Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

Ryan Kerrigan, Keenan Robinson, Bashaud Breeland, and Hall back healthy, all in a Fangio-led defense. Drool.

Trent Murphy and Amerson and Baker all get their value elevated too. Our personnel on defense actually isn't too shabby with the right guy at DC. But a mediocre DC isn't going to elevate these guys, he'd need to inherit an elite unit. Barry would just continue the low 20s ranked defense we've all come to be disappointed in.

that time of year again when we begin to project the same ole' AVERAGE Redskins players into next years PRO BOWL!

"Barry sucks". Thanks for the great written report on his coaching style and motivational speeches.

His resume looks like this the only time he ever held the Defensive Coordinator position

2007 - Lions Allowed 444 points (27.8/g), 32nd in the league

2008 - Lions Allowed 517 points (32.3/g), 32nd in the league

Wiki shares this little nugget about the 2007 Defense

The 422 pass completions that Detroit surrendered in 2007 is an NFL record. The 70.1% completion percentage against the Lions defense was the worst in league history until it was broken by the Colts in 2011

And this one about the 2008 season

The Lions gave up 517 points during the season, coming within 16 of matching the 1981 Colts' record of 533 points allowed. The Lions' 32.31 points per game allowed on defense is the third worst of any NFL team since the 60's, bettering only the 1966 Giants (35.79 PPG) and the aforementioned 1981 Colts (33.31 PPG)

In his most recent position in San Diego over the last four seasons as a LB coach he has had 0 Probowlers between them

Why would anyone who roots for this team feel good about this move? Its horrible, and hopefully just a bad joke

Can someone tell me why Schwartz didn't make the cut? Certainly it's not because Dan can't afford someone for once. Did Tonya put him on an allowance and cut up his credit cards?

I missed that somehow in the 40-leven pages of posts on where Redskins One is at any given moment.  You can point me to a post number if you want. I'm out of the loop the last few days. Only heard about Barry tonight and I blew a gasket!

I'm wondering if there is a jerk factor with Schwartz that might have been a turn off to some on the FO/staff/team.  Personally I think they need someone on defense that has an edge about him and can be Jay's enforcer.  Instead it seems Jay enjoys the buddy system.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/27/ex-lion-lawrence-jackson-josh-sitton-is-right-about-jim-schwartz/

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/6/25/3116486/nfl-top-10-biggest-jerks-jim-schwartz

Bad news...it was NOT Redskins One which picked up Vic Fangio in San Francisco last night...apparently he accidentally boarded Malaysia One Airlines. At this time the aircraft has disappeared along with Fangio. To make matters worse, when Redskins One finally did arrive, due to the confusion it accidentally picked up former Democratic Congressman from California Vic Fazio.

However, it has been learned through Dianna Russini at NBC in Washington that former Congressman Fazio is being considered for the Redskins D.C. position due to the fact that he once stopped at a Denny's Restaurant in Tampa Bay and used their restroom.

Bad news...it was NOT Redskins One which picked up Vic Fangio in San Francisco last night...apparently he accidentally boarded Malaysia One Airlines. At this time the aircraft has disappeared along with Fangio. To make matters worse, when Redskins One finally did arrive, due to the confusion it accidentally picked up former Democratic Congressman from California Vic Fazio.

However, it has been learned through Dianna Russini at NBC in Washington that former Congressman Fazio is being considered for the Redskins D.C. position due to the fact that he once stopped at a Denny's Restaurant in Tampa Bay and used their restroom.

osssxt.gif

that time of year again when we begin to project the same ole' AVERAGE Redskins players into next years PRO BOWL!

Well, the other three (especially Hall with his twice torn achilles) aren't likely to be pro-bowlers (though Robinson and Breeland could help to form a starting core), but Kerrigan played very well last year.  He got a couple All-Pro votes and his 13.5 sacks would have gotten a lot more attention if 1. our team didn't stink, and 2. so many other players hadn't had extraordinary years.  13.5 sacks is usually enough to get you high on the Pro-Bowl voting list.

Disclaimer: The following is a conspiracy theory and unlikely to be true, but interesting to think about if they wind up going with Barry.

Jay and Bruce's old pal Jim Haslett was let go in about the most face-saving way possible (the old mutual-decision ruse). Now, they don't want their boy Haslett to look bad either. If someone else comes in and the defense is dramatically improved right away, Haslett looks like what we all know he is, a guy who makes defenses worse as the DC.

How can Jay (and to a lesser extent Bruce, assuming this is really Jay's call) help his buddy out? Hire one of, if not the, only guy in the NFL who might be a worse defensive coordinator than Jim Haslett. If Jay has been told that he will be given the time to play out his contract and rebuild the team, then he might not be too worried about whether the defense is still poor next year. So, Jay chooses Barry to replace Haslett. The defense actually gets worse under Barry (which could also take the attention from Jay & the offense if they don't make huge strides), and the final narrative at the end of next season is that Jim Haslett was really doing a hell of a job getting these guys to even play at the level they did, Joe Barry needs to be fired, and whatever happens with the offense takes a backseat. It helps their old pal Haslett, takes some heat off of Gruden & the musical chair QB rotation (assuming the narative doesn't flip on Gruden that he shouldn't have hired Barry), and sets them up to go after a better defensive coordinator in 2016 when SM has presumably stocked the cupboards a little bit.

I realize this is a crackpot theory, but this is about the only coherent (even if it's imprudent) thought process that leads you to hiring Barry. Otherwise, my next guess is they just drew defensive position coaches names out of a hat or Jay's not getting to make the decision after all--and if that's the case Jay should take the Barry hire as a pre-emptive pink slip at the end of the season.

This kind of makes me think Jay was trying his best to get fired at the end of the season. When he didn't he decided to find a guy worse then Haslett as a big middle finger to Dan. Kind of hope Scott will step in and tell Jay to go sit in the corner while the grownups work.

The more I read about it, it looks like what was told unofficially was:

"Right now, we liked Joe Barry. We don't have anyone leftto interview. But, considering the situation in Sf, Denver or BuBuffalo we decided to wait if we can interview other guys that might suit us better. "

Out of this reporters only care about the first part of it.

So what's happening today? Are we interviewing anyone? My guess is they'll wait for the noise to die down and for Vic Fangio and Schwarz to get hired elsewhere and then they'll make it official that they did hire Barry afterall..

Disclaimer: The following is a conspiracy theory and unlikely to be true, but interesting to think about if they wind up going with Barry.

Jay and Bruce's old pal Jim Haslett was let go in about the most face-saving way possible (the old mutual-decision ruse). Now, they don't want their boy Haslett to look bad either. If someone else comes in and the defense is dramatically improved right away, Haslett looks like what we all know he is, a guy who makes defenses worse as the DC. .......

You know, given the way things operate with these guys, as crackpot as it sounds I could also believe it. 

So what's happening today? Are we interviewing anyone? My guess is they'll wait for the noise to die down and for Vic Fangio and Schwarz to get hired elsewhere and then they'll make it official that they did hire Barry afterall..

I think the Schwartz, Donatell, & Fangio talk heats up today. 

http://realredskins.com/2015/01/15/is-the-redskins-defensive-coordinator-search-in-overtime/

Is the Redskins’ search for a defensive coordinator going into overtime? There was a report Wednesday morning that they had decided to hire Chargers linebackers coach Joe Barry for the job. After the report was met with a very negative reaction by many Redskins fans, it appeared that the process stopped. Local reporters said that no decision had been made.

I'm still flabbergasted that a thread was opened for a guy we didn't even hire and we're now 13 pages in arguing over a guy who, again, isn't even hired.

And then a 2nd thread was opened apologizing to the guy who, for the third time, isn't even hired.

Only on ES.

Not to mention being upset over a hiring process that apparently never hired anyone yet lol...

I don't know whether to be happy they have backed off or sad because it means they are listening a bit too much to the fans... 

How do you know they are listening to fans? Correlation does not equal causation as we like to say in the Tailgate forum. :) Some of ya'll sure put them in a no-win situation with the hiring process. Back up from the ledge and let the dust settle before making judgments about decisions that you really don't know any info about.

I'm still flabbergasted that a thread was opened for a guy we didn't even hire and we're now 13 pages in arguing over a guy who, again, isn't even hired.

And then a 2nd thread was opened apologizing to the guy who, for the third time, isn't even hired.

Only on ES.

If folks want to express their anger, they should do so toward the charlatans in the media who continue to demonstrate lack of journalistic integrity by being more concerned with reporting FIRST rather than reporting CORRECTLY. If I were a member of the legitimate media (Keim, Tandler), I would be outraged...

Archived