Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

Are they crying about the casting? Or overall script/action? 

Dude deleted his Twitter due to the backlash he was receiving about the show.

thats part of it, but the general consensus seems that its just not compelling, especially when compared to the other Marvel shows on Netflix

• Like 1

Just now, justice98 said:

Seems weird that Iron Fist would be such a downgrade in terms of quality over there first 4 editions of the Netflix universe.

If you don't hire good writers, then that's what you end up with.

Nothing kills a movie or TV show for me like awful writing.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Apparently the screenwriting is dreck.

****.  This is disappointing.  I've always kind of had a soft spot for the 70's camp of Luke Cage and Iron Fist and was really looking forward to this.

Im surprised but not really. Ive long said that the MCU style is something that will not last forever, and something that not everyone can do.

The fact that this will be the fourth show featuring many of the same characters, I think that wears on people. And if something else is not up to par, thats all she wrote

Iron Fist could have built off the momentum the other shows started.  Audiences will be familiar with some of the settings and characters those shows introduced, so you don't have to fill in as much.  It sounds like Iron Fist just hired bad writers.  It doesn't matter how good you source material and your universe is, you can't do anything with bad writing.  It's one of those fundamental technical elements like sound editing and cinemetography/visual composition where you must get at least a bare minimum of competence.

I'm a fan though, so I'm going to watch it.  Also I love Rosario Dawson, and will watch almost anything she's in.

I dont think they hired bad writers, they hired competent writers that wrote a bad show.  It happens.  My issue is why the showrunner didn't course correct upon seeing the scripts.  If the reviews are to be believed, that's where it went sideways.  

The actress who plays Colleen Wing is quite beautiful.

Iron Fist is bad.  That's indisputable.  But I'm enjoying it in spite of its flaws.  I like Danny Rand and Colleen Wing and Claire Temple and I like the universe.  At this point I will watch anything that Marvel Studios creates and I am really looking forward to Defenders.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The actress who plays Colleen Wing is quite beautiful.

Iron Fist is bad.  That's indisputable.  But I'm enjoying it in spite of its flaws.  I like Danny Rand and Colleen Wing and Claire Temple and I like the universe.  At this point I will watch anything that Marvel Studios creates and I am really looking forward to Defenders.

Yeah same here. I can't help shaking the feeling that with some script/story tweaks that Iron Fist would have made a better Defenders origin story. 

Spoiler

Though I get the feeling they're using this to set up for Defenders vs The Hand   

Watching Iron Fist I just keep wondering why the hell doesn't Rose just call Matt or Luke Cage in for backup against The Hand. Or why they didn't use Matt to get Danny's identity back instead of Carrie Moss's "J Money" from Jessica Jones.  It just seems like there's been to many times they could have slowly started bringing the Defenders together & didn't 

• Like 2

TK, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why they didn't make your common sense choices was contractual.  I think these series are being made with a great deal of independence and I bet that Kristen Ritter and Charlie Cox and Mike Colter were never even approached about appearing in this series.

• Like 3

I haven't watched it yet. I will eventually, but I feel like it would've been better with better writers and actually showing what happened to him before he arrived back in New York, instead of a boring "they taking my family business" storyline we've seen done so many times. 

Was underwhelmed by Iron Fist. I was more interested in the development of Colleen Wing then Danny Rand. I was also more interested in figuring out the tie ins to the other shows. I still enjoyed it, because I like the Marvel Universe and looking forward to the Defenders.

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Just finished watching the remaining 9 episodes.  Overall, I'll give it a C.  Pacing was off in parts. Writing could've been a lot a better.  They could've told the story a lot better than they did. Still, despite it being the weakest link; I liked it.

My thoughts are the same.  I liked it.  But I'm a forgiving audience because I'm a fan.  Going into it with low expectations was also key.

The big flaw in the series was the screenwriting.  It was bad and there was no way to overcome it.  Even people who don't normally pay attention to how well written a show is noticed how shoddy the writing was.  And the irritating recycling of certain scenes, lines, and themes was really egregious.  Again, that goes back to the bad writing.  The show was uninspired and just didn't have many original ideas.  Their arcs weren't good enough to fill 13 hours of quality storytelling.  Some of the things that should have been pivotal moments like the gauntlet where he fought the four champions of the Hand were really poorly done.  It wasn't given the proper treatment or set up.  But then they devote what feels like half an hour of screen time to showing the same scene of his plane crashing over the course of the series.

Honestly... Iron Fist is not as compelling a character as Daredevil or Luke Cage were, and he's definitely more problematic.  He's like Moon Knight and Green Arrow in that he's an off brand Batman/Iron Man.  Plus there is this vein of orientalism and dated 1970's kung fu mania cliches in Iron Fist that makes him more difficult to portray well.  He's just tougher to make into a good series, and the show needed a superior show runner and team of writers to do it.  The people they got weren't that good.

I disagree with some of the complaints about the fight scenes though.  There were a lot of martial arts sequences.  And I thought his chi-summoning power was judiciously used, if not particularly well-defined.  His powers got pretty extravagant in the comics.  A lot of respectful references to Hong Kong and other Asian film industry tropes in the series, even if they weren't especially well executed.  The fight with the drunken boxer, the passing through chambers of challenges in a martial arts gauntlet.  The Samurai duel, etc.  Makes me wonder why they didn't go further down this path and actually get someone from Hong Kong to make the show.  Probably would have ended up being better.

Speaking of the gauntlet episode, it sucked.  It was the sixth episode, which is the final one that a lot of the critics reviewing the show saw.  And I think it left an awful taste in their mouths and it's one of the main reasons the reviews were so poor.  RZA is not a director and it was just one more instance of amateurism dragging down the quality of the show.  The actors were totally lost and the performances in that episode were cringeworthy.

Another thought: the show made Ward Meechum the most interesting and well developed character, I felt like by accident.  I thought that was kind of odd.  The actor who played him earned his money, he was good.

One last thing, one of the interesting visual ideas the show had was the sequence where he's talking with a vision of his mentor while fighting and you get a brief moment where you see him operating at Quicksilver-like speed as he is distractedly punching and blocking some enemy.  The show needed more of this in order to establish how superior Danny Rand's fighting ability really was.

• Like 3