Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I get what you're saying. He did seem overly skilled and adept for a kid in that situation.

To be fair, his powers are better than Ant-Man(who's a new hero getting used to his gear too), TWS and Falcon. He should be able to beat them despite barely being a better fighter than Scott Lang.

Thought the movie was awesome. I have it tied with The Winter Solider movie.

Also, this won't possibly happen until like 3-4 years from now when they do the Infinity War. But does anyone else think the Vision won't be around long? He's powered by one of the Infinity Gems. In order for Thanos to make the gauntlet he's going to need to have all of those gems.

Edited by Gamebreaker

I get what you're saying. He did seem overly skilled and adept for a kid in that situation.

The one thing you may be forgetting about is his "spidey-sense"  Even if Spider-Man can't fight yet (in the early 1960's, Spidey often got his lunch stolen, sand kicked in his face, and was routinely beaten up by the bad guys), but he did have this amazing advantage of precognition. He knew what was coming and could react to it in advance. 

Now, Marvel has been going back and forth between the idea of Spidey-sense being a magical kind of precognition and just a super-heightened set of senses, but if his spidey sense is tingling... Spidey can dodge what's coming.

Edited by Burgold

I know that but I dunno why but he in particular bugs me eve though I really like Ant man.

From the article

I figured that squeezing Rudd’s maybe 160 pounds down to ant-size gets into the density of a white dwarf star range.

I saw that, too.  It's like they're arguing quantum mechanics make things possible that we don't understand yet (which to an extent is true), but I still haven't found a density answer that will shut me up yet.

Edited by Renegade7

I did love it (CW)---hell, the Widow alone seals it for me. It was very busy. There were many parts I liked--big on Spidey and other specifics---and that's what it felt like---a whole lot of (great) parts.

Knowing all the events highlighted in the past movies that were leading up to the Accords and the Tony/Cap split is intended to help with cohesion across the arc, but it still had a more jigsaw-piece feel than "smooth."  I can see that it may just be impossible with so many parts over so much time for  things to have flowed much better.  

The action scenes are outstanding, from hand to hand choreography/stunts to CGI. 

A friend who also loved it overall as I did, said it did seem a lot like a much longer (and spectacularly entertaining) ad for the Phase 3 future landscape. I was surprised to hear some people were actually disappointed.

Also, this won't possibly happen until like 3-4 years from now when they do the Infinity War. But does anyone else think the Vision won't be around long? He's powered by one of the Infinity Gems. In order for Thanos to make the gauntlet he's going to need to have all of those gems.

I don't have a problem with Vision not being around because he's fairly pointless to me. But I thought they retconned that and said there was another set of gems or something and that Thanos wouldn't need the gem from Vision for the infinity gauntlet.

I could have sworn I read that somewhere

I did love it (CW)---hell, the Widow alone seals it for me. It was very busy. There were many parts I liked--big on Spidey and other specifics---and that's what it felt like---a whole lot of (great) parts.

Knowing all the events highlighted in the past movies that were leading up to the Accords and the Tony/Cap split is intended to help with cohesion across the arc, but it still had a more jigsaw-piece feel than "smooth."  I can see that it may just be impossible with so many parts over so much time for  things to have flowed much better.  

The action scenes are outstanding, from hand to hand choreography/stunts to CGI. 

A friend who also loved it overall as I did, said it did seem a lot like a much longer (and spectacularly entertaining) ad for the Phase 3 future landscape. I was surprised to hear some people were actually disappointed.

It was half Avengers 3, half Captain America 3.

It's really amazing what Marvel has been able to do with the MCU. It's really never been done like this before. They're 13 movies into this shared universe and it has all worked out pretty well. Even the less highly regarded movies arent really "bad", per se, they're just not as good as others in comparison.

It's a huge endeavour, and from a quality and storytelling perspective, it all holds together pretty well, considering it had the potential to go awry at any moment. See the DCEU for how hard it is to pull off, or how easy it is to mess it up.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from seeing X Men: Apocalypse.

And it was vastly better than what I expected, from the trailer I watched.

The trailer made it look like the summary was "X Men fight a scary bad guy". But as with a lot of the Marvel movies, I was seriously impressed with the amount of character in the movie. 

Edit: 

And there's a big, cataclysmic scene in the movie, where the music if Beethoven's Symphony No. 7.  And I just know that I've seen some other movie that had a really big dramatic scene with that same music, but I can't remember the other movie. 

Edited by Larry

I was not really impressed with X-Men: Apocalypse. It was ok. I just wasnt moved by anything that happened in this movie. No character really stood out. Psylocke and Angel didnt need to be there at all.

I think the franchise would benefit from some new blood/ideas behind the scenes.

Edited by justice98

As with most of these comic movies these days...I'll wait until it is on one of the streaming networks or cable channels. 

They flooded the market and they are not as exciting to see for me. I said this was going to happen. 

EDIT: Over saturated. That is what I was trying to say.  

Edited by Kosher Ham

I think the franchise would benefit from some new blood/ideas behind the scenes.

or being back into the hands of Marvel.

The non-Disney studios have had such an up and down history with superhero flicks. I really liked the first two Tobey McGuire Spider-Man and X-Men 1 wasn't bad, but the attempts on the FF were horrible, the standalone Wolverines were pretty bad, etc.

• Like 1

they can saturate all they want so long as they keep putting out quality, and Marvel puts out quality.

Every film they've made has been a blast for me, and the two i thought were sort of WTF when they made them turned out to also be terrific fun,, ie: Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man.

When Stan Lee and Jack Kirby revived Captain America in the 60s they said that every issue had to start out with action, no slow entry, no re-hash of last issue,, just straight up fast and exciting action on the first 3 pages of every Cap issue.

All of the movies follow this tenet, and man, what fun it is. Better be in your seat on time, because those movies start off FAST. 

In CW, that opening action scene is about 15-20 minutes..   and makes a 2.5 hour movie seem nt so long.

As to CW, Black Panther is awesome, but the Falcon damn near stole the movie for me.. love his wings and gadgets. Redwing is too cool!

Can't wait now that Spiderman is back in Marvel's hands,, maybe we won't get another origin movie for a change.

~Bang

Can't wait now that Spiderman is back in Marvel's hands,, maybe we won't get another origin movie for a change.

~Bang

We shouldn't since the character is already introduced. Might get a flashback within the movie which is okay, but he told his origin (sort of to Stark, at least the Uncle Ben part which is the origin of the hero and not how he got his powers)

~Bang

Marvel has already said it will not be an origin movie because with 5 previous films you know how he got his powers.
  • Like 1

Some of the reviews are saying X-Men:Apocalypse is worse than The Last Stand, which I simply can't fathom being possible. Fox needs to just go to Sony route. Let Marvel Studios take over directional and story control, and you just collect the money for it. Sony is going to benefit greatly from realizing their faults in getting the best out of this license, and Fox needs to do the same. 

Even when Fox gets it right (Deadpool) it's almost by accident because Ryan Reynolds, whoever in Fox who liked the test footage on the internet, and the consumers finally convinced Fox on how to do the character justice. 

Edited by Gamebreaker

Some of the reviews are saying X-Men:Apocalypse is worse than The Last Stand, which I simply can't fathom being possible. Fox needs to just go to Sony route. Let Marvel Studios take over directional and story control, and you just collect the money for it. Sony is going to benefit greatly from realizing their faults in getting the best out of this license, and Fox needs to do the same. 

Even when Fox gets it right (Deadpool) it's almost by accident because Ryan Reynolds, whoever in Fox who liked the test footage on the internet, and the consumers finally convinced Fox on how to do the character justice. 

It was better then last stand, but they still found a way to bad taste in my mouth with how they handled Jean Grey by the end of the movie.  I agree Fox needs to get out the way and let the professionals handle X-Men movies going forward.

• Like 1

Those reviews are nonsense. It's a step down from DOFP, but it's acceptable.

I would've cast Apocalypse differently. The new people are all too young, IMO. A pet peeve of mine is nobody's aging, but the stories are jumping ahead a decade. The way they cast Apocalypse, it might as well be First Class all over again. Personally, I would've cast older actors that could pass for younger, rather than try to get younger actors, but then keep setting the stories a decade ahead each time.

Edited by justice98

Just saw Apocalypse. Outside of the Weapon X parts (which was outstanding and should have been the tone of the whole film), the movie was just throwaway junk and filler. You can tell Singer is tired of the franchise and merely going through the motions. And they completely whiffed on the villian Apocalypse himself, talk about being miscast (Isaac is a great actor, just not the portrayl for this).

And that is your typical Fox Superhero movie. They mail it in more times than they get it right. And when they get it right, it's more of a broken clock being correct twice a day scenario than them actually understanding what worked and consistently doing it. 

My biggest gripe on the X-Men movies, outside of them focusing too much on the characters portrayed by the most famous actor/actress, is the very dull fight scenes that don't resemble anything you would expect from the X-Men. 

• Like 1