Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I think A-List is a higher bar than you're giving it credit for.  

I agree, but he does have a point about Samuel L. Just because he does about 50 movies a year doesn't mean he isn't an A-Lister. He's excellent in pretty much everything he does. 

Cheadle is good, but I wouldn't say A-List. Scarlett has yet to carry a movie as the main actor and have it actually be successful. She's popular because she's hot and a decent actress. If she's A-List than so should Alice Eve and Jessica Alba. 

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

I agree, but he does have a point about Samuel L. Just because he does about 50 movies a year doesn't mean he isn't an A-Lister. He's excellent in pretty much everything he does. 

Cheadle is good, but I wouldn't say A-List. Scarlett has yet to carry a movie as the main actor and have it actually be successful. She's popular because she's hot and a decent actress. If she's A-List than so should Alice Eve and Jessica Alba. 

Jessica Alba is not a decent actress and Alice Eve is not nearly as well known as Johansson.  Carrying a blockbuster movie on your own has never been a requirement to be on Hollywood's A-List, especially not actresses who rarely get those kinds of roles.  She's also more than just a decent actress, she is one of the better ones.

Bottom line, she's easily one of the five best known actresses in Hollywood.  She was an A-Lister when Marvel signed her.

MCU has had unusual success finding leading males who are talented and have the potential to be stars but haven't gotten that major break until they worked for Marvel:  Evans, Hemsworth, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Tom Hiddleston, Chadwick Boseman, Charlie Cox, Chris Pratt, Mike Colter, Tom Holland, etc.

But they've used a ton of actors for major roles who were fully established well before they worked for Marvel:

- Norton, Roth, & Tyler in Hulk

- RDJr, Paltrow, Howard, Jackson, and Bridges in Iron Man

- Rourke, Johansson, & Cheadle in Iron Man 2

- Portman and Hopkins in Thor

- Weaving, Tucci, and Jones in Captain America

- Renner and Ruffalo in Avengers

- Pearce and Kingsley in Iron Man 3

- Eccleston in Thor 2

- Redford in Cap 2

- Cooper, Del Toro, Close, and Saldana in GoTG

- Spader in Avengers 2

- Rudd, Lily, and Douglas in Ant Man

Discovering their own leading male talent and signing them long term for cheap and then filling out the rest of their movies with well known and successful actors has been their MO.

Where they've really been amazing is in picking their directors.  Judging by the choices that Fox and DC made, picking a director is walking through a minefield.  But MCU hasn't really missed yet, and few of their choices have ever been obvious ones.  Jon Favreau,  Peyton Reed, James Gunn, the Russo Brothers,  Joe Johnston, Kenneth Brannagh, etc.  You would not have expected any of those guys to do as well as they did going in.  In fact, when Marvel went with better known and more successful directors like Leterrier and Black, their movies did worse.  It's remarkable.

• Like 1

Maybe not standalone, but they could very easily do a Black Widow and Hawkeye spy thriller.  Those two began as lovers in Avengers Volume 1.  Most versions of the Avengers at least have them as partners and former shield agents.  And Renner and Johansson would kill it.  TBH it's a waste of their talent for MCU to not give them a movie.

They might have given up the Hawkeye/Black Widow spy thriller option after doing Winter Soldier though.  If so, that's a missed opportunity and a shame.  Just as it's a shame they killed Quicksilver so fast and a missed opportunity that they didn't include Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne on the original team.  They were/are a much more integral part to the Avengers than Hulk and Black Widow.

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Samuel L is an A Lister. As is Scarlet Johansen. And Don Cheadle.

Id say Sam L is but Cheadle is a minor character that the universe doesn't need anyway and not an A lister. Johansen I guess might have been close as a big up and coming name at the time. it was a great casting decision for her again because they got her before the blew up 

Sounds like I'm griping in that last post, just wanted to say that I love what MCU has done for the Avengers and the Heroes for Hire/Defenders overall.  They've done right by the fans and the properties.  It's truly amazing how good they are at doing this.  Almost every earlier attempt to do live action marvel adaptations ranged from mediocre to ****.

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Id say Sam L is but Cheadle is a minor character that the universe doesn't need anyway and not an A lister. Johansen I guess might have been close as a big up and coming name at the time. it was a great casting decision for her again because they got her before the blew up 

Johansson was big before Iron Man 2.  Working for MCU has helped her star rise, but she really blew up back in 2003 because of Lost in Translation.  Soon after that she became Woody Allen's muse and was one of the starriest young women in Hollywood.

@stevemcqueen1 We're gonna have to agree to disagree on Scarlett. I've never really been impressed with her acting, and yes, I've seen damn near everything she has been in. I also disagree on what an A-lister is. I don't know if there has ever been an exact definition, but I would rank leading a film and being a rock solid bankable hit for the studio to be among the needed requirements.

For example Will Smith is no longer an A-lister despite his popularity, because his movies aren't slam dunks anymore. But at one point in time, despite his average acting skills, everything he did was racking in the money at the box office. Despite Scarlett's hotness, she has never been that much a sure think. All of her leading roles have been failures. Regardless, if they ever did a black widow film I think she would do well and Marvel Studios would pull it off. Too bad the CEO is a sexist pig. 

We can argue the semantics all we want, but the point stands: the actors/actresses Marvel have hired just have a certain appeal to them. DC's actors are just...meh. I mean the guy who is playing Flash, who the hell is that? And I'm not a big fan of Jason Mamoa as Aquaman. Nobody really seems to BE the character the way Downey absolutely nailed Ironman. I think Gal Gadot will nail Wonder Woman but the rest...meh.

Marvel has a good thing going. I would have like Agent Carter on Netflix rather than network TV. The Jessica Jones/Daredevil level of the universe is interesting. Defenders should be decent. I know people joke about Anna Kendrick as Squirrel Girl. But they should def add her somewhere. Grow the base. 

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We can argue the semantics all we want, but the point stands: the actors/actresses Marvel have hired just have a certain appeal to them. DC's actors are just...meh. I mean the guy who is playing Flash, who the hell is that? And I'm not a big fan of Jason Mamoa as Aquaman. Nobody really seems to BE the character the way Downey absolutely nailed Ironman. I think Gal Gadot will nail Wonder Woman but the rest...meh.

I wonder if we'd be saying RDJ WAS Iron Man if there had been 75 years of dudes playing Iron Man, like there are for Batman and Superman.  It's much easier to inhabit a role when you literally are the only person that's done it.  None of these people in Justice League not named Cavill or Affleck have had much of an opportunity to claim these roles.

Edited by justice98

Yea I don't buy that Marvel only grabs A listers. I thi k its more that, at least in terms of MCU, they get people that seem tailor suited for their roles. And many of these people get a boost to their careers from the superhero blockbuster bump.

In RDJ's case it revitalized what was once a promising career, and hasn't looked back.

I think acting (for most people) is all about luck and connections, and right now, there is no bigger connection (other than maybe Game of Thrones/ The Walking Dead)

On 8/8/2016 at 1:31 AM, PCS said:

Nice! I don't want to wait until 2017 though! Looks like Karl Urban is in this as Skurge the Executioner. Hulk's in it too! And the Grandmaster. Isn't he an elder of the universe or something?

Edited by Zguy28

16 hours ago, Zguy28 said:

Nice! I don't want to wait until 2017 though! Looks like Karl Urban is in this as Skurge the Executioner. Hulk's in it too! And the Grandmaster. Isn't he an elder of the universe or something?

Yeah he is.  All I remember about him is that I think he was introduced in an early Avengers comic where Kang teamed up with the Avengers to fight the Squadron Sinister in a tournament that the Grandmaster created that would give Kang the power to revive the woman he loved if he won.  Then instead of using the power for that, Kang does an abrupt heel turn and tries to use it to destroy the Avengers for... reasons.  I loved that story arc.

I went and looked at the IMDB casting page for the movie and I am excited.  Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster sounds fun.  I can see Cate Blanchett being a good Hela too.  Wonder who they cast as the Enchantress?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...