Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

he's done it before..

In fact, he did Cap.. which one of you True Believers can tell me when the first time was.. and what happened?

~Excelsior!

I think he impersonated Spider-Man, but I can't remember when that was. He's an old villain, so I assume some time in the '60's-'70's.

I think he impersonated Spider-Man, but I can't remember when that was. He's an old villain, so I assume some time in the '60's-'70's.

well, yes, his first appearance  was against Spider-man..  but the first time he impersonated Cap.. he convinced Iron Man that the real Cap at Avengers Mansion was the Chameleon in disguise, so Iron Man flies over to the mansion (that he owns) and immediately smashed in through the wall (that he will have to pay to fix) and jumped Cap,..   so they had a big brawl and continued to wreck the house until Giant Man came along and saved the day.

Now, why Iron Man couldn't have just walked in through the front door, i have no idea. 

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1

Is Daredevil that good?

Better than Ben Affleck?

Seriously though, is it really worth watching?

Better than Affleck? You're joking, right?

Added - just watch it. By the end of episode two, you should be hooked. And then there is D'Onofrio, who takes it to a whole new level...the best comic villain depicted on film (better than any Joker portrayal, imo).

Edited by Metalhead

http://marvel.com/news/tv/25904/finn_jones_to_star_in_the_netflix_original_series_marvels_iron_fist

Marvel and Netflix are pleased to announce that Finn Jones (“Game of Thrones”) will star in “Marvel’s Iron Fist,” the newest series coming soon only to Netflix.

Jones will play Daniel Rand, who returns to New York City after being missing for years. He fights against the criminal element corrupting New York City with his incredible kung-fu mastery and ability to summon the awesome power of the fiery Iron Fist.

Better than Affleck? You're joking, right?

Added - just watch it. By the end of episode two, you should be hooked. And then there is D'Onofrio, who takes it to a whole new level...the best comic villain depicted on film (better than any Joker portrayal, imo).

He was good, but I still like the most recent big screen Joker.  The boss was also awesome, and the two characters made Daredevil as much as finally having a script and plot for Daredevil himself.  As a side note, I have been watching Gotham, and I think the guy who plays Penguin does an incredible job.  I always thought of him as the weakest, weeniest of Gotham's villains, but his portrayal of him rocks enough to make me watch the series.

I've been trying to pinpoint why I'm not all that excited about X-Men: Apocalypse, and I know it's not my usual wish that Marvel Studios was handling the property. It's because Fox pushes star actors and actresses, to the detriment of the storyline. The only reason Hugh Jackman isn't the leading man in this trailer is because he really doesn't want to play Wolverine anymore. So they find the other star on the roster and give Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique too big a role. The difference between Fox and Marvel Studios, is Marvel rarely let's the popularity of an actor or actress compromise the character they play. It's more authentic, and I think even the casual audience who don't read comics can see how those characters are written well and fit into the storyline. Fox alters the story to give more screen-time to the most popular. Which is why Hugh Jackman instead of Ellen Paige had the most screen time in the last movie. It worked, but I feel like the movie could've made more sense if they would've just stuck to the original material. 

I cringe watching Lawrence deliver morale boosting lines like she is leading them against the villain. Her character has never been more than an unlikely outcast member or outright adversary to their group. I'll still go see it, but I think it's going to bomb. 

Edited by Gamebreaker

I disagree on it bombing(that horsemen crew is off the chain). I do agree with it being nonsense having Mystique leading the charge in this film.  Some of these iconic characters have been around since before JLaw was even born (25), so it is truly unnecessary.  This isn't so huge of a risk they have to pimp her out in hopes of selling tickets.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Wasn't Mystique a leader on the X-Men in the comics for a brief stint?

But still, I too see JLaw in the lead role as unnecessary given the franchise's popularity. I don't think her role as Mystique in any of the movies has been a big reason why people saw it.

I guess they are just playing on the team being young and her being seasoned, and even though she did sort of mentor some in First Class and then somewhat again in rescuing mutants during Future Past, it still does feel forced to have her as the leader. It would be much better to have Cyclops be given the chance to step up and become the leader. 

Mystique has joined the X-Men in brief stints a couple of times. Each time she has, she was met with resistance and distrust by the team she was placed on. She's never been a team leader, no one would've trusted her with that responsibility and none of them would've followed her either. Every time she has ended up betraying them. First time she joined under the pretense she'd had a psychotic break, and Forge was supposedly rehabilitating her. He eventually caught her going through his inventions and realized she was playing him. The second time she joined Rogue's team, and again betrayed them by helping the Marauders and Mr. Sinster steal the mutant messiah. 

The weirdest thing about her being depicted as their leader is how terrible a person Raven is. She is the mother to one of the X-Men, and she basically threw him away as soon as he was born. She has put quite a few X-Men through some really ****ed up situations. I wouldn't have minded if Fassbender's Magneto was leading the team. He's lead the X-Men before, and was even entrusted with the school by Xavier once. But Fassbender's star isn't shining as bright as Lawrence's, so here we are. 

And you're right Renegade, maybe saying it would bomb was wrong. I don't think any X-Men movies bomb in the box office. Even that horrible Wolverine:Origins did decent. I just think it will not be well-received by movie and comic critics alike. 

Edited by Gamebreaker
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm not a fan of the X-Men movies. I love the X-Men. The mediocrity of the movies is frustrating.

Mediocre writing has definitely been an issue. Lousy casting is another. They do just go for marketable names, no care given to finding the right actor for a character. For example I like JLaw, but she obviously should have played a rebooted Rogue, not Mystique.

• Like 1

I think the XMen movies have suffered from focusing too much on the mutant aspects and too little on the human.  A well told story needs an interesting villain and characters the audience can care about.  Most of the Xmen movies squandered a good amount of acting talent on what is ultimately just another special effect spectacle. 

Not as bad as the transformers franchise, but closer to that than a well told story. 

It would be much better to have Cyclops be given the chance to step up and become the leader. 

I just thought of this: Cyclops has been either THE leader of the X-Men or leading one of the teams for about 90% of the comic's history. Yet hardly does he do any leading in the movies. 

Casting Scott Marsden as Cyclops was a disaster. Not only was he completely wrong for the part, him not wanting to do the movies any more after the second killed off a key character and removed Cyclops from the movie dealing with the Dark Phoenix Saga, of all things. It was asinine.

The decision to reboot the team and only include Beast from the original roster was terrible. Nicholas Hoult is fine, but they should have cast him as Cyclops and given him a bigger leadership role. Not a weird romance with Mystique. They should have fixed and included Cyclops and Jean Grey in First Class.

The first three movies were so lousy and damaging to the quality of a cinematic X-Men franchise, the reboot should have been a true reboot. It was a chance to right some of the wrongs in casting and writing.

• Like 1

Mardsen was canned because he took a role as a tertiary character in one of the superman movies years back while Xmen was about to film. I believe the director took offense that he was doing both DC and Marvel stuff. Instead of working things out, they deleted him from the entire series. Its a pretty fascinating story if you look it up. Im not sure i got all the details right, but i know he was fired because of his role as a regular guy in superman.

Xmen and Spiderman were my favorite growing up. When the first Xmen came out along with the first 2 Spiderman movies, it felt otherworldly watching it on the big screen. Then Spiderman 3 and X2 happened. Nothing has been the same since. The only thing right about the Xmen is Fassbender, Jackman, and Mcavoy. The story, the love interests, the motivations, the character affiliations, the costume designs, etc are all off. How hard would it have been to make Sabretooth look like Sabretooth, or Apocalypse look like Apocalypse. Heck, the last movie was about Days of Future Past and Bishop was hardly even a secondary character. Everything about it was wrong. I hated it. It was Xmen in name only. ( the last Wolverine was decent though). I mean, Channing Tatum is going to be Gambit. How is that a good casting choice? Im not going to bother talking about Spiderman. Im just happy that Marvel is now in control.