Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Discussions on a heavily criticized OL

DaneSkin

He'll turn 34 during the season and was unhappy that he'd only get $5.5M this year.  He was unhappy last year as well.  Now he's going to be stuck making a fraction of that amount, but no where near the league minimum.

If the team is going to return to greatness, it needs to spend its money developing young talent, not squeezing a couple more years out of a disgruntled veteran in hopes of getting to 8-8.

If the team is going to return to greatness, it needs to spend its money developing young talent, not squeezing a couple more years out of a disgruntled veteran in hopes of getting to 8-8.

So, I see this a lot. Are you advocating playing the youth on the roster, regardless of ability and paying them more to do it? Are you saying if we signed him, we couldn't afford the players we've already drafted?

Confusing ESism.

Currently we have SL starting at that position. Mathis would cost only slightly more (If SL could be cut in a financially doable way). Arie is going to sit, as is LeRibs regardless. So, is having SL start for slightly less money, going to make us a more or less successful team this season? Would Mathis improve our line and for only slightly more money?

For starters, SL has a guaranteed base salary of $3M this year and $1M in pro-rated bonus.  So it's not "slightly more", it's "in addition to".

There is nothing confusing about it.  Daydreaming that Mathis will be one of the few players that remain injury free well into their mid-30s doesn't cut it.  He'll probably need to play at a high level until age 37 to have a chance on being a cog in a championship team.  Not impossible, just highly unlikely.  What's confusing to me is the people on ES who want to improve the team to the point of mediocrity with players who won't be around long enough to push us past mediocrity.

If the youth on this team isn't good enough to play, at least as decent backups, then they need to be replaced.  The coaching excuse is pretty much out the window as far as OL is concerned.  My guess is that there will be young players cut at the end of pre-season that are better than what LeRib has shown so far, so pick one up unless LeRib improves his game.  Parcells gave players three years to meet expectations - sounds like a good plan to me.  If the pick up doesn't work out, go pick up someone else off a practice squad.  I believe Parcells referred to it as "churning the bottom third of the roster".

I think there are some benefits to bringing Mathis in

1) gives our inexperienced G's a better 'role model'

2) improves our oline, making it that much easier to evaluate the qbs

3) helps the competition level for our dline

Age and finances really don't make sense though. I don't necessarily care about the "well he won't be here when we're a competitive team", because placeholders have their benefits (see above).

I wouldn't be mad if they pursued him, but not sure it's the best move for us.

I think there are some benefits to bringing Mathis in

1) gives our inexperienced G's a better 'role model'

2) improves our oline, making it that much easier to evaluate the qbs

3) helps the competition level for our dline

Number 1 is almost always overrated, for me.  If anything, it gives you a year to further develop youth but that's about it.

Number 2 is certainly true to an extent... but that's also begging some thread hijacking

Number 3 is also overrated.  Orakpo had Trent Williams... Kerrigan had Polumbus... you are what you are in this league for the most part (also apply to number 1).

Number 1 is almost always overrated, for me. If anything, it gives you a year to further develop youth but that's about it.

Number 2 is certainly true to an extent... but that's also begging some thread hijacking

Number 3 is also overrated. Orakpo had Trent Williams... Kerrigan had Polumbus... you are what you are in this league for the most part (also apply to number 1).

Definitely don't want to hijack the thread. Suffice to say that an improved oline (although peripheral pass blocking is an issue as well - backs and TEs) can only help the qbs, regardless.

As for the rest - yeah, probably overrated (maybe even extremely so), but still a benefit. Moreso raising those points just to show that I can see both sides of the coin, even if I prefer the dull side (not signing Mathis).

Definitely don't want to hijack the thread. Suffice to say that an improved oline (although peripheral pass blocking is an issue as well - backs and TEs) can only help the qbs, regardless.

Which is why you'd make the signing to begin with.

I would consider the signing just because he probably has another 2 years of above average play left and I don't see him commanding a huge price tag due to his age.  As long as we don't overpay him I don't think there's anything wrong with having the best opportunity to evaluate our qb's before we make a decision for next year.

I think Mathis would be worth looking into, but really don't see this happening.

First of all let's not forget the guaranteed nature of Lauvao's contract. So landing Mathis could be a good short-term 'fix' for the Skins' O-line, but how much sense does it make to be paying a sizable sum of money to cut a 27 year old (who might have played well under Calahan's systems) to bring in a 34 year old who's in search of All-Pro money, as his career winds down.

And if there are multiple bidders for Mathis, do you think the Skins could convince him to sign a frugal, short-term contract? I suspect Mathis sees this as his last "big-money" contract -- and probably would want more than a 2-year deal, or one loaded with lots of guaranteed money.

If we hadn't already signed Lauvao's to a multi-year contract, it would have been a no-brainer to try to bring in Mathis on a short 'prove-it'/revenge contract -- as that would give Calahan time to locate and develop a successor among the younger players. But right now, there's almost a glut of candidates at the guard position.

Mathis is too light for our OL imo, aren't our young guys he would be pushing back as big now or bigger already and likely to put on a few pounds over the next couple of years too?

I think Denver would be a good place for him, rarified air to slow down big DL not used to the altitude and a contender now while Mathis is still decent.

Of course he could be all about a few million more regardless of chances of success, time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

Supplemental draft is tomorrow.  Isaiah Battle from Clemson is available (was the Tigers starting Left OT).  Should we?

I was wondering the exact same thing DH. Can't see any speculation on this on here but NFL.com have him going to Tampa for a fourth. Allegedly twenty-five teams at his pro-day though so hopefully we were one of them.

I was wondering the exact same thing DH. Can't see any speculation on this on here but NFL.com have him going to Tampa for a fourth. Allegedly twenty-five teams at his pro-day though so hopefully we were one of them.

Saw that.

Here is the article from nfl:  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000499952/article/2015-nfl-supplemental-mock-draft

Personally, I think he's worth a 4th round pick.  Should Tampa pass, he can provide nice depth to the Redskins O-Line.

If Murphy ends up a backup/rotational player behind Preston Smith, and neither Long nor Moses starts on what has been a poor OL, Scott McC has to hold Campbell and the rest of the leftover FO accountable. Last year's draft may be approaching Vinny Bugeyes 2008 draft in sheer futility. Even the best GMs have bad draft years, but these guys don't have any successes to justify their continued employment.

Bruce Allen was the GM for the 2014 draft, possibly hired a bad coach in Gruden, not to mention other things. Is he untouchable cause he's pals with Snyder?  He seems to be a made man over at Redskin Park.

• 4 weeks later...

Found this from Hap in Bubba's Breaking News.

This is the 1st I've seen of this line-up, but the article says it's the most common.

Interesting that Long is playing LG, I thought he was playing right.  Kouandjio will hopefully beat out Lauvao for the RG sooner than later.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/08/03/nothing-etched-in-stone-along-the-redskins-offensive-line/

“We are looking at everything right now,” he said. “We are trying to balance out the board, trying to get as much exposure as we can, build our depth, and just have those contingencies in place when you need them.

The most common first-team alignment has been, from left to right, Trent Williams, Long, Kory Lichtensteiger, Shawn Lauvao and Scherff, but Callahan said “there is nothing etched in stone.”

“We are still sorting things out,” he said. “We are right in the midst of evaluations, trying to get all of the players … in different spots so we can keep the evaluation going.”

LT: Trent

LG: Kouandijo

C: Long

Right Side: Sherff / Moses

My dream line-up, if Long could play C, I would do this:

LT- Williams

LG -Scherff (I'd rather he was a T, but...)

C - Long (could he win the job?  Licht is a smart player)

RG - Kouandjio - (best spot due to his power)

RT - Moses (gotta beat the rookie, but if he does...)

That would give us great size, and I feel it puts each guy at his best position.  Obviously it puts our youth all out there together, so it would happen over time rather than week 1.  

Lichtensteiger may not get beat out this year at all, and LeRibeus could be the C if Long can't do it.

I just can't wait to see how it plays out on the field, it's just a fantasy until we see them play.  Lauvao could end up our best O'lineman this season, and go to the pro-bowl for all I know.

The biggest thing we have going for us is that Callahan doesn't owe anybody anything- he's coaching them directly, assessing their play and learning and will be the architect of the line. He can field whatever group in whatever positions he sees fit. You just have to trust him to do that, and so far it seems that hope is trending up.

Archived