a "hybrid" of some sort.

What I'm about to say might not hold much weight to you or many others, but I believe it to be true...

Being that lg's deal with the Aaron Donald's and suh's in the league, yes they are more important. If I'm not mistaken scherff worked against watt while he was still working at rt.

If the final plan is to have scherff at rt, then rg makes sense, but I'd prefer if we had him at LG if we're considering making him a guard full-time. Not only would his year 1 transition be easier, his athleticism would be a lot more valuable there.

Moving him to guard doesn't make him a bust, as I always thought he was a guard, but I would at least be a little shocked if he ends his career as the 5th best player in this class. Certainly I look forward to our line looking better this year. With Moses stepping up it should give rg3 little excuse if he fails, which is one of the biggest positives. Mccloughan needed a legitimate year to evaluate what rg3 can do behind a professional line.

There's gonna be some "Aw, ****!"s.  Probably for at least a year.

Well we've had that from veterans who just were not physically good enough for a few years now - at least with these young players there is some physical ability and the hope they will improve with the experience! Your right though there will be some growing pains.

Definitely agree, but Moses isn't a rookie...but I get the sense there will be fewer "rookie mistakes" than people expect.

He did have the chance to go through all this the first time and probably recognized where he needed to improve to get on the field, did so, and we should see less mistakes than if he'd started as a rookie.

Having 2 guys start for the first time is not the same as having 2 rookies start for the first time. Actually, IMO, having Scherff start at guard is going to minimize the mistakes he makes, whereas having him start at RT would make the mistakes much larger and more obvious.

The team is doing something we all gave them tons of **** for not doing in the past. They're playing to the players' immediate strengths, while quite possibly getting them ready for expanded future rolls.

Well we've had that from veterans who just were not physically good enough for a few years now - at least with these young players there is some physical ability and the hope they will improve with the experience! Your right though there will be some growing pains.

I was just going to say the same thing. If we're going to see rookie mistakes, at least it will be by someone who hasn't been a starter for 5 years already and should know better.

I just noticed, our average OL weight is 317, and that includes Lich at 296 (last year we averaged 311).

If it hasn't already been posted on here. This is a good article on what Moses did with his offseason to prepare for this season:

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Morgan-Moses-Returns-With-New-Drive-/9cc7bebe-5ab4-4ffc-a0a9-552f9787be86

Nah, I hold to the past. I don't need to recreate it, but those who forget history are doomed... :)

History should inspire and guide.

The first thing we learn from history is that everybody fails to learn from history.... :) 

One thing i would like to add - Why is it those who want to pigeon hole Scherff as a bust because he might be playing at G in week 1 fail to account for what might transpire in the future . He could develop and end up playing LT... who knows... 

,,, also I have a questions for those who want to harp on about us passing on Williams for Scherff- who honestly thinks that given the top 5 in the defensive rotation Francios, Baker, Knighton, Paea and Hatcher he would have been a day 1 starter (As Sherff appears likely to be) ?

Archived