Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

IMAX 3D is definitely the way to see that movie. Not sure it cracks my top 3, but I've never been crazy about Doctor Strange as a character.  Thoroughly enjoyed the film though, Cumberbatch was awesome. Plenty of easter eggs to be found as well. For all the controversy over Swinton being cast as the Ancient One, her performance was pretty basic IMO.

• Like 1

I had no knowledge oor understanding of Dr Strange going in but I thought it was pretty good. Cumberbatch delivered as always.

Typical lousy Marvel villain but you know you're getting that going in at this point. The villain was an afterthought anyway, Strange was the soul focus of this movie and he didn't disappoint. 

Almost felt like I was watching some crazy  "20 years later" Harry Potter wizard sequel . It was a lot of fun 

• Like 3

Baron Mordo was one of the kickass villains of Marvel Comics.  It would surprise me a little if they neutered him in the film since they got such a high quality actor to portray him.

But then again, that's exactly what they did to the Mandarin.  Gah, that still bothers me.  Mandarin is one of the top ten best villains in all of Marvel and Iron Man 3 turned him into an idiot.  That was a wasted opportunity.  So was Baron Zemo in Captain America Civil War TBH.

They did right by Loki and Ultron though.  Bet Thanos is going to great too.

Red Skull was great too.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/doctor-strange-opens-to-spellbinding-85m-in-u-s-hits-325m-globally-162343930.html

Doctor Strange opened to an even better-than-expected $85 million from 3,882 theaters at the North American box office, further expanding Marvel Studios and Disney’s superhero universe and putting the movie’s early global total at a magical $325.4 million.

Overseas, it earned another $118.7 million this weekend for a foreign cume of $240.4 million (it began rolling out in select foreign markets more than a week ago.)

Doctor Strange, starring Benedict Cumberbatch as the lesser-known superhero Stephen Strange, gives Disney five of the 10 top openings of 2016 so far, and is another coup for Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige and Disney’s marketing team. Also, it beat the first installments in the Thor, Captain America and Ant-Man franchises.

On November 4, 2016 at 10:29 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Typical lousy Marvel villain but you know you're getting that going in at this point. The villain was an afterthought anyway, Strange was the soul focus of this movie and he didn't disappoint. 

Not all of Marvels villain have been this forgettable but they've had a few.  This was similar to the generic evil elf in Thor 2.  I felt like the story weakened significantly when they remembered it was a comic book movie and had Strange run off into battle.  They hadn't developed the players enough by that point, and hadn't developed the villains at all.  Kaecilius and his crew could have gone unnamed and listed as "villain # whatever" in the credits and this would have essentially been the same.... and they were oozing charisma compared to the disembodied cartoon head of Dormammu.

I did like Dr Strange and the Ancient One (Channeling her previous role as Gabriel in Constantine) which is no surprise.  Ejiofo was as good as I expected and deserved a larger role.  Benedict Wong continues to be woefully under appreciated, he needs to land a major role.

Fun entertaining movie, but that's as far as I'd go.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

We're at least going to get Iron Fist and Punisher this year. 

My bad. I guess I should have said, DD, JJ, and Luke Cage. I loved all those shows. 

I actually had no idea they had already begun production on The Punisher series so soon.

I soooo wish we could also get a Blade/Ghost Rider series too, but that is probably too grandiose

Edited by Mr. Sinister

I hear an MGMT song in that trailer.  Is that villain Vulture?  That's awesome.  Spiderman's first real supervillain, introduced in The Amazing Spider-Man #2.

Holy crap it's Michael Keaton.  Didn't even recognize him in the trailer.  And Donald Glover is going to be in the movie.

Hannibal Burress is in the movie too.  WTF?

• 2 weeks later...

Came in here to post the two trailers I saw, attached to Rouge One.  And note that they're both already posted.  

Really liked the Guardians traiter.  It does exactly what I think a teaser should do:  It conveys the tone of the movie (jokes and action), while telling me absolutely nothing about the actual movie beyond the characters.  

Makes me really want to see it.  (The first one was something I like in movies:  nothing deep at all, just a whole bunch of mindless fun.  Second one looks the same, which is fine by me.)  

(And I really hope Spiderman has a whole bunch of jokes, too.  To me, that was always the best part about Spiderman:  The trash talking.)  

• Like 1