Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm on the iPhone, so posting links is a real pain. But there's a Fortune article, titled "Fox's 'Fantastic Four' meets doom at the box office. It's nowhere near breaking even".

I also note that the article is by Tom Huddleston, Jr.

• 2 weeks later...

http://deadline.com/2015/08/marvel-luke-cage-alfre-woodard-cast-mariah-netflix-1201502959/

Marvel’s Luke Cage may has found his match. I’ve learned that Alfre Woodard is finalizing a deal to star opposite Mike Colter in Luke Cage, the third series in Marvel’s four-series package at Netflix.

Woodard will play a lead character listed on the breakdown as Minetta, a powerful woman in local politics who will have an impact on Luke Cage’s life. No one is commenting, but I hear she may actually be playing a version of Marvel villain Black Mariah, a nemesis to Luke Cage as well as Iron Fist.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://deadline.com/2015/09/luke-cage-marvel-simone-missick-cast-misty-knight-netflix-1201513413/

Netflix’s Marvel series Luke Cage has rounded out its core cast. I’ve learned that Simone Missick has landed the younger female lead opposite Mike Colter, Alfre Woodard and Theo Rossi in the third series from Marvel’s four-series package for Netflix. She will play what is listed on the breakdown as “Missy”, a woman with a strong sense of justice. I hear the actual character is Marvel’s Misty Knight, a former NYPD officer who gets a new bionic arm by Tony Stark after losing her in the line of duty. She eventually launches a detective agency, helping Cage (Colter).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Click to read the rest

http://movieweb.com/spider-man-captain-america-civil-war/

How Long Has ‘Spider-Man’ Been Active in ‘Captain America: Civil War’?

Summer 2017 will see a brand new Spider-Man into theaters, with Tom Holland playing Peter Parker. But before he gets to swing on his own, we'll first meet him in next year's Captain America: Civil War. One thing Marvel and Sony want to side-step in rebooting this iconic character is once again telling his origin story. It is well-known by every age of fan at this point, and has been shown in both the 2002 Spider-Man and the 2012 Amazing Spider-Man reboot, as well as numerous comic books and animated series. So that begs the question. Just how long has Peter Parker been dressing up as Spidey when we meet him in the MCU? A new rumor from HH claims to have our answer. 

Click to read the rest

http://screencrush.com/luke-cage-misty-knight-simone-missick/

‘Luke Cage’ Casts Simone Missick as Marvel’s Misty Knight, Our First ‘Iron Fist’ Tie-In?

Just a few scant hours ago, Marvel’s Netflix Luke Cage cast a key villain, and already the Hero For Hire has a major new ally to balance the scales. Simone Missick has been cast in the role of Marvel’s Misty Knight, a super-powered detective in her own right, and potentially our first link to Netflix’s Iron Fist series.

Deadline reported news of Missick’s casting, clarifying that the “Missy” described in casting calls as “a woman with a strong sense of justice” actually referred to Misty Knight. In the comics, Misty is noted as an exceptional NYPD detective who loses her arm to a bomb blast, and is granted a super-strong bionic replacement from Iron Man himself, Tony Stark.

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/22/9373185/coates-black-panther

One of the nation's brightest and most influential writers will be writing a comic book for Marvel. Ta-Nehisi Coates, the national correspondent for The Atlantic and National Book Award nominee, will be writing Black Panther, one of Marvel's premier superheroes next Spring. The New York Times reported:

His passions intersected in May, during the magazine’s New York Ideas seminar, he interviewed Sana Amanat, a Marvel editor, about diversity and inclusion in comic books. Ms. Amanat led the creation of the new Ms. Marvel, a teenage Muslim girl living in Jersey City, based on some of her own childhood experiences … After that event, Marvel reached out, paired Mr. Coates with an editor, and discussions about the comic began. The renewed focus on Black Panther is no surprise.

For the last few years, diversity, and the lack of it, in comic books has been a major discussion. Coates's thoughtfulness and the way he writes about race and its relationship to politics, economics, and issues like mass incarceration is respected and virtually unmatched in this country. Coates is a major comic book fan, and described writing for Marvel as a "childhood dream." The reality of Coates writing a black superhero is a gigantic step in an industry where female and non-white creators are still a minority fighting for their voices to be heard.

This is pretty damn huge. I knew Black Panther was getting a solo book, never anticipated Coates would write it.

• Like 4

I think there's no way the Marvel Netflix characters cross over into the movies, simply based on casting. I know they've basically made it clear the two entities are separate, but I think people have hopes of the Defenders maybe showing up down the road in Infinity War in an all hands on deck situation.

None of the people they cast as Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage are big screen material, IMO. No disrespect to the actors, I'm sure they're talented people, but they seem decidedly small time, compared to who they cast as the leads in the movies. I think if they had any designs about these characters showing up in the big screen, they might've aimed higher.

I think there's no way the Marvel Netflix characters cross over into the movies, simply based on casting. I know they've basically made it clear the two entities are separate, but I think people have hopes of the Defenders maybe showing up down the road in Infinity War in an all hands on deck situation.

None of the people they cast as Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage are big screen material, IMO. No disrespect to the actors, I'm sure they're talented people, but they seem decidedly small time, compared to who they cast as the leads in the movies. I think if they had any designs about these characters showing up in the big screen, they might've aimed higher.

Discussions have taken place about Tony Stark (among others) appearing,

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Charlie Cox is a film actor who played a major role in Theory of Everything. Krysten Ritter has also been in a bunch of movies.

BTW, Chris Hemsworth was a nobody before Thor, Chris Evans was failed leading man still looking for a successful big time film role before Captain America, and Robert Downey Jr's major studio film career was basically in the toilet before Iron Man. Hemsworth played roles in Australian Soap Operas and his only role in a major American film prior to Thor was a small part in the first scene of Star Trek and a role as the villain in the awful "A Perfect Getaway." Chris Evans's career as a leading man was almost aborted because Cellular and the Fantastic Four movies sucked so bad. And Downey Jr flamed out in the late 90's, became an industry punch line, and seemed like he was never going to land another major role in a big project after he got fired from Alley McBeal. He did good work while he was on the fringes of the industry from like 2001-2008, he was brilliant in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and A Scanner Darkly. Small projects though. But it was Iron Man that caused his career renaissance and raised the profile of his roles after 2008.

Point being, MCU makes the star, not the other way around. That's why/how they sign mostly unknowns and damaged goods to dirt cheap long term contracts to star in their blockbuster properties. There is nothing stopping them from using Cox/Colter/Rytter in future movies.

Not that I want to see any more ensemble movies. Avengers 2 greatly suffered from trying to do too much with too many characters.

• Like 4

Charlie Cox is a film actor who played a major role in Theory of Everything. Krysten Ritter has also been in a bunch of movies.

BTW, Chris Hemsworth was a nobody before Thor, Chris Evans was failed leading man still looking for a successful big time film role before Captain America, and Robert Downey Jr's major studio film career was basically in the toilet before Iron Man. Hemsworth played roles in Australian Soap Operas and his only role in a major American film prior to Thor was a small part in the first scene of Star Trek and a role as the villain in the awful "A Perfect Getaway." Chris Evans's career as a leading man was almost aborted because Cellular and the Fantastic Four movies sucked so bad. And Downey Jr flamed out in the late 90's, became an industry punch line, and seemed like he was never going to land another major role in a big project after he got fired from Alley McBeal. He did good work while he was on the fringes of the industry from like 2001-2008, he was brilliant in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and A Scanner Darkly. Small projects though. But it was Iron Man that caused his career renaissance and raised the profile of his roles after 2008.

Point being, MCU makes the star, not the other way around. That's why/how they sign mostly unknowns and damaged goods to dirt cheap long term contracts to star in their blockbuster properties. There is nothing stopping them from using Cox/Colter/Rytter in future movies.

Not that I want to see any more ensemble movies. Avengers 2 greatly suffered from trying to do too much with too many characters.

You're overthinking it. They all look like movie stars, carry themselves like movie stars even when they're not, you can project them doing big things, hence why they were cast. Sure, Hemsworth wasn't known, but Thor was going to have to be that simply because of the physical demand of the role. That would be the exception to the rule.

You can dismiss Evans success as a leading man, but the point was he was a leading man on the big screen. Same for Downey Jr. With those two, they werent trying to make something out of nothing. And we see in how they cast Hulk, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, etc. They're going after well known people. Unless you wanna tell me how Ruffalo, Cumberbatch, and Rudd were plucky up and comers looking for their big break. Mostly unknowns indeed.

Even the supporting Avengers in the movies are Scarlett Johannsen, Jeremy Renner, etc. MCU making the star is a fallacy, save for Hemsworth, they were already stars. They may have just become bigger stars. Put Charlie Cox, Krysten Ritter, or Mike Colter in a starring movie role right now and see how many people show up. I'm not saying they've never been in a movie, they're not gonna get anybody hyped to see them just because it's them.

Edited by justice98

Discussions have taken place about Tony Stark (among others) appearing,

Call me when it happens, they "discuss" a whole lot of stuff that never comes to fruition. They were "discussing" Jeremy Renner popping up on Agents of Shield since the first season, still hasn't happened. All they can muster are a couple of Nick Fury spots. And we all know Samuel L Jackson has never said no to anything. Lol

With the division between the film and TV side, it probably won't happen in any meaningful way. Kevin Feige goes out of his way sometimes to talk about how, while TV and film exist in the same universe, they really dont have much to do with each other.

Put Charlie Cox, Krysten Ritter, or Mike Colter in a starring movie role right now and see how many people show up. I'm not saying they've never been in a movie, they're not gonna get anybody hyped to see them just because it's them.

That's his point. Nobody was showing up for Downey, Hemsworth or Evans' movies before the started popping up in Marvel. Aside from Marvel, Evans and Hemsworth don't have any big time hits anyway. People don't really show up for their movies unless they have Marvel slapped on the side.

Ruffalo was well known but he's not a box office draw either. Scarlet is huge and Cumberbatch has gotten a lot of recognition and popularity the past several years. Those are probably the only 2 that you could even say were stars when they hired them. Rudd too but eh not the same league.

Put these other actors/actresses in a well known Marvel character and people are going to show up either way.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

In regards to Civil War, where's Hulk and Thor?

it depends..  in the comics,, Hulk is gone,, exiled into space to die by Dr. Strange, Iron man, Black Bolt, Reed Richards, Professor X and Namor.

In the comics, Thor is gone, having seen Asgard destroyed.

In the comics, Reed Richards has a clone of Thor that is insane and kills Black Goliath. (Named back in the days when they had to tell us black characters were black.)

But that's a few movies that need to be made first to match them up.

~Bang

That's his point. Nobody was showing up for Downey, Hemsworth or Evans' movies before the started popping up in Marvel. Aside from Marvel, Evans and Hemsworth don't have any big time hits anyway. People don't really show up for their movies unless they have Marvel slapped on the side.

Ruffalo was well known but he's not a box office draw either. Scarlet is huge and Cumberbatch has gotten a lot of recognition and popularity the past several years. Those are probably the only 2 that you could even say were stars when they hired them. Rudd too but eh not the same league.

Put these other actors/actresses in a well known Marvel character and people are going to show up either way.

Yet they keep getting them.

But now we're just quibbling over what constitutes a "star".

Edited by justice98

Well, some of these actors have been in movies before. And considering the high quality of Daredevil, Marvel Studios would be pretty stupid IMO to not capitalize on the critical acclaim. I wouldn't say the Defenders would never show up in the movies just because the actors are smaller names. Where was Robert Downey Jr. before he took the Iron Man role? By that rationale, they would've gone with Tom Cruise the way they initially intended to. 

. They may have just become bigger stars. Put Charlie Cox, Krysten Ritter, or Mike Colter in a starring movie role right now and see how many people show up. 

As Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage, I'd say a lot more people than you think. The only movie I can recall Cumberbatch being in that drew alot of people to theaters was Star Trek 2, and they didn't come to see him. He knocked his role out, but that wasn't the draw. Paul Rudd has been an established comedy actor for a while, but he's always been a good co-star with another established actor, very rarely had he lead on his own and the movie became a big earner. Ruffalo used to be "that guy in all the chick flicks", spare me the he's a major star treatment, that has never been him. 

The only thing stopping Marvel Studios from using the Marvel/Netflix actors in movies is money. Period. If Ritter, Cox and Colter don't have movie appearances in their contract than it's possible Marvel may have to pony up a little more for a real role in a movie and not a cameo. Considering the money they had to pay RDJ, and soon will have to pay Evans, they'll probably keep them to a cameo to tie them in but not cost themselves an arm and a leg. 

Marvel Studios has made some great decisions, but they've also turned some in the Hollywood circles off with their approach. IMO, I'm fine if the Defenders are just mentioned in a movie or do a cameo. As someone said earlier in this thread, the huge ensembles are difficult to pull off and their better movies, like Cap 2, didn't need all of these heroes. I'm hoping to see no more than three of these actors per feature in the coming movies leading up to Infinity War. 

Edited by Gamebreaker

Well, some of these actors have been in movies before. And considering the high quality of Daredevil, Marvel Studios would be pretty stupid IMO to not capitalize on the critical acclaim. I wouldn't say the Defenders would never show up in the movies just because the actors are smaller names. Where was Robert Downey Jr. before he took the Iron Man role? By that rationale, they would've gone with Tom Cruise the way they initially intended to.

That would only make sense if Downey Jr and Charlie Cox were on the same level at the same point. Downey Jr when he was cast as Iron Man was still of a higher profile than Cox is now. As Kornheiser used to say, Cox could walk down the street today with a sign that said "I'm Charlie Cox" and still nobody but fanboys would know who he was. Times may have been slow, but RDJ was still RDJ. And his comeback had already started before Iron Man came along. IM just put a rocket pack on it.

Edited by justice98

Marvel Studios has made some great decisions, but they've also turned some in the Hollywood circles off with their approach. IMO, I'm fine if the Defenders are just mentioned in a movie or do a cameo. As someone said earlier in this thread, the huge ensembles are difficult to pull off and their better movies, like Cap 2, didn't need all of these heroes. I'm hoping to see no more than three of these actors per feature in the coming movies leading up to Infinity War. 

You wish will not come true. This May Captain America: Civil War will hit the theaters and there is going to be like 10 to 12 different heroes in it. Plus, a villain or two.

You wish will not come true. This May Captain America: Civil War will hit the theaters and there is going to be like 10 to 12 different heroes in it. Plus, a villain or two.

I knew that, I meant after Civil War. We have Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Thor 3, Guardians 2 coming up. I'd they can't keep to the main hero of the story, another established character that doesn't need their backstory told, and a villain, then I think they can keep the casual audience engaged through this next phase. IMO, the casual audience is having superhero movie fatigue because they are overloaded with some many characters.

Honestly, even the comic fans are having some of that too. I still don't know what the Heck Thor was doing in Avengers 2.

I knew that, I meant after Civil War. We have Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Thor 3, Guardians 2 coming up. I'd they can't keep to the main hero of the story, another established character that doesn't need their backstory told, and a villain, then I think they can keep the casual audience engaged through this next phase. IMO, the casual audience is having superhero movie fatigue because they are overloaded with some many characters.

Honestly, even the comic fans are having some of that too. I still don't know what the Heck Thor was doing in Avengers 2.

That was the studios fault. Joss Whedon's talked about how they forced some things on him at the expense of other things he wantes to do. He had to cut out a lot of explanatory stuff regarding Thor's side journey in exhange for other things he got to keep in.

• 2 weeks later...