Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

31 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

relatively small detail that bugs me, Iron Fist spent over a decade in harsh training conditions yet Finn Jones couldn't be bothered to tone up?

I saw some comment somewhere that stated Finn wanted to be in shape, but didn't want to be overly muscular. Which makes no sense to me. Not only does he not look like someone who's been training in martial arts, all day every day for 15 years, but he doesn't fight like on either. I think the truth is that he just didn't commit as much of his time as others would to the role.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

I saw some comment somewhere that stated Finn wanted to be in shape, but didn't want to be overly muscular. Which makes no sense to me. Not only does he not look like someone who's been training in martial arts, all day every day for 15 years, but he doesn't fight like on either. I think the truth is that he just didn't commit as much of his time as others would to the role.

I read that by not having him in a costume or disguise, that made it harder to utilize the stunt double in the action scenes.  Which might explain why the editing in the fights is so terrible.

They probably woulda been better off having Iron Fist premiere before shooting the Defenders.  You have to assume/hope the Defenders people would have seen the show prior to shooting and saw what the public has seen, and adjusted the handling of Iron Fist accordingly.  

Edited by justice98

When's the last time you saw Spiderman 2 with Dr. Octopus?  Watched it the other day, and remember when it was the best superhero movie to date (remember, this is pre-Dark Knight).  Do ya'll think it's standing the test of time?  I think the recent marvel movies are better, but it doesn't suck by comparison.

On 3/8/2017 at 9:33 AM, StillUnknown said:

Reviews are not being kind to Iron Fist

And for pretty good reason, it's pretty not good....and I wanted to like it but so far Iron Fist is a Mary Sue. On top of that the acting is bad, the fight scenes don't ring true, and the script is borderline pathetic.

I watched Logan a week ago or so on opening weekend, I liked it very much. The fact that it was written by Hugh Jackman made it all the better. It also sets the ball on the tee perfectly for a spin-off series of nex-gen X-Men.

All said, Patrick Stewart stole that move! Hilarious old grandfather ornery codger!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Actually Logan was written by James Mangold, Scott Frank, and Michael Green.  As far as I know Jackman doesn't have any writing credits in his career.

In his interview on Fallon, Jackman talked about waking up in the middle of the night and writing out the story for Logan. So, based on that it's his story which makes it better IMO, the screenplay was probably written by the other guys.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

7 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

In his interview on Fallon, Jackman talked about waking up in the middle of the night and writing out the story for Logan. So, based on that it's his story which makes it better IMO, the screenplay was probably written by the other guys.

He didn't say specifically that he woke up and wrote the story.  That he woke up and recorded a voice memo for a really strong idea for the movie.  That could be anything really like making it violent with an R rating, something he would like to see the character do in the movie, etc.  Also said that happened a couple of years ago (so 2014/15) and initial development started in 2013 with Mangold being hired to write and to use the graphic novel "Old Man Logan" as the basis.  

I'd say it was nothing more than him waking up with some ideas to give the writers as the script was still being written.  Which I would think most passionate actors do all the time, especially when they have portrayed a role for that long.  And I'm sure their input is extremely valued.

Just now, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

He didn't say specifically that he woke up and wrote the story.  That he woke up and recorded a voice memo for a really strong idea for the movie.  That could be anything really like making it violent with an R rating, something he would like to see the character do in the movie, etc.  Also said that happened a couple of years ago (so 2014/15) and initial development started in 2013 with Mangold being hired to write and to use the graphic novel "Old Man Logan" as the basis.  

I'd say it was nothing more than him waking up with some ideas to give the writers as the script was still being written.  Which I would think most passionate actors do all the time, especially when they have portrayed a role for that long.  And I'm sure their input is extremely valued.

You want to minimize his role, not sure why but that's fine. 

8 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

You want to minimize his role, not sure why but that's fine. 

I'm not minimizing anything, I watched the interview clip that you posted.  He did not say he woke up in the middle of the night and wrote out the story for Logan. He said he woke up at 4am and did a voice recording memo because he had a strong idea of what to do with the last film.   Fallen then says you have this amazing script where he jumps in and says that Mangold was the writer/director that it's his film and that he is a genius.

Hue accepted the role in 2014, Mangold was already working on it in 2013.  The script takes inspiration from a graphic novel written by Mark Miller.  I also stated that I'm sure Hue had ideas and input on the script, etc.  and that his ideas/input was valuable to the writers as he is passionate about the role having played that character for so many years.  But he did not write the story or the script.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

When's the last time you saw Spiderman 2 with Dr. Octopus?  Watched it the other day, and remember when it was the best superhero movie to date (remember, this is pre-Dark Knight).  Do ya'll think it's standing the test of time?  I think the recent marvel movies are better, but it doesn't suck by comparison.

I remember being in 8th grade when the first Spider-Man came out. Was spellbound at the attention to detail in capturing the Spidey universe in nearly every aspect. It was pre Dark Knight Trilogy and post superhero bust movies.

I thought X-Men ('00) could've been the first, but they made it a little too real for my taste, and Sabretooth was butchered beyond belief.

I liked Doc Oc, but they made the mistake of dual villains (stealing screentime and backstory from each other), and it got worse in 3, butchering one of the most popular villains in Marvel history in Venom.

I'd love it if they did a trilogy on the Symbiote Saga and gave Venom and Carnage the red carpet treatment, but it appears they went with Vulture, which was a great choice. Guys like Vulture and Scorpion are more human tragedy and make for more compelling acting than someone pure evil.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I remember being in 8th grade when the first Spider-Man came out. Was spellbound at the attention to detail in capturing the Spidey universe in nearly every aspect. It was pre Dark Knight Trilogy and post superhero bust movies.

I thought X-Men ('00) could've been the first, but they made it a little too real for my taste, and Sabretooth was butchered beyond belief.

I liked Doc Oc, but they made the mistake of dual villains (stealing screentime and backstory from each other), and it got worse in 3, butchering one of the most popular villains in Marvel history in Venom.

I'd love it if they did a trilogy on the Symbiote Saga and gave Venom and Carnage the red carpet treatment, but it appears they went with Vulture, which was a great choice. Guys like Vulture and Scorpion are more human tragedy and make for more compelling acting than someone pure evil.

Part of me wants to give Homecoming a chance since Disney know has their hands on Spiderman.  But still feel all these spidey movies are a colossal waste of time until they either A.) make up for what was done to Venom in Spiderman 3, or B.) give us Carnage in all his glory.  Getting tired of spiderboy, where's spiderman?

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The thing I love about MCU doing Vulture is that it goes back to the origin of the Spider-man comic.  He was the first real supervillain that Spider-man faced.  Starting the franchise with him is natural because it should mark the point where Spider-man goes from fighting street criminals to being a super hero.

Spider-man has a really rich roster of villains.  You could make films with entirely new enemies each time for the next 30 years.  And it's got to be tempting to introduce a million of them in each film, which is the trap that Sony kept falling into.  I hope MCU just sticks to Vulture as a big bad, but I see they've also got Shocker cast in the film and I'm a little worried about the dual-villain dynamic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Part of me wants to give Homecoming a chance since Disney know has their hands on Spiderman.  But still feel all these spidey movies are a colossal waste of time until they either A.) make up for what was done to Venom in Spiderman 3, or B.) give us Carnage in all his glory.  Getting tired of spiderboy, where's spiderman?

Yeah i think the problem with that is its just a movie. To me, Spider-Man has more appeal as a teenager than as a grown man. It's how i always envisioned him, and its why i enjoyed his cameo so much in  Civil War.

Maybe if a series were to come along, we could get both. I like this new guy, though

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The thing I love about MCU doing Vulture is that it goes back to the origin of the Spider-man comic.  He was the first real supervillain that Spider-man faced.  Starting the franchise with him is natural because it should mark the point where Spider-man goes from fighting street criminals to being a super hero.

Spider-man has a really rich roster of villains.  You could make films with entirely new enemies each time for the next 30 years.  And it's got to be tempting to introduce a million of them in each film, which is the trap that Sony kept falling into.  I hope MCU just sticks to Vulture as a big bad, but I see they've also got Shocker cast in the film and I'm a little worried about the dual-villain dynamic.

Agreed. I think Shocker could work, in that i always viewed him as more of an ultimate henchman/assassin.

I agree with Vulture though. Always loved him. Overall I'd take X Men and Spider-Mans villains before any other superhero in either Marvel or DC. The villains honestly draw me in even more than the characters.

That, and Spider-Mans knack for transitioning seemlessly into other world's like X-Men, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, etc

• Like 2

Yeah Spider-man is such a great character.  He and Wolverine are kind of the glue men for the Marvel universe.  Spider-man was a real innovation during the Silver Age.  And he kind of naturally evolved from that every-man super hero into being the eyes of the Marvel comic reader as he peered into all of the different universes you mentioned.

I am so glad Marvel Studios is getting to make his movies now.  I think they killed it with the casting Tom Holland.  Spider-man has this wonderful combination of being thoughtful and unassuming and down to Earth while still being very funny and resilient and exciting.  I never felt that Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire pulled that combination off.  Holland is the right man for the role IMO.

• Like 2

Do any of you guys play the MMORPG Marvel Heroes?  It's basically Diablo 3 set in the Marvel universe.  It's free to download and they give you like one or two characters for free.  They make their money by continuously adding characters to the roster and you pay to unlock them.  The developers do a nice job of matching the release of new content with the release of the Marvel TV shows and movies.  For example, two weeks ago they released a bunch of Wolverine and X-23 content to coincide with Logan's release and last week the released some Iron Fist stuff.  I like it.  It's not ground breaking gameplay by any means, but I have fun with it.  It gives me a chance to work out my life long obsession with the Marvel characters.

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

A man named Octavius grows four arms and goes on a rampage of death and destruction in Times Square in broad daylight. Is this a great country or what?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It actually doesn't for me.  I agree it doesnt suck, but when it's on, I don't really ever feel compelled to watch it.

It was good, but pre-Dark Knight, it was never my favorite (not that DK necessarily is, but you get my point).

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah i think the problem with that is its just a movie. To me, Spider-Man has more appeal as a teenager than as a grown man. It's how i always envisioned him, and its why i enjoyed his cameo so much in  Civil War.

Maybe if a series were to come along, we could get both. I like this new guy, though

Tom Holland may get creamed by Carnage without Venom on his side.  He's going to need some meat on them bones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

What was the other villain in SM2? 

I thouht the first two were damn good and loved 2 as my favorite superhero movie until Batman Begins came out. I don't think it holds up as well as it once did but it's still the best of the trilogy and entertaining. I was mad they put Venom in 3 altogether because 3 was set up perfectly to be a Harry/Peter battle. I thought that whole underlying dynamic was the one of the best parts about those first two waiting for it all to come to a head. Somehow 3 managed to butcher that dynamic from the first two movies, venom and Spider-Man all under 2 hours. It was quite impressive. 

• Like 2