Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Okay, so a way-far-in-advance trailer for next year's Deadpool flick aired at Comic-Con this weekend. Please note that it's *very* NSFW.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/07/12/deadpool-watch-the-leaked-r-rated-trailer-that-won-comic-con.html

Even though it's only taken from a phone, I still found myself pretty absorbed in this. Got me excited about a character that I really don't care much about in my reading.

I know that I'm finding logic holes in a comic book movie, but I have to say that for a while, now, I've had this negative feeling about Days of Future Past. 

Because supposedly, the entire basis for the story, is that Mystique's DNA gives Trask Industries the ability to create sentinels that can steal mutant's powers. 

And Mystique doesn't have that power.  Rogue does.  Mystique only has the power to copy people's appearance

• Like 2

Because supposedly, the entire basis for the story, is that Mystique's DNA gives Trask Industries the ability to create sentinels that can steal mutant's powers. 

And Mystique doesn't have that power.  Rogue does.  Mystique only has the power to copy people's appearance

Whoops.

That is a pretty big oopsie. You can explain it away, but a good point non the less.

I really don't care for any of the XMen movies.  Filled with plot holes and poor choices as you say Larry.  But also, I think their casting choices are terrible.  Outside of the obvious choice of casting Patrick Stewart as Xavier, I really don't like their casting choices.  I wish MCU had the rights to XMen, because this is something big that they always nail.

That said, I am looking forward to a potential Gambit movie starring Channing Tatum.

I really liked the first X Men movie. In fact, the whole first trilogy.

Granted, I knew absolutely nothing about the characters, before the movie. What I know about the X Men, I know from those movies.

But I really liked what I saw. The fact that the leaders of the Good Guys and the Bad Guys knew each other's secret identities. That they sometimes worked together. That both of them were hiding, not from each other, but from society.

It just seemed to have so much incredible potential, for morality plays. For social commentary. One of my favorite parts: "Have you considered, NOT being a mutant?"

I thought I saw a setting that could do the kinds of things that Star Trek used to do.

I really think they haven't come close to living up to that potential. The impression I get is that for the last decade or so, the motivation has simply been to make movies, just to keep the rights from reverting back to Disney. (Who, I believe, admittedly without support, could do fantastic things with them).

One of the few times I've actually been very disappointed with one of these Super Hero movies was with Days of Future Past and the way they portrayed the Sentinels. One reason the one Larry gave. That was big. The other is that they threw out a bit of a hint with them in the the danger room scene in the third XMen movie and they give us what they did with Days of Future Past. Part of that might be because I read,(and we still have it wrapped up),the original Claremont/Byrne version. Hard as I try not to let those comics of the past influence me in any way with the movies,it might still happen from time to time. I tend go in with an open mind. I mean these characters,(just like their DC counterparts),have gone through so many incarnations and different storylines it's tough to keep up. A lot of people fans of the characters probably have a favorite version or two and might like to see them portrayed in the movies. I don't know. With so many versions of these characters in mind,I think the studios have largely done a pretty good job of taking some of those versions and blending them with their own. Then again,I'm pretty easy to please with these movies so there is that. ;)

I really liked the first X Men movie. In fact, the whole first trilogy.

The first one was good.  The second was great.  But man the third one was awful. I enjoyed First Class too, and Days of Future Past was arguably the best one.  That or X2.  The Quicksilver sequence alone was worth the price of admission for Future Past.  And there were plenty of other great action set pieces.

The thing with the sentinels...shrug.  I haven't seen it since it first came out, but I do not recall sentinels stealing powers the way Rogue does.  I took it as pre-programmed "abilities" that they could call upon in different situations.  Consider also that what they were doing in the future was after 50 years of development.  So perhaps the first few versions just got better and better at shape shifting until the technology progressed to the point they could mimic certain abilities.  Even if that is a hole, it's not bad enough to sour me on the whole movie

Edited by Bliz

PCS hit the nail on the head. There are so many different versions of all these characters that we've known and loved for years. I don't necessarily want one of those versions of the character pulled straight from the comics and stuck into a movie. This goes for all the superhero/comic book movies.

I enjoy seeing story lines from comics adapted but with the director or studios own take on an established character.

I really enjoyed the Amazing Spiderman movies. I thought those were fun portrayals of familiar characters and I liked that they pulled the Gwen storyline in and put their own spin on it.

Same thing with the Nolan TDK trilogy. It wasn't an amazing comic Batman, for me, it was a great hypothetical take on Batman and more importantly, the struggle to save the city of Gotham, a belief in the good of those people. That was interesting even if he character wasnt the truest it could have been.

I even like the crazy Burton take on Batman even though he kills more people than the Joker in that movie. it was interesting, Not my fave but still.

Gettig back on topic a bit. I never got into the Xmen trilogy. Just didn't intrigue me. I watched the xmen cartoon when I was younger too. I loved Xmen Origins Wolverine though. I still need to catch up on the two most recent. From what I can tell, it seems like things are getting a little messy but I'll withold judgement until I've seen them.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

The Fantastic Four preview looks cool and I think they might be closer, but the thing I worry about is that in all of the released bits I've seen almost no story line. I guess that could be okay, but the thing I've always loved about the FF is that in a sense they weren't superheroes. They were science fiction heroes. So, what I want out of their movie is a really cool science fiction story where intellect and ideas and inventions matter... not just an action adventure beat em up watch things explode flick.

I'll be buying a ticket though... and hoping.

• Like 1

I had really high hopes for the FF movie.  Then there were rumors that it was  train wreck and I got super disappointed.  But I don't know... I'm looking forward to it now.  The casting decisions seemed odd at first, but all of the actors they chose are legitimately good.  And that gives me some hope.  No Jessica Albas in this film.

As much as I love X-Men, I think Silver Age FF defines Marvel for me.  We need a good FF film.  I really hope this one does the franchise justice.

• Like 1