Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

And that is your typical Fox Superhero movie. They mail it in more times than they get it right. And when they get it right, it's more of a broken clock being correct twice a day scenario than them actually understanding what worked and consistently doing it.

My biggest gripe on the X-Men movies, outside of them focusing too much on the characters portrayed by the most famous actor/actress, is the very dull fight scenes that don't resemble anything you would expect from the X-Men.

Very true.

During the movie I actually stopped and thought to myself "there is no reason to make this film".

My gripe, and the same for many others, is that Fox (and Singer too?) has been notorious for changing characters for no reason except to make a dollar. Ever since the first X-Men film, through the recent Fantastic Four, and now Apocalypse. I mean, there are three different "Angels", one of which was essentially an insect...just because they can.

Some of the reviews are saying X-Men:Apocalypse is worse than The Last Stand, which I simply can't fathom being possible. Fox needs to just go to Sony route. Let Marvel Studios take over directional and story control, and you just collect the money for it. Sony is going to benefit greatly from realizing their faults in getting the best out of this license, and Fox needs to do the same. 

Even when Fox gets it right (Deadpool) it's almost by accident because Ryan Reynolds, whoever in Fox who liked the test footage on the internet, and the consumers finally convinced Fox on how to do the character justice. 

It wasn't that bad. It wasn't great, it was average at best. However, since Marvel has progressively raised the bar it makes average movies come off as bigger let downs. Plus, this X-Men movie made the mistake of releasing very shortly after Civil War did. Big mistake because that movie was great and following it raised the bar up even higher.

The characters were fine, but the fight scenes weren't that compelling and the story was just too generic. Plus they changed way too much from the comics. Making Mystique the lead just b/c it's Jennifer Lawrence was a poor choice. Same with changing the origin of how Weapon X gets loose.

IMO, ranking the movies: Days of Future Past, First Class, X-Men 2, X-Men, all the Wolverine movies, then Last Stand which was putrid. Oh, and if we want to count Deadpool then obviously move that to the top of the list. Good point too about Deadpool only getting greenlit because someone was wise enough to leak the test footage and it went viral. 

Edited by elkabong82
  • Like 2

all my hopes for this movie being any good ended when they focused so much on mystique. stars over character is usually the wrong way to go in movies like this

I put all that on Singer and Kinberg. It goes back to them turning the franchise into Wolverine and Friends at the beginning. Then they lucked into Jennifer Lawrence becoming a big star right as First Class came out and they didnt look back.

• Like 1

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/05/x-men-jennifer-lawrence-mystique-spin-off?mbid=social_twitter

There’s been a lot of speculation lately around whether Jennifer Lawrence will continue to play Mystique (a.k.a. Raven), the shape-shifting, side-switching mutant in the X-Men franchise. The series’s latest installment, Apocalypse, hit theaters over Memorial Day weekend—showing audiences just how hard 20th Century Fox is working to keep the Oscar winner on board. A recent interview with director Bryan Singer also confirms that if 20th Century Fox had its way, Lawrence would be the face of the franchise going forward.

Speaking with the Empire podcast, Singer said, “People have asked if I’d do a stand-alone [movie about Mystique]. I think she’s right. . . . She has that view of the world.” Singer’s words echo those of X-Men screenwriter Simon Kinberg, who, while doing press for 2014’s X-Men: Days of Future Past, told Entertainment Weekly, “I love what Jen Lawrence has done with Mystique, and I feel like because she is in such a crowded ensemble, there’s so much more opportunity if you were to follow her solo.”

Singer don't give a ****

he gotta give up them sticks, next man up

• Like 1

Mystique has a cool power but in a fight with other xmen it's pretty worthless.

No need for more of a role for her though I understand the desire to push a star

someone on twitter summed up Singer & Kinberg pretty well. they only see the x-men as people with cool powers, they don't have much of a grasp on the soul of the characters. it shows more and more with every film

A Mystique standalone movie? Based on what storyline? They'd have to make something up because there isn't any mystique focused story that didn't make her look absolutely repulsive.

Let's do a movie based on how she threw infant Nightcrawler over a waterfall to save herself from an angry mob. Or when she raised Rogue to be a villain and forced her to put Ms. Marvel in a coma. Yeah, those are movie worthy storylines to make a movie over.

Edited by Gamebreaker
  • Like 2

Wish Jennifer Lawrence wasn't working for Fox and could be cast as Carol Danvers.

Fox ****ed up by not rebooting X-Men with a new director and whole new cast for First Class. Jennifer Lawrence is a natural for Rogue and it's a much better character than Mystique. I would enjoy a stand alone Rogue movie, or a Rogue and Gambit movie.

But Fox sucks. I want her to get away from the company like Chris Evans did, and end up at MCU. She could play any number of characters. Like I said before, she'd be a great Danvers. She could have also been a great Janet Van Dyne if MCU had gone the route of making the character in her 20's. Really she could have played any white female heroine.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/20/doctor-strange-marvel-minimates-reveal-identity-of-mads-mikkelsens-villain

Details surrounding Marvel's Doctor Strange film have been sparse, but we do know actor Mads Mikkelsen will be playing a villain opposite Benedict Cumberbatch. Marvel hasn't commented on exactly who he'll play, but his role may have just been revealed by a toy's packaging.

Spoiler warning: You won't want to read further if you don't want to know which character Mikkelsen could be playing.

According to Heroic Hollywood, Mikkelsen is playing Kaecilius—a disciple of Baron Mordo in the comics. Mordo will be played by Chiwetel Ejiofor in the film. Previous rumors also cited Kaecilius as Mikkelsen's character, but now a name on Diamond Select Toys' Minimates may have confirmed the role.

The toys will be sold in pairs: Doctor Strange with The Ancient One, Mordo with Kaecilius, Stephen Strange with Christine Palmer, and Wong with a Zealot.

The toys are expected to be revealed to the public very soon. As Heroic Hollywood notes, Mordo's toy companion could be a placeholder used to avoid movie spoilers on a toy. However, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige previously described Mikkelsen's character as "a sorcerer who breaks off into his own sect," which sounds like it could be an adaptation of Kaecilius.

One thing is certain though—Mikkelsen is definitely playing a villain.

I'm stoked, but I ave been anyway. I'm very happy about Cumberbatch but am also a big fan of Mads. I loved NBC's recent Hannibal series---brilliant stuff---too much so for what was it's placement imo (well, that and being so dark).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...