Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

Someone on the Redskins staff ... organizationally above the DC ... needs to make a public statement that specifically addresses in detail why they think that this is a good idea and especially why they think a DC whos D was particularly crappy in Detroit and who's team didn't win a single game one season can deliver anything better than that here.

or ... I'll just go back to my initial reaction ...

"What?"

I wonder if they was ready to announce the Joe Barry hire, but the 49ers promote Jim Tomsula thus bypassing Vic Fangio. That one of the clubs his currently speaking too is the Redskins? Couldn't hurt that when Haslett was thrown overboard Fangio was the number 1 target until being denied by San Fran.

Can only live in hope!

Someone on the Redskins staff ... organizationally above the DC ... needs to make a public statement that specifically addresses in detail why they think that this is a good idea and especially why they think a DC whos D was particularly crappy in Detroit and who's team didn't win a single game one season can deliver anything better than that here.

or ... I'll just go back to my initial reaction ...

"What?"

hasnt been officially reported yet. so technically hes not our DC at the moment.

Has anyone besides Ian reported this hire?

Has anyone confirmed what Ian reported?

There has been a conspicuous silence since this came out. Our own TK pre-announced it and then we saw Ian's tweet (who knows maybe he lifted it from TK). Not a lot since and nothing from the Redskins except recently a few denials from some beat reporters.

I think it's likely the Redskins were getting set to hire Barry but held when things in SF and Denver started up in hopes they might get a shot at Fangio. He was the first coach the sought permission to interview. I m hoping Redskins One is on its way to get Vic right now. Pure speculation.

Edit: Or wishful thinking. Take your pick.

What makes you think that the rest of the NFL is different than this?

Nothing. I was just stating that I prefer the players from the Jetskins time than the coaches from the Bucskins time. I know that decision makers in the NFL frequently hire people they have worked with before, similar to almost every professional setting.

I think it's likely the Redskins were getting set to hire Barry but held when things in SF and Denver started up in hopes they might get a shot at Fangio. He was the first coach the sought permission to interview. I m hoping Redskins One is on its way to get Vic right now. Pure speculation.

This is actually a logical assumption.  If TK pre-announced it he had to have some knowledge.  I am sure Vic was near the top of their list and when it became apparent, as you point out, he would be available, they pulled the plug.

If true, or more specifically if Barry was going to be the hire and the Niners saved us, this is just plain sad.  I was hoping this was just a beat reporter pulling the trigger prematurely.  Instead of Grudes bringing in a guy that has no business being anything other than a position coach.

Edit:  To add, if true that they were going to actually hire Barry, Grudes just went down a notch in my book so to speak.  A loss of respect.

So Fangio said he would not stay in San Fran if he or Shanahan were not hired as head coach. Mike was just fired by us so what makes anyone think Fangio would come here?

1) McCloughan and Fangio are already on the same page for the kind of players he wants for his defense.  They came onto an even worse team and made them powerhouses together.  No reason they couldn't do it again.

2) Fangio would be a leading candidate for the HC position if Gruden was canned

3) If he turns around the Redskins, it would essentially solidify his legacy of being one of the GOAT defensive coordinators

4) Not really hard to show improvement succeeding a terrible DC like Haslett.  If he does half-decent and continuous improvement, it would solidify his job security for a while.  

5) We're rich ****

I think we'd get more than just a DC with Fangio. Say he signs on here and the defense improves, (don't see how that doesn't happen) and the offense is ineffective again.

You fire Gruden and you promote Fangio to head coach. I actually like the idea of having a Head Coach with a defensive background. We haven't had one of those in ages.

Archived