Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Discussions on a heavily criticized OL

DaneSkin

The first thing we learn from history is that everybody fails to learn from history.... :)

One thing i would like to add - Why is it those who want to pigeon hole Scherff as a bust because he might be playing at G in week 1 fail to account for what might transpire in the future . He could develop and end up playing LT... who knows... 

,,, also I have a questions for those who want to harp on about us passing on Williams for Scherff- who honestly thinks that given the top 5 in the defensive rotation Francios, Baker, Knighton, Paea and Hatcher he would have been a day 1 starter (As Sherff appears likely to be) ?

I think there's a lot of truth to that. McCloughan hit the DL so hard in free agency and even though several weren't huge investments I think it put the 'skins in a weird place when Williams dropped. It might have been a miscalculation on our Front Office's part (as in no one thought he would drop to us) but after picking up Ricky Jean, Paea, and Knighton, plus resigning Baker and adding Hatcher last year... DL was awful full.

Scherff was obviously very high on their board and a guy who epitomizes most of the qualities McCloughan has been preaching, so I don't think they're kicking themselves for the pick. Still, I think they free agented themselves out of drafting a d lineman early.

I'm one of those Lich. Dislikers and i admit that he plays better than i was giving him credit for. But he is TOO SMALL, starting the season at maybe 295 and ending it at 285 or less isn't gonna cut it in this league. I am so tired of seeing Lich. And Chester get blown the heck up and pushed into the back field. Hope one of the other younger "Bigger" centers win the starting job. The qb and oline fed each others weakness and i am so glad we are going back to smash mouth football again. Our oline couldnt control the line and were very weak against dt that were 330 or more. Robert didnt trust the line and after getting smacked in the mouth a couple of times he would stop looking down field and started watching the rush. A condition i have seen more than 1 qb have of qbs have when they are getting hit alot. Robert is clearly not were he needs to be in maturation as a qb, and he has clealy made some mistakes in his off sean and game.time.prep. but the front office and coaching staffs are clearly not blameless in his struggles either. A stronger oline and running game will help Robert out alot. And i dont mean a running game that gets stuffed 7 or 8 times out of 10 and gets big runs the other 2 or 3 times.We need the Riggo drill again, ball control that gutts the others teams defence to the point that you take their heart right out of their chest.

Then Robert can learn that he is not superman and that he isnt being asked to be,but to be a qb that take whats givem by the defence and.not lose the game with turn overs. And then the team and their qb can learn to win together. HTTR

IIRC Bostic was only 265 and then ballooned up to 300. In his prime he was a mauler with a big weight advantage like his fellow hogs over the tiny DL. I don't think he is a comparable for Kory who is getting by on being technically sound. Bostic may have been heady and making the calls but make no mistake, our entire line was bulldozing. 

We could run sneaks with Bostic. The once a year we try to run a sneak its embarrassing and obvious we won't try again for another year. That is simple measuring stick for what i want out of a center. 

Kory seemed an improvement over Will including WRT blitz pickup calls but far too often there was no pocket and clearly little confidence for any of our QBs with him a fixture right in front of them for the entire year. We finally have a new OLC and expect competition at C which can only make Kory better. Its Kory's job to lose and in Callaghan we trust. 

First Depth Chart

Trent | Lauvao | Kory | Scherff | Moses 

IIRC Bostic was only 265 and then ballooned up to 300. In his prime he was a mauler with a big weight advantage like his fellow hogs over the tiny DL. I don't think he is a comparable for Kory who is getting by on being technically sound. Bostic may have been heady and making the calls but make no mistake, our entire line was bulldozing. 

Nah. Bostic was undersized for a centre even back in the 80's. Gibbs tried moving Grimm to centre to try to take care of the issues we were having blocking NTs and zero tech DTs like the Giants Jim Burt (we did a lot of things in the 80's becuase of the Giants defense - two TEs to try help block LT for example). He moved Grimm to centre one year and McKenzie to LG - then when Grimm got hurt he put Bostic back in and moved Grimm back to guard when he was healthy.

Bostic was 250 on a good day - and probably less as the season wore on.

^^Yeah, the "Legend" of the Hogs is that they were all 300lb+ guys. But the truth was that Jacoby was the only 300 pounder.  And he was just over 300 pounds.  Most of them tipped the 275-290 range with the exception (as you said) with Bostic. But people have to remember that a typical DT/NT was about 270-280 and DEs were 250 back then.  We as a line averaged about 20-25 pounds more per man, which made us so much more powerful.  Also, the counter trey was a pretty new concept to get the defense going one way and running to the other. Defenses were a little more basic back then and Gibbs use of motion, shifting and misdirection bafffled defensive coordinators. It took them a while to learn to shut it down. So, not only did we have a size advantage, but they didn't know where we were going.

There is some teeth mashing that Scherff at Guard means that the the 'Skins wasted the #5 overall pick, because Guard isn't as big a need as tackle.

They've had their chance.  Allow me to retort.

That is the biggest bunch of stupid I've heard from a cast of misfits who are trying to force a story where there isn't one.  I've never quite understood why Guards and Centers weren't considered as important as the tackles.  They are closer to the QB, responsible for moving the largest members of the defense, and if they don't do their jobs, you give up the most important part of the field: The middle.

Screw it.  If Scherff is an all pro guard, and Moses turns into a good RT, you've upgraded the line by miles. And you're providing toughness right up the middle.  

That should allow the QBs not to have a DT in their face in .4 seconds.  This would be an improvement.  

I think that if Moses is truly playing well enough to be considered a starting RT, that is the biggest story of the entire off-season.  That allows Scherff to play Guard, and you've upgraded your two biggest weaknesses on the OL from last year with 2 draft picks.  That's huge.  That's what teams like the Ravens, Seahawks, and Patriots do.  That is very un-Redskin.  

The last piece of the puzzle is for somebody, either Long or Kouandijo to grab the RG spot.  And then to quote Lord Darth Vader,"The circle is now complete."[/size]

Btw, this franchise built a hell of a record in the 80's with Grimm, Bostic and May in the middle of the line.  I'd take that again in a heartbeat.  [/size]

I agree and I would like to point out that 2 G's and a C is important in order for a QB to actually have a pocket to step up into. Too often last year Lich, Chester, Lauvao got pushed back. You need those 3 spots hold there ground and prevent bull rushing. I want the best 5 up front I don't care who plays where.

My issue isn't with Scherf at G, it's Scherf at RG.

Why not LG, is he not as good as Lauvao?

I am confused by this as well.  Lauvao was a RG for the Browns so not like it would be out of his element.  Moving him to RG would place the Vet next to Moses and sandwich Schereff between 2 vets including a pro-bowler.  It also keeps him the the left side that he played in Iowa.

I am confused by this as well.  Lauvao was a RG for the Browns so not like it would be out of his element.  Moving him to RG would place the Vet next to Moses and sandwich Schereff between 2 vets including a pro-bowler.  It also keeps him the the left side that he played in Iowa.

I thought about that too and for the life of me how have no clue. I even thing Lauvao played RG in Cleveland although I can't swear to that. Maybe just trying to spread the power out to both sides maybe for

running game purposes?

I am confused by this as well. Lauvao was a RG for the Browns so not like it would be out of his element. Moving him to RG would place the Vet next to Moses and sandwich Schereff between 2 vets including a pro-bowler. It also keeps him the the left side that he played in Iowa.

I don't get it either. He did improve as the season went on.

The guard from Alabama may have an inside track on the left guard position. Maybe not to start the season but I can see him supplanting Lauvao. 

Playing next to Trent will benefit him a lot.

Playing OL on a team like Alabama has to prepare a rookie to play OL at an NFL level.

I just wasn't sure how he was looking in camp so far and what the coaches were saying about him.

Stabby might have a tough time making the team, but having a bad play against Wilfork isn't a death sentence. Vince has been a top line nose tackle for a long time.

he Damn near single handedly just won a SB. Wilfork is the best Nose in football and has been for a while. He's gonna blow a young guy up. Ain't no shame in that.

I think putting Scherff at G allows the Redskins to get their best 5 lineman on the field.  To me it means that Moses is better at T than Long is at G.  

I think it's that they've seen enough of Moses that they feel comfortable with moving Scherff to his obvious NFL position.  Now, they've got to pray that Moses stays healthy.  If he does, it's a great situation, because Moses and Scherff could anchor the right side of the Skins line for a decade.  And we've got a bunch of young bruisers at the other guard.  

People are going to whine about - How could you draft a guard at 5 in the whole draft?  They could because doing that is part of giving the team its personality as a mauling team that's going to out-physical its opponents.  His presence near Moses is going to make Moses a better player.  Moses will eat up space that you can't get around - with his huge frame and long arms - while Scherff physically punishes you.

Archived