Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Defenders looks fun. Mind you, I grew up with the Defenders being Dr. Strange, Valkyrie, the Hulk, and a couple of others. The book was never really popular, but I liked it.

I don't know why they call it defenders.  Kind of weird.  It's really a Heroes for Hire series.  Don't know why they didn't just call it that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

Defenders sounds better and is more marketable. 

They could have left Defenders open for a separate team up though.  They own Dr Strange and Hulk and they're introducing Valkyrie in Thor 3.  I'm pretty sure the right to Namor reverted back to them since they got Hulk back, and they might have Silver Surfer back too.  It's been a while since he showed up in a Fox production.  And there's no way they don't own Nighthawk.  What'll they do now if they want to introduce Namor and/or make a team up involving Strange?

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Probably Universal then.  They sold Hulk and Namor to them in the 90's.  Not sure how they got Hulk back.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Rights-Namor-Movie-Back-Marvel-Mostly-66323.html

Seems like it's super confusing, as the contract for Namor wasn't done the same way the FF, Spider-Man, and X-Men contracts were. 

Team-ups are just awesome, and really liking the Power Man/Iron Fist vibe (which I recall fondly from the Mary Jo Duffy and Kerry Gammill run on that title).

But yeah, growing up The Defenders were (in the Hulkster's own idiom) "Bird Man," "Girl," "Magician," et. al.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Medusa's wig looks awful.  Actually the costuming as a whole looks awful.

Scott Buck is show running this?  Butchering Iron Fist wasn't enough to keep him from getting any more work for Marvel?

Can you elaborate on how it was butchered?  Seriously asking because it seems like everyone has felt the same way and I've heard it got slammed in the reviews, etc.   Was the origin/story messed up or did the actors cast not seem to fit with the comic book?

Cause the wife and I watched it and thought it was really good and enjoyed the story.  Was it as good as Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage?  I'd say no, but I definitely didn't think it was awful or bad.

Now, I will admit that I never read any Luke Cage or Iron Fist comics (well enough to know anything about them, I think I had one or two Power Man and Iron Fist comics as a kid in my collection from grab bags at conventions).  

One thing I do know is I've also read people saying the acting was horrible.  As much as I loved Luke Cage, the female detective's acting in that was bad, imo, probably the worst of any of the four series.  Daredevil casting/acting was great, Jessica Jones seems to be really good too (only into episode four currently), Luke Cage was great acting/casting outside of the one detective I mentioned.  And I thought the chemistry and acting were fine in Iron Fist.

I was saying this the other day, I would have liked to see what the reception would have been if Iron Fist came out first, because of the big shoes it had to fill after we got Daredevil, JJ and LC before it.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Taze, this is what I wrote about it after I watched the series.  It examines some of the issues I found in the series: 

Thanks man, good read.  I was big into comic books growing up, but this wasn't one of them, which is why me and the wife probably liked it better than most people did.  When it comes to details, origin, background, etc. of the superheros for the comics I did read growing up, it really irritates me when they change stuff up, or they don't focus enough on the characters background.

For us going in, it was probably better having no previous knowledge of the character or comic story lines.

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

Iron Fist would've been better if they focused on how Rand became Iron Fist, instead of starting it with him returning to New York. I think his return to New York should've been the last quarter of episodes. 

I agree 100%.  As someone that never read the comic books, his backstory was intriguing and I felt they left us shorthanded.  That was probably my  only complaint about the series.  They did too much talking about what he did to become Iron Fist instead of dedicating more screen time showing him become Iron Fist.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 3

On 5/4/2017 at 10:48 AM, Gamebreaker said:

I read somewhere they do not have movie or tv rights to Namor. I can't remember who does though. 

Was watching 10 moments that meant more than you knew (was kind of neat actually).  One was from Iron Man - when he's meeting with Fury, there's a Shield map in the background with three red dots.  One was in Africa (can't remember the 2nd) and one was in the middle of the ocean.  They presumed it was location of superheroes (and speculated Namor).  

On 5/4/2017 at 0:47 PM, JCB said:

Team-ups are just awesome, and really liking the Power Man/Iron Fist vibe (which I recall fondly from the Mary Jo Duffy and Kerry Gammill run on that title).

But yeah, growing up The Defenders were (in the Hulkster's own idiom) "Bird Man," "Girl," "Magician," et. al.

Not to be sticky, but it was Bird NOSE, Fish Man, Magician and Girl.

~Smash

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

Iron Fist would've been better if they focused on how Rand became Iron Fist, instead of starting it with him returning to New York. I think his return to New York should've been the last quarter of episodes. 

needed a much better actor than Finn Jones to play him.  I still cannot understand how he got that role. He can't act and he can't pull off the fight scenes. What did they see in him?

I think Finn Jones will make a lot more sense when he gets a series with better direction and a better script.  Also, I think he'll thrive on screen with his character's natural foils in Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.  He's going to be the glue man and comedic relief for the group.