Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

It's just the same old redskins fan narrative. For some reason a large part of this fan base likes to blame literally one single thing as to why we were or will be bad. Then when it is fixed its "ok now we will be good". Our fanbase and even the organization likes to play the blame game and take no accountability.

The whole organization is bad. It is nothing new for a HC to hire a coach he is familiar with, and it is nothing new for an LB coach to become a DC, and it would be nothing new if a guy who had little success, learned from his experiences and got better. (i.e. Randy Wittman).

I am not going to judge a guy based solely off a poor showing his first time as a DC on a team that was atrocious talent wise.

So you can act like this is the sole reason our defensive may be bad next season. Or you know see what players we acquire in the offseason, and see how this guy uses what he has. 

I understand what you are saying and to be honest the dark days of Detroit was like 6 years ago. Maybe he has had time to develop his defensive scheme into something that is really good and he did blow Jay and Bruce away with his new ideas.

The thing is though, given the choice of a failed DC (and 0-16 is an epic fail) hoping he has improved or an already proven DC, I think that most reasonable people would chose the later.

I'm an optimist and am ready to give the guy a chance to prove himself, but it's very disappointing never the less, considering the alternatives.

If Wade Phillips had been hired people would have screamed "Retread!"......

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Give the guy a chance.  

Gonna have to vehemently disagree with that.  Wade would've been pretty embraced by the fanbase.

Damned if you do something like this, damned if you don't make a move like Wade/Schwartz/not-this-guy.

Bull****.  I would've been extremely happy if Wade was hired.

Oh I'm sure many would have been happy ( me being one of them), but a good majority of the press and fans would have said "typical hire, retread, good ol' boy network, etc, etc....."

He's the only candidate that would actually work for a noob head coach best man for the job!

This.

It's not like Gruden showed anything this year that would inspire any self-respecting coordinator to join his staff.

More likely, most up-and-comers are trying to avoid the $*^# show that he put on display all season. I probably sound like an old man here, but much of what I've seen from this head coach points to either shortage of competence / experience or straight up immaturity.

To be clear, I am not saying I could do better.

By the same token (sorry, cliche fest), I am not getting paid $4M a year to be an NFL head coach.

I wonder if Barry's just a cheap hire.  Elevate a position coach to DC, don't pay him much.  Wade being a former head coach with a track record of success as a DC probably costs a fortune, in comparison. 

Who cares?! There's no salary cap for coaches and Snyder can afford pretty much any salary.

I'm the opposite Dog.

I'd be made up with him. It just adds another nail to Grudens coffin and embarress's those that backed him for the sake of 'persecution.'

2015 for me is all about watching Mac set out with the rebuild. And looking forward to a complete Coaching clear out of the dead brains this time next year. I can HAPPILY take another woeful year for that.

Lot of long term positives in this move.

Hail.

I mean, I'd like to pretend that we actually tried to bring in someone who, on their face, was an improvement to Haslett.  It would at least give me some hope.  Raheem...eh...maybe he's not an "improvement" but at least we could pretend that with his energy, attacking philosophy, and player relations that he'd go to a 1-gap attacking defense that got the players excited to go onto the field week to week.

Though neither Joe Barry nor Raheem Morris would do anything to keep the Jay train going beyond a poor 2015, so a blowup is still scheduled barring major record changes.

I'm just hoping that we pull a Scot, and that if we have a poor year that a very nice juicy candidate is sitting right there for us.

Obviously not the guy anyone wanted. If he decides to run a 4-3 I'll be interested a little bit, but in the end as everyone keeps saying, they must be wanting to clean house in 2016. Something I haven't seen anyone bring up is that doing so would probably mean a new QB as well. We have a very long way to go if that is actually the plan here.

If Wade Phillips had been hired people would have screamed "Retread!"......

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Give the guy a chance.  

Agree that there are always going to be unhappy people.  But disagree with this general tone.  You had plenty of proven guys that are out there.  Arguably only two of them have a track record question mark and those are:  Barry and R. Morris.  Those IMO are the only two where I'd expect an overwhelming negative reaction.  And again this isn't the Seattle front office we are trusting.  It's trust Jay and Bruce -- have they earned the benefit of the doubt?  Same guys who brought us Haslett?   Barry already has the same built excuse as Haz -- yeah he wasn't in demand to run other teams defenses -- yeah his defenses were ranked poorly -- but you know what he talked a good game in the interview and he lacked talented players in the past.  

No, I don't think the board would have erupted negatively if we hired Schwartz or Fangio or Donatell or heck even Phillips all of whom have had success at their previous jobs.  I think its a tough sell with THIS specific front office when you got a situation where its like yeah Jim Schwartz had a top 5 defense in Buffalo or Phillips had had top defenses 6 out of the last 7 years or whatever it was -- and yeah Barry's defenses were dead last and yeah maybe only the Redskins were in pursuit of him -- but trust us Fangio or Schwartz or whomever is no Joe Barry.  Barry is better than all those guys.  And yeah super smart Bruce and Jay get this and the rest of the league is behind the curve.   Maybe.  But their track record IMO warrants cynicism. 

So let me take this in...... Our new hire as DC's most notable career achievement is being the DC for a 0-16 team. He also was in Tampa Bay w/ Allen (Which is huge), and he's never led a 3-4 defense just like Hazlett.

Someone pls for the love of God pls explain to me why i shouldn't just root for the **** Tampa Bay Bucs??!! Geez I'm starting to think Jay only got the job cause Jon passed. Is there possibly a Tampa 2 in our future? Are we gonna make a huge F/A splash by signing Brooks, Ronde Barber, and i can't even think of the big mouth DT cause I'm so pissed. Of all the franchises to emulate, we've chosen the Tampa Bay Bucs. SMDH in utter disgust.....

Lol what a joke if true. Can't wait for the Bruce presser. He certainly can't use the words "successful" or "winner" in describing this guy.

I can already tell you what his canned responses will be.

"We were looking for someone who has that hunger and energy needed for the position and Barry has it."

"Joe's philosophy on defense is an excellent fit for what we're trying to do."

"We were very impressed during the process with Joe's attention to detail.  He is going to bring a lot to the table."

Lol what a joke if true. Can't wait for the Bruce presser. He certainly can't use the words "successful" or "winner" in describing this guy.

laughed so hard reading this....    That's probably the whole holdup with this signing, Bruce is trying to find words... any words to use in front of the mic.

It was never under his control. The head coach was a defensive coach. He ran the defense. Barry was a name-only defensive coordinator. Like McVay is a name-only offensive coordinator for us.

I had wondered about this, especially when thinking about all the comments in the media and among Cowboys fans when they hired Marinelli to the defensive staff.

This board is a trip.

Look at his starters in 07 & 08.  Yeah, he must be a ****ty coach for not being able to lead the league with this group.   :rolleyes:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2007_roster.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2008_roster.htm

I don't think anyone is doubting that Lions team was terribly awful, but with that on his resume that's the guy you hire? Over hiring Wade and not even calling up Jim Schwartz for an interview after he became a free agent coach? Really? Had they done either of those things that would have at least told fans they were trying to get better. This just seems to apparently be what everyone is saying it is: giving Jay enough rope to hang himself and bring in an entirely new coaching staff in 2016. Which is stupid, because then you should just fire Jay now and get it over with. Whatever.

There is of course the possibility that Barry has learned a lot since being the Lions DC and actually does a decent job. I hope so because like any normal fan I want us to do well. To be perfectly honest, none of us will know how good this guy is as our DC until Week 1.

This board is a trip.

Look at his starters in 07 & 08.  Yeah, he must be a ****ty coach for not being able to lead the league with this group.   :rolleyes:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2007_roster.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2008_roster.htm

It looks a little worse than Dallas' roster does right now.  But Marinelli was somehow able to turn that defense into average.  Too bad we have the son in law, but not the real thing.

In the spirit of my belief a decision is good or bad, right or wrong, when it is made not with how it turns out, I'll saying hiring Barry is absolutely idiotic and bad.   He's underqualified in comparison to other people available and though he only nominally held the title in the past, it is not a resume boost the team he had the misfortune to coach.

Now, he is young and full of energy.   We had another mistake, at the moment of hire, many years ago with another coach off the Chargers.   Joe Gibbs.   It was a bad decision to hire someone that unqualified at the time.   However, it worked out beautifully and we're glad for it.   Barry, with hope, brings energy, passion and innovation to a team that needs it and maybe becomes a star and we'll forget how questionable it was to hire him in the first place.

Absolutely awful hire if it turns out to be true. It really makes me question if the franchise is going to change or if they just made a move like the McCloughan hire to quell the fans wrath. Mark my words he will NOT turn out to be a diamond in the rough. What i it with constantly hiring Tampa connections and friends instead of proven, solid guys? Wade Phillips has turned around countless hopeless defenses most recently the Texans who had an awful defense for a decade. How sad is it that if the fans controlled the hire we would do a better job?

Archived