Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Discussions on a heavily criticized OL

DaneSkin

If the Redskins can't trade down, would many be upset if they drafted Scherff at #5? I wouldn't be. If he doesn't succeed as a RT, I am convinced he would be a dominant G. I believe he will be a great player.

This offensive line has to be addressed in this draft if at all possible!

I don't think I'll be upset with anybody we pick there. Scherff is a stud. I'd much rather deal down and get him but if he takes him at 5 I won't be mad. I still think Cooper ends up being the pick.

I don't think I'll be upset with anybody we pick there. Scherff is a stud. I'd much rather deal down and get him but if he takes him at 5 I won't be mad. I still think Cooper ends up being the pick.

I'd really prefer we not get a skill player. Give me Williams, Shelton, or even Scherff. We've spent so much on skill with little bang for the buck. I know its short term thinking, but Jackson, Garcon, Roberts, Grant, Morris, and Reed are way more than enough talent to win. We need the wall or the wall breakers.

However, like you, I'll be okay with BPA even if I have to hold my nose a little.

If the Redskins can't trade down, would many be upset if they drafted Scherff at #5?  I wouldn't be.  If he doesn't succeed as a RT, I am convinced he would be a dominant G.  I believe he will be a great player. 

This offensive line has to be addressed in this draft if at all possible!

I think you decide who you like best between Scherff, Flowers and Peat, and you take them at #5.  Of course, if someone is willing to make a RG3 type deal to get Mariotta at #5, maybe that's a game changer.  But otherwise, don't get cute.  Going into 2016 without a young stud OT will make negotiation with Trent impossible.

I get the trade down with Scherff and not taking him at #5. But we also have to take into account that other teams will be high on cherff as well. Trading down to 7/8 and you might still get him. Trading down past 10 and he'll be gone, mostly.

Trading down is always nice at first, and I would welcome it, but let's not overthink ourselves and get out of #5 to any picks and see that those we targeted are off the board when we pick again.

I get the trade down with Scherff and not taking him at #5. But we also have to take into account that other teams will be high on cherff as well. Trading down to 7/8 and you might still get him. Trading down past 10 and he'll be gone, mostly.

Trading down is always nice at first, and I would welcome it, but let's not overthink ourselves and get out of #5 to any picks and see that those we targeted are off the board when we pick again.

Personally, I'm not married to the 'trade down and get Scherff' idea, but I think trading down and taking one of the top ranked olinemen makes a large degree of sense - more picks, address (arguably) the weakest spot on our team, and get good value.

I would not be upset with Cooper at all, because I see him as one of the few can't-miss prospects.

I'd really prefer we not get a skill player. Give me Williams, Shelton, or even Scherff. We've spent so much on skill with little bang for the buck. I know its short term thinking, but Jackson, Garcon, Roberts, Grant, Morris, and Reed are way more than enough talent to win. We need the wall or the wall breakers.

However, like you, I'll be okay with BPA even if I have to hold my nose a little.

Can't argue with you at all, although I'm not as confident that Shelton is a can't-miss prospect.  

I think you decide who you like best between Scherff, Flowers and Peat, and you take them at #5.  Of course, if someone is willing to make a RG3 type deal to get Mariotta at #5, maybe that's a game changer.  But otherwise, don't get cute.  Going into 2016 without a young stud OT will make negotiation with Trent impossible.

I am not impressed with Flowers.  Peat would be OK but I like Scherff better.  I can handle a trade down but not past #10.  The Redskins need a stud whatever the position.  A stud OT or G works for me which is why I like Scherff more than Peat. 

IMO, whether the Redskins draft an OT or not Trent will get his. 

Because I'm not going to be upset if we miss out on Scherff. I'd really like to see what Moses is capable of with Callahan developing him, Long too.

IMO trading back a few spots and grabbing Scherff would be the ideal scenario...The guy plays aggressive, mean and powerful...I think he could be an amazing guard to help beef up the inside of that line, then see what Moses has at RT. 

Really excited to see what Callahan can do with that line too...great coaching pickup by the skins

My point on the OL is not a "need" pick.  It's along the lines of if there's an OT who can zone, power, and pass block, and you need that, then you have to consider taking him in round 1 because those types (can-do-it-alls) don't generally last.  You can find guys who are very good in 1 or 2 categories all over the draft, but all 3 don't usually make it out of round 1 (if there are any that year).  As for the Hogs, the early incarnation was not very good at pass protecting.  T-mann went down a lot more than you think.  It was not the Hogs of 1987 let alone 1991 when it allowed a ridic 9 sacks.

hello ...been a member for a while ... first post ... i used to run with the gang at cbs before they shut down the boards there .. shout out to any old friends who used to post there.

to trade down and get scherff, and additional picks would be a dream scenerio IMO ... we will see about that.  I can see also if we wanted to stay and grab one of the pass rushers, seems as if there is lots of talent this year at that position.

Jay has given his public support to Chester for right guard this year already ... can't really see that, usless it is a case of "hey .. we've got so much to address, can't address it all, so this is just one of the things we are still going to have to live with"

Moses has been absolutely awful .. i know hes young and coaching him up was the deal when he came in ... but have to wonder if its this bad now, can it ever get good?

My point on the OL is not a "need" pick.  It's along the lines of if there's an OT who can zone, power, and pass block, and you need that, then you have to consider taking him in round 1 because those types (can-do-it-alls) don't generally last.  You can find guys who are very good in 1 or 2 categories all over the draft, but all 3 don't usually make it out of round 1 (if there are any that year).  As for the Hogs, the early incarnation was not very good at pass protecting.  T-mann went down a lot more than you think.  It was not the Hogs of 1987 let alone 1991 when it allowed a ridic 9 sacks.

I really do think the line is a big area of need (unless two of Moses, Long, and Stabby work out). I don't know that we have a good guard on the roster and we are weak at tackle as well. We're one injury away from fielding an all JV team.

agree burgold .... i also should have mentioned that depth is a problem as well ... dont know if that is something can be totally fixed in one year or not ... but i believe its a result of many years of ... for the most part ... ignoring the o-line needs.

based on who the Redskins have signed and how they have drafted the Redskins barely have any "need" positions.  They could theoretically have a young talented player take a spot in most of the lineup. 

I think that may be a bit more based on future hope than past performance.  We have two unproven safeties at best, one solid corner and one unknown, 1 ILB position that was poor last year, 3 OLine spots that were bad last year, and an unknown at QB.  Sure if they all play well we have no needs, but past experience has said otherwise.  Now Im optimistic about some of those guys, but I think its a tad crazy to say we barely have any need positions right now.

I think OL is a position we need to figure out, & it sounds like the staff is hopeful that they have a working expectation of performance. I also feel confident that SM will not feel any pressure from any outside influence in any way to pursue a need above his BPA board. None whatsoever.

I personally feel that, if we do have an OL as BPA on our board at 5, it is most likely to be Collins, & likely to be as an OG. I just don't see it though.

SM may be able to trade back, & if so...i also feel, again, that there will be no pressure to take a guy before his BPA board dictates he should, simply because that player might be gone. If he takes Scherff at 5, 10, or 15, it is because he is his BPA.period.

About the only time player reach vs availability becomes a consideration is the reverse of what some of you are suggesting. Basically, if there are 5 OL at the top of his board at 5 (hypothetical here) & he feels he could all but throw a dart at a board to decide between them, not being particularly in love with one over the other...then it is most likely he can get 1 of those 5 8-12 spots later while acquiring more picks. Even if it isn't a deal that blows your socks off. Because, you are more than likely still going to get a guy that you have rated above the rest of your board & any time you can do so, & still add early picks is a super bonus. & yes...you still pull that trigger if the guy you have at #1 has a sizeable, yet not overwhelmingly significant difference in grade from #2.

So...if Scherff is truly his BPA, i can't see him being THAT much better than Collins or Peat. Heck, i have Erving graded higher, but that's another story. So if that's the case, then i don't think SM would flinch at falling back as much as 15 spots if he got a decent offer & taking his chances with whomever is available there. Even a double creep is possible under this scenario because i just don't see a big enough gap, regardless of who your favorite of the 4 is, to justify not taking even a pedestrian deal 2 times in the 1st & acquiring several more early round picks.

Which is why...if we don't get a trade partner for the 5 spot, i can't really even pretend ro fathom how Scherf will be the pick. There are too many other prospects (meaning 2-3) who are more can't miss, head of the class material, to justify missing out on, in order to reach 5 spots, & overpay for what amounts to a one-trick pony.

All of that said...if SM has him as his BPA at 5, & selects him without a trade back...then i will support the decision. The only 2 choices that would have me a bit perplexed:

1) LW falls to us, & we pass without a trade back.

2) no trade back, & we draft Scherff straight ip with some other really good players on the board.

Still...he won't take Scherff because we already have a decent WR corps, & we need an OL. It won't happen that way. If he takes Scherff, it's becaise he just happens to rate him higher than anyone else available. That is how this man operates from rounds 1-4.

I'm not sure why scherff gets so much love. He's got the physicality to be something, but that guy is not even close to a surefire stud. He is a liability in space and has a tendency to play really sloppy football. He would be abused at tackle.

When I watch his highlights I get a fuzzy feeling that he could be great, but when you actually break down entire games you notice mistake after mistake. Missed assignments, missed blocks, narrow base, poor kickstep forcing him to open his hips early, etc. He's got way too many holes to be a top 10 pick.

Collins has his fair share of problems too, but if we're reaching on an Oline at 5 I'd take him over scherff easily.

I'm not sure why scherff gets so much love. He's got the physicality to be something, but that guy is not even close to a surefire stud. He is a liability in space and has a tendency to play really sloppy football. He would be abused at tackle.

When I watch his highlights I get a fuzzy feeling that he could be great, but when you actually break down entire games you notice mistake after mistake. Missed assignments, missed blocks, narrow base, poor kickstep forcing him to open his hips early, etc. He's got way too many holes to be a top 10 pick.

I agree...The only way I would support the move is if he went straight to Guard. I just feel he could be a dominant guard in the years to come with good coaching that hopefully Callahan will provide. Again I don't think he is worth the 5th pick, but trading back a few spots and snagging him would be great IMO

I wonder if Chester is truly in our plans as a starter. Or if there is an open competition upcoming, do we think Long is going to seize the job presumed now fully healthy.... or are we going to target a guard.

I think GMSM will draft a player he projects to guard, at minimum. 

I thought we would have a lot of turnover on the OL this year, but now I am not so sure. Like many, I thought CC would be gone by now. 

I really hope Callahan can salvage some of the OL and save those picks for other positions, but that of course takes a camp at minimum to happen. 

I wonder if Chester is truly in our plans as a starter. Or if there is an open competition upcoming, do we think Long is going to seize the job presumed now fully healthy.... or are we going to target a guard.

I think GMSM will draft a player he projects to guard.

I thought we would have a lot of turnover on the OL this year, but now I am not so sure. Like many, I thought CC would be gone by now.

I really hope Callahan can salvage some of the OL and save those picks for other positions, but that of course takes a camp at minimum to happen.

I could see Long, still developing, having a slightly harder time adjusting to Callahan's teaching than a vet like Chester. Or not. Point being, I could see Chester winning a competition (at least for a while)... unless we spend an early pick on G.

As long as we can get an immediate defensive starter and an immediate OL starter from this draft, I'll consider it a success. Because that means the rest will be cheap, young depth

I'd love to trade back a little and grab Scherff or Collins...who cares if they end up at guard. if our starting RT is Compton then we are gonna need a friggin knuckle draggin, drooling unibrowed mother-yo-know-what next to him if we want any QB to survive. Or Almo to be able to pick up any yards.

Then pick up an ILB, OLB or Db in the second.

Archived