Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Good info Steve.

Just to elaborate on my point, Cap is like Leonardo of the ninja turtles. Leonardo was nobody's favorite turtle because he was just a boring leader. I actually liked Leonardo the best as a kid simply because of his swords but even I admit he was dull as a rock compared to the other 3. Same with Cap. I just don't find him compelling. Maybe a more faithful silver age interpretation of him from the comics like you described would change that a bit.

Team IronMan all the way though I knew nothing of Iron Man until i saw the movie. I don't think I like the character Iron Man or would now like his comics, I just really like how Downey plays it, even though I'm 98% sure it is nothing like IM/Stark from the comics.

Good info Steve.

Just to elaborate on my point, Cap is like Leonardo of the ninja turtles. Leonardo was nobody's favorite turtle because he was just a boring leader. I actually liked Leonardo the best as a kid simply because of his swords but even I admit he was dull as a rock compared to the other 3. Same with Cap. I just don't find him compelling. Maybe a more faithful silver age interpretation of him from the comics like you described would change that a bit.

I liked Leo, he was probably my favorite.  Although I also liked Raph later on, cause he was a bad ass and I think he kicked the crap out of the Shredder in the comics.

As Marvel heroes go, I think I always preferred Spidey because of the humor, but I always had a lot of respect for Cap and thought he was pretty cool.

I think Cap is more interesting when he's with other characters or villains to play off of though.

For instance, I liked the back and forth between him and Hawkeye when they were in the Avengers together in the 60's.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

Also, does anyone know if MCU owns the rights to the Skrulls? That could be another avenue.

I heard the skrulls are a fantastic four property, and since they now have the use of FF they could use them. Secret Invasion would be a good movie.

I've been a Marvel comics nerd since I was like six years old. I collected and traded Marvel cards at my school like kids used to trade baseball cards when I was eight. I think I got my first boner from some panel of Emma Frost. I still read old Silver Age comics from the 60's.

It's crazy seeing the MCU movies and TV shows unfold. I was dreaming of stuff like this being made when I was a kid.

That's awesome, I've been reading Marvel since I was 11. But I focused primarily on the X-books and didn't start reading the other stuff until much, much later.

Good info Steve.

Team IronMan all the way though I knew nothing of Iron Man until i saw the movie. I don't think I like the character Iron Man or would now like his comics, I just really like how Downey plays it, even though I'm 98% sure it is nothing like IM/Stark from the comics.

Eh, truth be told Captain America was kind of an asshole in those early comics. He was very forceful and aggressive. That was how they understood being commanding back then. He was also consumed with guilt and revenge for Bucky's death and it took them a while to expand and develop Cap's character beyond that story line. His character has been portrayed in a lot of different ways over the years, and I like the way MCU has updated him. I think he was the hardest character to "get right" and the writers and Chris Evans have done a magnificient job. Noble yet down to earth and never preachy. Alpha but not egotistical. Sensitive and compassionate but still tough.

It's hard to make "lawful good" characters cool. But Cap is.

I feel like Iron Man was the more relatable one in the old comics. He was generally friendly and loyal to the other members, supportive even. He also had the big alcoholism story line and dangerous heart condition that humanized him. I think what MCU has done with Iron Man's character has been fantastic--it's made him the star of the team. The biggest personality and the one who tends to drive the plot forward. But to do it, I feel like they've cannibalized a lot of Hank Pym Ant Man's character and given the traits to RDJ. That annoys me a little, because Hank Pym was always my favorite original roster Avenger.

But the biggest downside to MCU's Iron Man is that, in making him much more realistic/political/serious, and in giving him a stable and committed relationship to Pepper Potts, they eliminated their ability to use a lot of the best characters from his comics. The discussion about his lack of on screen nemesis got me thinking so I read about Iron Man 2 on wikipedia and they said the reason they didn't do a more canonical portrayal of the Mandarin was because he was too fantastical for the film. Well... there goes any hope for MODOK or Fin Fang Foom showing up as the villain in an Iron Man movie. No Melter or Whirlwind or Unicorn. All are way too silly. And probably no Madam Masque. The Iron Man comics from the 60s were campy as hell. They were fun. But the movies have had to veer far away from that canon.

Isnt Downeys contract as Iron Man over after Civil War? I think they may take things in a different direction afterwards, and reset everything.

Speaking of resetting everything, the film world has **** all over my favorite hero, Spider-Man, post 2002. I didnt like Molina as Dr. Octopus in Spider-Man II, and I deplored III, where they jumbled Sandman, Venom, and Harry Osbourne into one gigantic mess, then cast the nerdy Topher Grace as Venom, when Eddie Brock was more of a toughguy jock. Ultimate sin

Then they reboot everything because "Peter Parker has to be a teenager for christs sake" so they give the reins to that emo hipster looking dude who's name escapes me. Just too much of a gump for me to tolerate. Tried to like the first one, it just wasn't my thing. Then here comes Jaimee Fox in a hoodie as Electro, and I'd had enough. Didn't even bother.

Now here comes ANOTHER ****ing REBOOT! And again, Peter Parker is apparently cast as a teenager. I wonder what former Disney star Jonas brother looking mf'er they've given the role to this time.

Shoot me in the face

Andrew Garfield. He's a solid actor, and I like Emma Stone, but I didn't care for the rebooted Spiderman at all. I didn't even bother to see the second one. Heard it was awful.

The first Spiderman with Toby McGuire holds up. Spiderman 2 was ok. But everything since then has sucked. Sony caught lightning in a bottle with the first Spiderman and was never able to come close to making another one of that quality.

But MCU has the rights to Spiderman now, which should be a film breakthrough for the character. They are so much better at making film and television adaptations of Marvel properties than anyone else. I wish they had X-Men and FF too. God I hope they get FF back soon. What Fox did to FF is an absolute travesty.

Worst part is that FantasticFour already sucked a bag of dicks before this current one basically tried to dress up a long dead corpse

Too bad about X Men. That still of Apocalypse was mortifying. They'll never be able yo live that down.

I thought Days of Future Past was solid, but from watching the show as a kid, I was under the assumption that that storyline had to do with going back in time to rescue Professor X from being assassinated by Bishop (or Cable... Can't remember exactly).

Hugh Jackman is awesome as Wolverine, but im fine with everyone else leaving, honestly. They could never really nail down any ofthe characters outside of properly outside of him anyway

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Spider-Man 2 was fantastic. Easily the best of the series and the best superhero movie until Batman Begins came out. That train fight and then stopping it was Incredible, Spider-Man unmasked, Mary Jane finding out who he was, the Harry side story, it was great. Set up perfectly for the 3rd to be a Spidey vs Harry/Goblin battle but they screwed the pooch on that big time. That movie is awful

Spider-Man 1 is pretty good as well.

I loved Andrew Garfield/Emma Stone in their roles. I think the Amazing Spider-Man is great.

The second one was really good too, although sloppy snd bloated, I really enjoyed it as well. I wish they could have continued it. The reboots did a lot of things right imo. They didn't handle the villains particularly well in TASM2 but it was fine. The reboots had a lot more emotional impact than the first 3.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

I had a subscription to the Xmen,Thor,Ironman, and other comics back in the late 70's and and early 80's and had,(and still have),the original Days of Future Past issues. The story was,(very very condensed here),was basically the future is grim. Most mutants and superheroes in North America are either dead or imprisoned along with humans in camps created by and guarded by the Sentinels,(the big ol,lumbering,nasty kind). They were unleashed after Senator Kelly,(the leader of the Mutant Registration Act in Congress),was assassinated by the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. The storyline is basically centered around Kittie Pryde being sent back from the future,(mentally),to help the present day X-Men stop the Evil Mutants from killing Senator Kelly while the X-Men in the future protect Kitty and die in the process. It works out in the end. My only real problem with the movie version was the Sentinels. 

Thor was always my favorite since I can remember. Glad Stan Lee came up with that character,(needed a character in the Marvel Universe at the time who would be as strong or stronger than the most powerful human. The Hulk). Love what they've done with that character along with most others. Loki,Tom Hiddleston's version,is brilliant. Iron Man was always a favorite,especially in the John Romita Jr.,Dave Michelinie,and Bob Layton days. They created or really developed some great characters and dove into Tony's Alcoholism. 2 favorite issues were when Iron Man and Dr. Doom went back to the days of Camelot and matched up. RDjr. is definitely Tony Stark/Iron Man. As I have stated before,I pretty much have enjoyed most of what's been done out there with these characters so far. Though I did like Toby's version of Spiderman the best so far,(first two movies). Imho,if they wanted to reboot,they could have started from the end of movie 2.  Hell I even liked the first Fantastic Four but after that,yeeeeeeeesh. To me,more important the Doom,would be Galactus. :)  Anyway,looking forward to Civil War. :)

• Like 1

Robert Downey Jr. reupped on his contract once they expanded his role in Captain America: Civil War. Marvel isn't going to do any reboots, and they definitely don't want to re-cast the most popular character and actor they have. They'll also be no reboots until at least 2020. They have a gameplan and they've already showcased what movies they'll be doing, ending with Infinity War Part 2 in 2020. 

The new kid playing Spider-Man is a decent actor, I'll give him a shot. He can't be any worse than Garfield. 

Also, Marvel Studios and Fox have made a similar deal on the Fantastic Four as they did with Sony and Spider-Man. Marvel can now use FF, and they'll probably insert them somewhere in Phase 3 before Infinity War. But instead of just getting a little credit for doing nothing and money, which is what Sony gets for Spidey, Fox has regained the rights to make more X-Men TV shows. Which I wasn't aware they'd lost the rights to, but apparently they have that back so don't be surprised if they reboot the X-Men cartoon or do one of the other X-teams like X-Force or X-Factor. 

Hmmm. I might have to recant my previous statement about Apocalypse. I don't know where that awful still of Apocalypse came from, but he was looking strong in that trailer.

Plus I saw my boy Archangel

There's an issue though. They're using the Back in Time version of Magneto, Professor X, and Mystique. And Jean Grey

This is right after Days of Future Past where the timeline is reset. Yet I swear I saw Halle Berry as Storm. So um... Wtf?

Movie is going to have Cyclops, Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, and Jubilee?

Olivia Munn as Psylocke is potentially interesting. Sophie Turner as Jean Grey is solid I suppose. Oscar Isaac as Apocalypse is definitely interesting. And this kid Tye Sheridan seems like he could be a solid Cyclops.

I still feel like the XMen movies missed an opportunity to properly reboot the franchise with First Class and Days of the Future Past. Casting Halle Berry as Storm was a major mistake and I was disappointed to see her keep the role for Days of the Future Past. She's terrible. And Anna Paquin is totally boring as Rogue. As much as I like James Marsden in comedic roles, he was never even close to being right for Cyclops either.

Jennifer Lawrence is a natural Rogue, and they'd have been able to make Rogue a major character if they had recast her role that way. And Zoe Saldana should have been Storm. And the series needs Gambit. And they need to go ahead and cast Channing Tatum in that role.

And the series needs Gambit. And they need to go ahead and cast Channing Tatum in that role.

I agree the series needs Gambit. I completely disagree on Tatum though. The guy can barely talk, now you want him to try a Cajun accent? It would be painful to listen to. They do need someone of his level of star power though. 

I don't know if any of you have watched Swamp People, but if so, I think you'd agree a Cajun accent would play poorly on the big screen. There is no way it wouldn't be completely silly.

I want them to cast Channing Tatum and I want him to keep the Cajun accent as minimal as possible. And I want a fun movie built around him, Hugh Jackman, Jennifer Lawrence, and somebody good cast as Rogue.

I don't think anyones asking modern day Gambit to sound like Jimbo from "Bayou Boys"

Maybe a domesticated big city Cajun accent

Harry Connick Jr

I was never that deep into the X-Men, but it seems Gambit should be far down the list on characters who should get a solo movie from the x-men

Nah, no solo, but def part of a group

Now Cable on the other hand...