Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

On 12/20/2016 at 10:13 PM, KAOSkins said:

I agree.  Had my fill of angst ridden spidey.  Some **** talking like the the old animated tv show or the comics is in order.

On that note, saw Deadpool with a 30 day free HBO subscription (I mention it in case anyone else could make use of it like me) on Prime and it was wonderful. 

I know it was just a cameo, but the new guy that plays him in Civil War is what I always envisioned him to be in my mind. Sort of geeky, not to nerdy super smart world class **** talker. 

Douchey McDouchenozzle just didn't cut it for me, nor did Gwen Stacy as his flame or whatever the hell they did with the Lizard. Fell asleep while watching it

I didn't even bother with the Jamie Foxx in a hoodie version of Electro. Stop it, man

Leave it to MCU to resurrect the very franchise that started the "Awesome big budget superhero" genre of movies

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Logan, you mean "The Last of Us: Wolverine edition" 

thats actually disappointing because I don't think deadpool fits the tone of that movie at all, at least not what was shown in the trailer 

I agree with this, unless we're talking about a Deadpool that is very different from the one we usually see in the comics and the deadpool movie. But it would be a FOX thing to ruin this movie in that way, so I absolutely believe this is happening. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That looks like it could be really good.  

That's the kind of character development, and grappling with social issues, that I liked about the first X-Men movie, and some (but not all) of the other Marvel movies.  

(I was afraid that it was just another one of the "let's do another Wolverine origin story, so we can retain our movie rights" movies.)  

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I have conditioned myself to ignore trailers for certain franchises. X-Men/Logan fall into that category

i need to be convinced further before I give it a chance

I hear ya.

I've always felt (despite the first standalone Wolverine film) that High Jackman was the one good thing about this entire franchise, and that after Wolverine 1, he wouldn't sign on again unless he thought it would be fire.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I hear ya.

I've always felt (despite the first standalone Wolverine film) that High Jackman was the one good thing about this entire franchise, and that after Wolverine 1, he wouldn't sign on again unless he thought it would be fire.

Really?  You've got a problem with, for example, Patrick Stewart and McKellen?  

Just now, Larry said:

Really?  You've got a problem with, for example, Patrick Stewart and McKellen?  

No, but I never viewed them the same way. I felt that they were more in the periphery.

It's the X-Men themselves and the other lower level villains (like Sabretooth, Mystique, Juggernaut, etc) that make up the meat and potatoes, and out of all of them, no one really stood out like Jackman's Wolverine

• Like 1

Still stoked about FX's Legion..but this premise has good possibilities.

http://www.thewrap.com/matt-nixs-x-men-drama-ordered-to-pilot-at-fox/

Matt Nix’s X-Men Drama Ordered to Pilot at Fox

A new X-Men TV series is one step closer to becoming reality. Fox has ordered to pilot an untitled “Marvel Action-Adventure Series” from Matt Nix.

The new drama pilot’s connection to X-Men comes from its storyline, which follows two ordinary parents who discover their children possess mutant powers. Forced to go on the run from a hostile government, the family joins up with an underground network of mutants who must fight to survive.

Nix previously told reporters that his series would have nods to Fox’s big-screen cinematic universe, and fit within the world set up by the movies.

I have high hopes for an X-Men universe.  Mainly because I basically fell in love with the ambiance of the first X-Men movie.  To me, the room for all kinds of social commentary and things is just so awesome.  

Now, after watching several of Fox's movies, my confidence in their abilities to successfully deliver on what I think of as all the possibilities, . . . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2017 at 6:08 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

MCU was so ingenious  in its casting of the heroes, that it has survived some of the more underwhelming standalone movies.

It's just not sustainable, for every company to try this. It's the reason why I think the DC universe is headed for disaster

DC has done terrible casting and director choices and was late to the party. MCU wisely is moving into the next stage because origin movies are starting to get stale. It was pointed out by many that Dr. Strange felt "routine" but it was the effects that helped it out, and the new Spidey coming out they've said won't focus entirely on origins like the 2 predecessors have. 

DC has done well with the tv universe and should stick to that. Can you imagine if they brought out a Batman tv series that was done well? Flash is great right now, Batman ratings would destroy it if done well (unlike Gotham which is just crap).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

GotG has the same dynamic that Dr Strange had.  Incredible cast, sketchy writing and direction.  We've discussed this before, but usually MCU's formula has been the opposite--lesser known/character actors + top notch writing and direction.  I watched GotG again the other day and I was struck by just how much Chris Pratt carries that film.  It'd be complete crap if not for him.  And Bradley Cooper and Zoey Saldana are great actors with good comedic instincts but the script just gave them nothing to work with.  It's amazing how charismatic and talented Pratt is.  He takes over everything he works on like Robert Downey Jr and it's going to be fun to see them on screen together in Infinity Wars.

I think Dr Strange was poorly written too, and totally reliant on having it's cast of amazing actors backfill in the characterization for their threadbare script.