Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

tony starks is bunk, f him and his whack team.

#TeamCapFOREVER

Cap needs to let that Bucky dude go. Sometimes you just gotta cut a man loose.

Shouldn't turn his back on a fellow avenger for that loser

And i didn't realize this so maybe everybody else was already aware but they definitely went away from The civil war storyline of the comics

Cap needs to let that Bucky dude go. Sometimes you just gotta cut a man loose.

Shouldn't turn his back on a fellow avenger for that loser

And i didn't realize this so maybe everybody else was already aware but they definitely went away from The civil war storyline of the comics

Bucky is central to Cap's story. He was his partner in the Golden Age comics. The Captain America movie already departed from the comics dramatically, because in them, Bucky was a "boy wonder" type side kick who was like Robin to Cap's Batman. And Bucky died saving Cap as they saved New York from Baron Zemo's missile, not from falling to his death on a train on some mission to fight the Red Skull.

When Cap got resurrected in the Silver Age comics to be an Avenger, he spent most of his free time consumed with guilt and vengeance for Bucky's death, and would frequently fly off to kick Zemo's ass whenever he popped up. It's also why Cap wouldn't totally allow Rick Jones (the Hulk's original partner) to be his sidekick during the Silver Age.

Gold and Silver Age comics were made in a time where comic book readership was like 99% teen aged and adolescent boys. So the writers made an effort to try and put teen-aged sidekicks in them to be inclusive to their audience. That's what Bucky was.

To say that Cap should abandon Bucky would be to say Batman should abandon Robin just because the Flash was being a douche. The main reason for the rift between Cap and Iron Man was because Iron Man was the leader of the Pro-Registration faction and Cap was the leader of the Anti-Registration faction.

I figured the MCU movies would have to depart from the comics pretty dramatically because Fox owns the rights to Fantastic Four and they haven't made the Captain Marvel movie and introduced Carol Danvers yet. She and Reed Richards were central figures in the Pro-Reg faction. Also there has been no introduction of the New Warriors (the faction who caused the disaster that started the movement to pass the SRA) and I don't know which company owns their rights. Also Luke Cage hasn't made his way into the movie universe, he was a central Anti-Reg character.

• Like 1

Civil War Trailer

I'm seeing this no less than 50 times

Yeah. So many things to note.

1. Is Rhodes/War Machine dead? Looks like Bucky ripped his arc reactor out.

2. The irony of Thunderbolt Ross lecturing Cap on recklessness and lack of accountability after blowing up Culver University and half a city in his reckless pursuit of Hulk.

3. Black Panther!

4. In the first Avengers, Cap was the establishment's obedient soldier and Stark was the maverick. Since New York and Winter Soldier their characters have reversed. Now Cap stands on truth in principle, against the establishment, while Tony is pro-establishment due to his obsession with security.

1. Is Rhodes/War Machine dead? Looks like Bucky ripped his arc reactor out.

Rhodes doesn't need the arc reactor to live like Stark does. Stark needs it to power an electromagnet that keeps shrapnel from reaching his heart.

Which, if you think about it, why doesn't Tony get the shrapnel removed? If they can build an organic body for Vision, they should be able to fix whatever is wrong with Tony.

Rhodes doesn't need the arc reactor to live like Stark does. Stark needs it to power an electromagnet that keeps shrapnel from reaching his heart.

Which, if you think about it, why doesn't Tony get the shrapnel removed? If they can build an organic body for Vision, they should be able to fix whatever is wrong with Tony.

Wasn't the shrapnel removed at the end of Iron Man 3?

• Like 1

Bucky is central to Cap's story. He was his partner in the Golden Age comics. The Captain America movie already departed from the comics dramatically, because in them, Bucky was a "boy wonder" type side kick who was like Robin to Cap's Batman. And Bucky died saving Cap as they saved New York from Baron Zemo's missile, not from falling to his death on a train on some mission to fight the Red Skull.

Gold and Silver Age comics were made in a time where comic book readership was like 99% teen aged and adolescent boys. So the writers made an effort to try and put teen-aged sidekicks in them to be inclusive to their audience. That's what Bucky was.

To say that Cap should abandon Bucky would be to say Batman should abandon Robin just because the Flash was being a douche. The main reason for the rift between Cap and Iron Man was because Iron Man was the leader of the Pro-Registration faction and Cap was the leader of the Anti-Registration faction.

Good post, thanks for the info. I never got into marvel comics so didn't know how central Bucky was to Cap in them. Just basing my opinion off the movies, the character is dead weight to me anyway.

And I'd agree, saying that is similar to asking Batman to drop Robin...which in all good Batman movies, has happened.

And I know it's different because Robin wasnt introduced and then ignored but I just feel like the Avengers have has so much success and worked so well it's silly for Cap to turn his back on Stark over Bucky, unless the reason given in the story is really really good. So I guess we will see

Wasn't the shrapnel removed at the end of Iron Man 3?

Yes he has surgery to have it removed at the end of IM3. At this point, I assume he just keeps it in as an easy power for the iron man suit, though that doesn't appear necessary either since Rhodey and his other robotic suits no longer need it.

Iron Man 3 was a disaster

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

1)  I would certainly think that loyalty to his fellow soldiers is a trait that Cap would have in abundance.  (Over and above the fact that he's a link to Cap's past, which is also a fundamental part of his character.) 

2)  And it's just an assumption, but the vibe I get is that Bucky is being used as the poster child for the "Super Registration and Control" initiative.  That he's the symbol for the larger issue of the story. 

(After all, the evil general can't very well go and announce that he wants this law passed, to protect America from Captain America.)

• Like 1

****, I don't even really remember Iron Man 3. I bought it and watched it once. I remember how friggin lame they made the Mandarin and then flipped it around and made Aldrich Killian the real Mandarin. I remember wishing they hadn't ruined Mandarin that way.

Momma, the reason for the conflict between Cap and Iron Man isn't because of Bucky, it's because Iron Man sold out and became the leader of the Pro Registration superheroes. Pro Reg sucked, they were dupes and they lost their way, whereas Cap's moral compass is always true. I believe the movie will show the corruption of the Pro Reg movement to us with the experiences of Spiderman, as happened in the comics.

• Like 1

Trailer does look like they are keeping with the registration aspect of "civil war", so I've come to accept "artisit license" since many of these storylines have had to be "fixed" in the comics themselves.  Second, this movie looks aweseome regardless, and really glad they didn't already blow their wad on any spiderman footage with this trailer.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

****, I don't even really remember Iron Man 3. I bought it and watched it once. I remember how friggin lame they made the Mandarin and then flipped it around and made Aldrich Killian the real Mandarin. I remember wishing they hadn't ruined Mandarin that way.

Momma, the reason for the conflict between Cap and Iron Man isn't because of Bucky, it's because Iron Man sold out and became the leader of the Pro Registration superheroes. Pro Reg sucked, they were dupes and they lost their way, whereas Cap's moral compass is always true. I believe the movie will show the corruption of the Pro Reg movement to us with the experiences of Spiderman, as happened in the comics.

Yep, I don't know how they can do Civil War right without Reed Richards though.

Good news is, FOX dropped plans for FF 2 so maybe Reed and the the gang are coming back to Marvel.

Not sure of the validity, but there's a screenshot of something tiny on Cap's shoulder. People are saying that might have been Ant-Man

That would be awesome. I don't remember Scott Lang having any role in the comic story line, and I'm pretty sure they're not going to have Hank Pym as yellow jacket helping out Richards and Stark. So I look forward to seeing how MCU uses Scott Lang. Also wouldn't mind seeing them go ahead and introduce Evangeline Lily as the new wasp and having her side with Cap too.

Yep, I don't know how they can do Civil War right without Reed Richards though.

Good news is, FOX dropped plans for FF 2 so maybe Reed and the the gang are coming back to Marvel.

Yeah all four of the FF were important to the comic version of the story line. Thing as kind of a neutral figure showing the folly of the SRA, and Johnny and Sue's defection to the Anti Reg movement was also pretty important for showing how Reed had lost his way.

They need a genius scientist to work with Tony to create the prison to hold Superhumans. If not Reed then who? Hank Pym? I kind of have a hard time seeing that given how uninvolved he's been in the Avengers story lines to date. Maybe Bruce Banner? But he definitely would never work with Thunderbolt Ross.

Love the trailer and every single shot of Bucky. I need more Bucky Barnes. That shot of him against Iron Man solo and trying to rip out the arc reactor...YES. And then the tandem fight with Cap against Iron Man...MORE YES.

I'm actually more excited for this film (and maybe Rogue One) than I am for The Force Awakens.

Hulk won't even be in this. His return is scheduled for Thor: Ragnarok. Rumor is they will duke it out again.

I don't think I've ever heard that...the last I heard it was more of a buddy team-up and a director with comedic sensibilities was intentionally hired to lighten the dark tone.

I don't think I've ever heard that...the last I heard it was more of a buddy team-up and a director with comedic sensibilities was intentionally hired to lighten the dark tone.

I can't find the link where I read it, but you are probably right. Maybe Hulk helps Asgard to stop Surtur from triggering Ragnarok?

But you know, we all think of Ragnarok as an event, but with no plot leak yet, what if Ragnarok is a character and tied in with the Sokovia Accords (he was a cyborg clone of Thor via Tony Stark in the comics) on Iron Man's side? Now that's interesting...

Read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnarok_%28comics%29

It seems like it would fit pretty nicely into the overall storyline. So, Thor will wrap up the Civil War mini-story and re-unite the Avengers for the Infinity War story.

You heard it here first.

Edited by Zguy28

OK, so the Sokovia Accords is MCU's version of the SRA?

Makes sense, because MCU doesn't have the characters needed to do it the way the comics did. No New Warriors and Nitro. Also, the SRA was a product of the US government, and the MCU Avengers are much more global in scope. A global initiative to register superhumans definitely seems in order.

• Like 1