Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Only two episodes so far. 

Often, I find myself disliking it when shows try to portray The Bad Guy as having a good side, just being misguided, or some such. 

For example, D'Onofrio's Kingpin. Really?  He's a guy who wants to give away affordable housing in Hell's Kitchen?  Who has compromised the cops to the point that he can literally order the entire NYPD SWAT team (not just one compromised cop), to murder ANOTHER COP?  

However, having said that?  I'm kinda liking the character Cottonmouth. I'm liking the fact that the precipitating event in this origin story, the Bad Guy actually ordered against it. The fact that (it looks like the way things are shaping up), Cottonmouth might be about to get beat up by Luke, for a crime that he didn't commit. 

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I love Luke Cage but nothing tops Daredevil season one for me.  The action and fight choreography were unbelievable.  Season 2 really suffered from not having DeKnight as showrunner though.

I think Defenders is going to be amazing.  Iron Fist and Luke Cage are a classic buddy tandem and Daredevil is so cool.

Its a tough call for me. Daredevil wins on action and choreography, Cage had a better atmosphere and feel. I realize feel is completely subjective, but Cage connected with me in a way that Daredevil just can't.

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

BTW, is vibranium the "Judas/alien metal" Shades is talking about?

I haven't finished the series yet so I don't know what details it gives.  I was thinking vibranium too.  But there are enough aliens in MCU now for that to be the explanation too.  The Chitauri would have left a TON of scrap metal around after "the incident."  The Kree have also been milling around in GotG and Agents of Shield, could be Kree technology.  It could also be something Asgardian or Dark Elf.  I don't think its uru, but I suppose it could be.

What we do know is that it's Justin Hammer technology--that shady ass rival to Tony Stark played by Sam Rockwell.  He's involved in a lot of villainous stuff so he could have gotten the material from anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

Its a tough call for me. Daredevil wins on action and choreography, Cage had a better atmosphere and feel. I realize feel is completely subjective, but Cage connected with me in a way that Daredevil just can't.

I know what you mean.  Daredevil is really tense and never lets you get comfortable.  It's also not as broad in scope or socially conscious as Luke Cage.  It's a self contained little world.  But in Luke Cage they're talking about everything from police brutality to Kristaps Porzingis.  Luke Cage has a lot more to say.  I think the different scopes suit the characters.  Matt Murdock was pretty narrowly focused on justice and revenge.  Luke was more of a thinker.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Larry said:

Often, I find myself disliking it when shows try to portray The Bad Guy as having a good side, just being misguided, or some such. 

It's hard to talk about this without dropping spoilers for where you are in the show, but Cottonmouth isn't the Big Bad of the season.  The writers have room to make him more sympathetic than they would be able to if he was.

I wonder if the show is going to introduce Colleen Wing at some point?

Also wanted to say that I love how the show incorporates the original costumes and catch phrases of the characters and then hangs a lampshade on them by cracking jokes or calling them corny.

Spoiler

Like when Fish asks if Diamondback is a pimp storm trooper when he first sees his costume during the last episode :rofl89:

43 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wonder if the show is going to introduce Colleen Wing at some point?

Easter egg. ;)

Speaking of which, since no one picked up on it,  the one I mentioned in the 6th show was Patty (Tricia) Walker aka Hellcat from Jessica Jones doing her radio show at the beginning of that episode. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TK said:

Easter egg. ;)

Speaking of which, since no one picked up on it,  the one I mentioned in the 6th show was Patty (Tricia) Walker aka Hellcat from Jessica Jones doing her radio show at the beginning of that episode. 

I got that part. I'm hoping Jess herself makes  an appearance. So far, she's simply "that rebound chick". But I guess they don't want anyone to steal his shine yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TK said:

Easter egg. ;)

I just saw the easter egg, nice.  I assume she's going to pop up in season 2 then.  Can't wait to see who they cast for her role.  That's going to be great.

I noticed that radio interview with Hellcat too.  Got excited for a minute that she might pop up in the show.  Rachael Taylor leaves an impression.

MCU knows how to cast some honeys.  Every single significant female role is played by a talented and extraordinarily beautiful actress.

Soundtrack is incredible.  It's crucial to the atmosphere of the show and capturing the spirit of the original comic.  It's one of my favorite things about the series.

Some spoiler talk:

Spoiler

I love that Misty is in her classic costume in the final scene.  They set her up to leave the NYPD and help open up Heroes for Hire with Luke in Pop's Barber Shop really well.  I am surprised and pleased that she was basically a second main character of the series.  A lot of depth and development for her.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't catch any set up for Iron Fist.

I just looked up Claire Temple's character history and I had no idea that she was married to Bill Foster in the comics.  Foster was introduced in early Avengers comics as Hank Pym's best friend and lab partner.  He eventually assumed the mantle of being Goliath (a version of Giant Man) from Hank Pym (and Clinton Barton).  I had no idea.  I wonder if Daredevil made reference to Foster as her ex husband?  Or if they'll introduce him later?  That'd be a tricky retcon because they have utterly changed Hank Pym's character in MCU, giving his attributes and accomplishments to Tony Stark and Scott Lang, making him a contemporary of Howard Stark and Peggy Carter, and basically dumping Janet Van Dyne from the universe altogether.

Speaking of Claire, she's a tie that binds a lot of different heroes together in the comics and she has that same role in the TV shows.  Rosario Dawson has absolutely owned that role.  Excellent actress.

And speaking of Iron Fist, I'm excited about the series, but I'm also dreading it a little bit.  I'm worried that Dr Strange is going to have a lot of similar themes, but do them better.  And that he'll seem a bit like an ersatz composite of Stephen Strange, Tony Stark, and Matt Murdock.  I'm also wondering how the show is going to top the fight scenes and action sets of Daredevil.  They absolutely have to.  It won't do the greatest martial artist outside of Captain America on Marvel's Earth credit if they don't.  But Daredevil set the bar really high for that kind of stuff.  They need to get some legends from the Hong Kong film industry in there to help make the show.

One last thing, MCU really needs to get the rights for Fantastic Four back.  For a million reasons.  But one good one is because the FF loomed large in so many different story lines of the New York heroes.  The Thing was one of the New Avengers with Luke Cage and the Human Torch was a Hero for Hire.  How awesome would it be if the FF were popping up in these shows and movies?

Fox should be shuttered for what they've done to the Fantastic Four.

• Like 1

One more last thing, the Netflix shows have truly done right by their characters.  The portrayals of Luke and Daredevil and Punisher were some of the most thoughtful, compelling, and nuanced that you can possibly get from visual media based on comic books.  They carry their weight better than some of the Marvel movies do.  They hit home runs with each of those casting choices.  Loras Tyrell better be good too.  And I think he will be.

Didn't realize they'd already cast Colleen Wing too.  It's the girl who played Nymeria Sand in GoT.  Odd GoT connection between her and Finn Jones.  She's definitely got the right look.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Heard they started filming the Punisher series.  They must be trying to get it in before Defenders.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/punisher-netflix-series-begins-filming

Makes sense. We can look at The Defenders series as The Avengers movie. For the movies in the MCU, it was the end of phase 1. Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Hulk all had solo movies prior to it. 

There is likely a story they want to tell with the Punisher that wouldn't fit into their Phase 2 of the Marvel/Netflix plan. So it's best to get it out of the way and close the Punisher chapter before The Defenders so it doesn't seem out of place. No evidence this is the case, but just my opinion. 

Edited by Gamebreaker

I think it's a little strange that they named the ensemble series Defenders instead of Heroes for Hire since Dr Strange was such a big part of the Defenders and they are, seemingly, not going to include him in the series.  That said, Frank Castle worked with both the Defenders and Heroes for Hire.  I could see them putting him in the Defenders series even though he wasn't one of the four originally planned members.  It'd be tough to reconcile him as an ally with the nobility of purpose and method of Murdock and Cage.  Meaning I don't see how you write around the fact that Frank Castle kills people and Luke Cage and Matt Murdock would not work with him, they would put him in jail.  But they might figure out how do it since the character has turned out to be so popular.