Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Mardsen was canned because he took a role as a tertiary character in one of the superman movies years back while Xmen was about to film. I believe the director took offense that he was doing both DC and Marvel stuff.

You mean the Superman movie directed by Bryan Singer? Because I can think of more than a couple reasons that wouldn't make sense, then again the guy making that decision during X3 would have Brent Ratner, which actually makes total sense.

Mardsen was canned because he took a role as a tertiary character in one of the superman movies years back while Xmen was about to film. I believe the director took offense that he was doing both DC and Marvel stuff. Instead of working things out, they deleted him from the entire series. Its a pretty fascinating story if you look it up. Im not sure i got all the details right, but i know he was fired because of his role as a regular guy in superman.

I think it was more scheduling than he got canned. He had to choose. Because Bryan Singer was his boy and had a bigger role in the Superman movie, so he chose that over the XMEN movie. Hence why he abruptly disappears in it. He was there long enough to do his 2 scenes and he split. And Brett Ratner didn't come on X3 until late in the process. Edited by justice98

Which is why Hugh Jackman instead of Ellen Paige had the most screen time in the last movie.

Actually, I think this was two fold.

Hugh Jackman's "starpower" as a part of it; but WOLVERINES starpower was as much, if not likely more, of a factor. To casual fans, Wolverine is a much bigger draw than Kitty Pride. And a much more enticing person to follow throughout the movie as kind of the primary "vehicle" for what's happening in the past.

Not saying it wouldn't have still been Hugh if he was playing Morph or Beast or something, but I think you're overselling how much of it really was Jackman's starpower and how much it's the fact that the wolverine character has been pretty much the star character for the x-men franchise on film.

Which frankly, isn't too far off from the comics. And I think that's what irks me a bit. If Lawrence was Jean or Rogue (which I recognize, would not have actually worked in the continuity of the "Decades" [60s FC -70s DOFP -80s AOP] universe), her being so much in the lead wouldn't feel so forced quite as much. But as it is, she's a character that is routinely trying to be thrust into a heroic role that just doesn't fit well with the expectations for that hero given its history.

Wolverine is THE star for Marvel, period.
they have a lot of great characters, but no one drives sales like Wolverine. He could appear in an Archie comic and it would be their biggest selling issue.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

So true Bang! Still pissed off with the way they killed him off in the books. But as in all comics, great characters usually come back to life somehow.

They killed off Wolverine? I thought that was all but impossible given his ability to fully regenerate if there's still one viable atom. He's like the Brainiac of the Marvel set.

• Like 1

They killed off Wolverine? I thought that was all but impossible given his ability to fully regenerate if there's still one viable atom. He's like the Brainiac of the Marvel set.

Yeah, they killed him off in late 2014 in a 4-book series.  He lost his healing factor and it was open season on him. He went back to the Weapon X facility (i think) and eventually had his entire body covered in adamantium to kill him off.  He is still around in other books (Old Man Logan) and some new X-men title as OML. 

http://marvel.com/comics/series/19073/death_of_wolverine_2014

post-123658-0-76793900-1458932818_thumb.

post-123658-0-74277200-1458932834_thumb.

post-123658-0-20330500-1458932846_thumb.

post-123658-0-32367000-1458932854_thumb.

post-123658-0-20126800-1458932865_thumb.

Not saying it wouldn't have still been Hugh if he was playing Morph or Beast or something, but I think you're overselling how much of it really was Jackman's starpower and how much it's the fact that the wolverine character has been pretty much the star character for the x-men franchise on film.

Which frankly, isn't too far off from the comics. And I think that's what irks me a bit. If Lawrence was Jean or Rogue (which I recognize, would not have actually worked in the continuity of the "Decades" [60s FC -70s DOFP -80s AOP] universe), her being so much in the lead wouldn't feel so forced quite as much. But as it is, she's a character that is routinely trying to be thrust into a heroic role that just doesn't fit well with the expectations for that hero given its history.

No, I disagree because we have to look at the history of wolverine's character in not just film but tv as well. Wolverine was the outspoken, rebel of the Xmen before Fox made the Xmen cartoon. Of course he became more popular there. But it wasn't until Fox made the movies before Wolverine's overexposure began. The cartoon actually had storylines for other members of the team that were somewhat fleshed out. The movies made it all about Wolverine, as if the X-Men couldn't get anything accomplished until he came around.

Prior to this in the comics, Logan was sometimes more trouble than he was worth. It wasn't until after the first movie trilogy, and the rise of his popularity, that marvel comics began changing his character to profit off his popularity as well. That is when Logan stops being the sloppy drunk who screws up and needs Nightcrawler to keep him in check. That is when Logan becomes an Avenger, and is on damn near every single Marvel superhero team all at once. As if marvel just said "**** continuity, no one is going to wonder how Wolverine can be Xavier running the school, an avenger, and be Cable running X-Force, all at the same time. nah he sells books so who cares if it makes sense. And they got this mentality from Fox's movies. They did well at the box office, no matter how bad they were and how much of the story got screwed and took them a decade to figure out how to get out of.

It was the movies that changed how his character was depicted. Not the other way around. But even with him being everywhere at once. The x-Men still had great storylines that had nothing to do with him. The Days of Future Past storyline was created in a time when he was still that guy who never agrees to anything, won't listen to authority, and does his own thing in a fight. There is a reason why Chris Claremont's story is considered one of the best written in comics, and it had nothing to do with Wolverine or his actor.

Ellen Paige is a really good actress. That movie would've been just fine allowing her to actually do some acting and keeping Wolverine's role relegated to the future. Which was still a great part of the story, especially the iconic image of his inevitable death right before the X-Men changed the timeline. They could've still given the audience their precious Wolverine while at the same time not making the X-Men basically worthless without Wolverine....again.

• Like 1

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/exclusive-are-these-josh-boones-first-three-new-mutants

EXCLUSIVE: Are These Josh Boone's First Three 'New Mutants'?
Another 'Game Of Thrones' star is on her way into Fox's mutant universe

Game Of Thrones is going to be one of those pop culture moments that ends up overstuffed with movie stars when we look back at it, and I suspect one of those movie stars is going to be Maisie Williams. She has a compelling combination of maturity and youth, and everyone I’ve talked to about how she is on set seems to be convinced that she’s in this for the long haul.

With her on-screen sister Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner) already joining the X-Men family in this summer’s X-Men: Apocalypse, it makes perfect sense that the X-Men producers would be looking at the show closely. Now comes word that The Fault In Our Stars director Josh Boone, currently co-writing the film with Knate Gwaltney, has set his first three cast members for The New Mutants, which is my personal pick for the “It’s about time!” award when it comes to which of these spin-off properties they decided to develop.

And sure enough, Maisie Williams is attached now as Wolfsbane, better known as Rahne Sinclair.

When I was a New Mutants fan during the initial run of the title back in the ‘80s, Rahne was always one of the most emotional parts of the puzzle. She’s a shape-shifter, a wee Scottish werewolf, and her immersion into the world of Xavier’s school was part of what hooked me on the series originally.

It appears that Anya Taylor-Joy, who made such an impression on audiences in The Witch, also made an impression on producers Simon Kinberg and Lauren Shuler-Donner, as she’ll be stepping up to play Illya Rasputin, aka Magik. That’s a great role, and it makes me laugh that you can almost read The Witch as a prequel at that point.

It looks like they’ll also be casting Cannonball, Sunspot, and Mirage, so they really are going for the most traditional version of the team, the first line-up, and that makes me extremely happy. You can expect James McAvoy to play a significant role in the film, which makes sense, and Alexandra Shipp, who plays Storm in this summer’s X-Men: Apocalypse, will make the jump to this team as well.

It’s exciting to see them finally bringing these characters into the world of X-Men, and it makes perfect sense in terms of timing. With Hugh Jackman already announcing that he’s finished playing Wolverine after the release of the upcoming third Wolverine movie, it’s clear that an era has ended, or is ending, and it’s time to start expanding the roster and growing some new movie stars for the series. Williams and Taylor-Joy are both exciting young actors who have been doing strong and interesting work already, and this should launch them into a whole different level of public awareness.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

The Strange preview looks so hot. Also excited to hear that two key members of the Netflix DD team are going to be heading up production of The Defenders. Too bad it can't more closely approximate the Defenders comics themselves, but these shows are so good I won't be picky.

• Like 1