Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

I get the feeling Snyder throws crap against the wall to see what sticks and picks what does. It would be nice if he they would just pick one that has the best record.....and I guess they have to want to come work for DS as well. 

You'd be flatly wrong.   If this is leaked, it's leaked by Barry to raise the chances of getting the job and running others off.   Further, in this case, though Snyder clearly talked to the candidates, he doesn't really pick them in any way.  That's the coach.

This isn't official yet right? My gut says this is Jim Fassell all over again. They leak the news to see how we feel, then will back track and hire someone else because the nation thinks this is awful.

This Joe Barry is a turd, you can't shine up a turd to me to become anything but  a turd. He is a horrible choice, worse then Hasslet but maybe that's why they want to hire him. Bring in some turd that only lasts one season so that when they blow this up next year they don't burn a bridge with anyone respectable.

Fassel was leaked by Fassel.   That ain't a guess.

You'd be flatly wrong.   If this is leaked, it's leaked by Barry to raise the chances of getting the job and running others off.   Further, in this case, though Snyder clearly talked to the candidates, he doesn't really pick them in any way.  That's the coach.

Fassel was leaked by Fassel.   That ain't a guess.

So Barry leaked this nonsense then is what your alluding to which would then leave the only logical explanation that they expect to blow this thing up next season and want someone to hold the job this year that they don't mind firing later. He's a lame duck Defensive Coordinator and no one will care if he's canned. They are tanking

Please tell me you're digging deep to be optimistic.  Gibbs' resume included the #2 and #4 offense in the NFL immediately preceding him being hired by the Redskins.  What on Barry's resume is even somewhat similar to that?   

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that these guys be responsible for hiring the best guy available.  I don't care if he knocks you off your feet in the interview...you still have to talk about what he's done...and why he hasn't been a coordinator since those terrible Lions teams. 

I wasn't being optimistic whatsoever.   Don Coryell was the head coach and reason that team was awesome on offense.   He brought that philosophy here and was humble enough to throw it away when it wasn't working and won by adapting, so Gibbs was outstanding.   But to suggest he was a proven commodity when hired here is foolish and untrue.   He was little known and not directly responsible at all for the success of that Chargers offense with that system, designed and implemented by AIR Coryell.   As the legit play caller in Tampa in 1978 I believe his offense was 26th or something.   

Gibbs was a reach and a relative unknown.   Better names and even more proven coordinators were available.   We got lucky he adapted and won and we're thrilled for it.   I am not a Barry hire supporter, but, if he puts a great defense out there, I won't care that we made a mistake in the actual hiring, should that occur.

So Barry leaked this nonsense then is what your alluding to which would then leave the only logical explanation that they expect to blow this thing up next season and want someone to hold the job this year that they don't mind firing later. He's a lame duck Defensive Coordinator and no one will care if he's canned. They are tanking

That is utter nonsense.   I don't know that Barry will be hired, but presuming he is, I won't find it particularly appealing.   But to suggest the coach who hired him would do so knowing he had one year remaining here is so moronic as to be frightening in the conception.   If Gruden hires Barry it's because he thinks he's the best hire.   It's not to get him fired.   

The organization itself is not "tanking" either.   First, they aren't responsible for who Gruden picks to coach on Gruden's staff.    And they actually probably think they will win.   Watch what they do in free agency for confirmation of that.   Barry is not a hire any of us would support.   But if Gruden makes that hire, it's because he thinks it will help him and we can all be left to hope he is correct.

Chris Russell still adamant Barry hasn't been offered the job

Says he thinks they're holding out for Fangio who is likely to be available by tonight/tomorrow. 

Please God. 

Frankly, Fangio is the least attractive of the "proven" options I see out there.

I'd prefer Schwartz immensely as I have a man-crush on the whole Tennessee coaching tree starting with Fisher and Williams and every other one of those guys.   I'd prefer Phillips as he has head coaching experience and can be a sage guy to lean on for Gruden.   Fangio is kind of underwhelming to me.   The Niners had good defenses, but they had EXCELLENT talent.   They were, like Seattle, very simple in design.   If he goes simple here, we will get routed by 80 a game.

My guess is that someone close to Raheem spoke with him and Raheem had mentioned he thought it was between him and Barry.  Then maybe Raheem heard he was not a finalist and states as such so the 'someone close' went with it and said they were close to hiring Barry.

People get way too worked up over 'insider leaks' - the thing is that any opinion by anyone on social media is now considered to be 'insider'

That is utter nonsense.   I don't know that Barry will be hired, but presuming he is, I won't find it particularly appealing.   But to suggest the coach who hired him would do so knowing he had one year remaining here is so moronic as to be frightening in the conception.   If Gruden hires Barry it's because he thinks he's the best hire.   It's not to get him fired.   

The organization itself is not "tanking" either.   First, they aren't responsible for who Gruden picks to coach on Gruden's staff.    And they actually probably think they will win.   Watch what they do in free agency for confirmation of that.   Barry is not a hire any of us would support.   But if Gruden makes that hire, it's because he thinks it will help him and we can all be left to hope he is correct.

Exactly - how many people here go to work everyday looking at a project and saying 'How can I mess this up so bad that I get fired and it kills my resume?'

You mean retweets? Unsubstantiated rumors? Misleading headlines to get enough clicks? ......me too

Speaking for myself only: All of that, plus the journalist inserting himself into the story, into the process, trying to be a celebrity etc.

I miss the days when writers covering the team stayed in the background and reported. Unless you were heavily into sports you would not even recognize them if you saw them. Some fat or ugly guy with a bad suit and cheap clip on tie, driving a 20 year old car and chomping on a cigar.

If you talked to them they actually had interesting stories to tell, and didn't just re-hash rumors or spend all their time head hung down thumbing their PDA, distracted posting selfies and tweeting.

Now they all want to be stars, and care more about attracting attention and followers than they do about getting the ACTUAL story, and getting it RIGHT.

Yeah, I know... Old man rant... Younger people care as much about that as I cared for the fact that my grandfather walked 3 miles to school each morning.

Exactly - how many people here go to work everyday looking at a project and saying 'How can I mess this up so bad that I get fired and it kills my resume?'

There are a lot of people who do the bare minimum to get a paycheck.  I'm sure Gruden figures he can get a job as a coordinator somewhere after getting fired from here.

This isn't official yet right? My gut says this is Jim Fassell all over again. They leak the news to see how we feel, then will back track and hire someone else because the nation thinks this is awful.

This Joe Barry is a turd, you can't shine up a turd to me to become anything but  a turd. He is a horrible choice, worse then Hasslet but maybe that's why they want to hire him. Bring in some turd that only lasts one season so that when they blow this up next year they don't burn a bridge with anyone respectable.

Except in true Redskins fashion he will get a 4yr deal and fired after 1. lol

If the Rotoworld Headline is accurate, this has that old familiar feeling of another kick in the gut. It's like some of the drafts where you feel like the Redskins drafted unknown players when better, well-known players were there for the taking. One can hope that it turns out well, but it looks like another boneheaded move by the FO.

There are a lot of people who do the bare minimum to get a paycheck.  I'm sure Gruden figures he can get a job as a coordinator somewhere after getting fired from here.

Doubtless true.   Equally doubtless is the fact he'd prefer to be the head coach.

Doubtless true.   Equally doubtless is the fact he'd prefer to be the head coach.

Didn't look like he had much fun being the head coach last year.  Why be a head coach here when you can get fired, get your salary from here, AND earn an extra paycheck by working as a coordinator some place else.

Didn't look like he had much fun being the head coach last year.  Why be a head coach here when you can get fired, get your salary from here, AND earn an extra paycheck by working as a coordinator some place else.

I pray you are kidding.

But, I suspect you are deadly serious.

I am saddened more than I can express.

My guess is that someone close to Raheem spoke with him and Raheem had mentioned he thought it was between him and Barry.  Then maybe Raheem heard he was not a finalist and states as such so the 'someone close' went with it and said they were close to hiring Barry.

People get way too worked up over 'insider leaks' - the thing is that any opinion by anyone on social media is now considered to be 'insider'

"insider leaks" on social media though aren't really opinions. i think of them more as rumors. Cause a tweet by someone that says "according to my source, so and so to sign with such and such team" isnt really stating an opinion. Just how i see it. 

And i think yeah its true that us fans do tend to get too worked up over rumors. idk why.

So you'd be fine losing millions down the road and being the head guy and really making a name for yourself to be someone with minimal power?

No one would make it to the college or nfl by doing what you mentioned above. 

"insider leaks" on social media though aren't really opinions. i think of them more as rumors. Cause a tweet by someone that says "according to my source, so and so to sign with such and such team" isnt really stating an opinion. Just how i see it. 

And i think yeah its true that us fans do tend to get too worked up over rumors. idk why.

I'm not talking specifically about the leaks being opinions, just that you see a lot of tweets from randoms in the Twitter thread and people take it as insider information.

Seems like hope springs eternal in the hearts of fools.

No.   There is no hope whatsoever in the knowledge a head coach would always rather be a head coach and be a head coach again if he fails the first time and that is not possible to do by throwing an opportunity away.   

Ignorance is blissful though, I hear.

I'm underwhelmed by the hire. If there's on good thing with it, it'll shut up all the people who wanted to claim the process was all a sham to hire Raheem Morris. But that doesn't mean Barry is any good either. His resume is not encouraging. If I wanted to try and find a silver ling, it's that he's still only 44. He coached a terrible Lions team. And Rod Marinelli was the head coach (a defensive guy), so I'm not even sure how much responsibility he had. I know the team hopes they found the next LeBeau or Phillips or even Vic Fangio. We'll see I guess.

Archived