Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

My god, we are going to have the #1 pick in the 2016 draft.

Actually, this offseason is the first where they are going to average your regular season and offseason...since we were so close it only took a nose dive in the offseason to bump us to the #1 draft pick of 2015.

Hooray!

Like many, I'm hoping that this hire was made because Barry is a motivator and has learned a lot in SD over the last several years. I go to a few SD games and my in-laws are all die-hard Chargers fans, so I've seen a lot of games too. The players definitely show up on Sundays, but the complaint was always the secondary's poor coverage schemes and tackling. Hence 29th in Pass Def in 2014.

Actually you got my point backwards.

Cowboys fans were NOT complaining...they and the media loved the Marinelli hire, and then subsequent promotion to DC.

However, the media and Dallas fans also chalked up the bad Lions defenses to Marinelli, not Barry...his Chicago stint was interpreted as Marinelli is a very good DC when he's ONLY a DC, and isn't/wasn't prepared to run the entire show as head coach. There really wasn't any mention of Marinelli being saddled with a bad DC while coach of the Lions...the prevailing thought when he joined the Cowboys was that he controlled the Lions defense.

OK, got it, sorry I didn't follow the Cowboys reaction to Marinelli.  I'd gather Cowboy fans wouldn't be that familiar with Barry and generally when you hire a defensive coordinator as a head coach like Rex Ryan that's who most fans identify with the unit.

What Keim said today in Barry's defense was the FO pushed the Lions staff to run a cover 2 scheme that the staff wasn't wild about or had the talent to perform.   Schefter confirmed we were the only team interested.  Keim said in his view hiring Barry indicates that hiring the top D coordinator on the market wasn't their goal -- tough words for a reporter who rarely is very opinionated.  Keim didn't have a beef with the hire, but just gave the sense its not seen around the league as a home run hire.  I guess the story will be told one way or another this season.

Keim also suggested that Barry likely brings back R. Morris so if the FO is still into Morris -- they can have their cake and eat it too.  

Sounds like my daughter who is a huge fan thanks to her dad, all she really knows is Snyder owning the team. My condolences go out to both of you!

Oh no, don't say that! :)

My daughter just turned 5 and doesn't really know winning from losing, so she sings hail to the Redskins for about 6 hours every Sunday, unless we are playing the cowboys that week (3 hours) or it's a bye week (approx. 1.31374 hours). 

I've already considered my generation a lost cause, I can only hope for her sake they will start doing better at some point so she can sing and actually have it be for a TD instead of annoying her cowboy fan uncle.

I think I get it now ... they're pulling the old "George Costanza" routine. It's brilliant! "DO THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU NORMALLY DO" because what you normally do fails epically every time. 

Find a guy with an incredible resume, maybe even a SB victory or two, hire him, watch him suck here. That's been the pattern in the past. 

NOW ... hire a dude no one's ever heard of with an 0-16 record on his resume and watch him shock the world. I say again ... BRILLIANT! These guys know what they're doing. Clearly. 

Serenity Now!

Well, I don't think anything officially was released by the Washington Redskins but started with Ian Rapoport and other sources began to take it as gospel.

Who knows if the organization was behind it to test waters, but Chris Russell said he spoke to someone around 9:40 AM close to the situation that said they never actually signed Barry.

Then, also Vic Fangio was said to leave San Fran if either he or Shanahan wasn't hired as HC, and it appears that Adam Gase might become the HC, so Vic may either try to find an vacant HC job or another DC job.

Who knows if he would want to come here but maybe Barry is our fall back while we pursue an interview?

Archived