Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

I'm personally taking it as a positive. Although it's probably not the best way to run a franchise, at least they are showing me directly that they care what the fanbase thinks.

Why does the majority of this board keep insisting the Redskins do things the traditional way, the way the "Patriots and Steelers" do things...but toss all that out the window when they don't like the results? lol...

Anyone here think the Patriots tailor their decision-making in football matters to the momentary whims of the fan base?

I've loved the Skins my whole life just like so many of you! When I was growing up it was 3 SB championships and kings of the offseason! Well, fast fwd and first see we have #5 pick (which I believe we should trade back a few slots if possible but regardless take best Safety in draft in Landonn Collins) and solidify both lines w/ FA and we possibly landed 2 young coaches because of ties that lead us back to the promise land!  Coaches coach, but players got to play!  

I don't know whether to be happy they have backed off or sad because it means they are listening a bit too much to the fans...

To be fair, it's not as if they weren't interested in Fangio from the beginning. circumstances changed is all.

Disclaimer: The following is a conspiracy theory and unlikely to be true, but interesting to think about if they wind up going with Barry.

Jay and Bruce's old pal Jim Haslett was let go in about the most face-saving way possible (the old mutual-decision ruse). Now, they don't want their boy Haslett to look bad either. If someone else comes in and the defense is dramatically improved right away, Haslett looks like what we all know he is, a guy who makes defenses worse as the DC.

How can Jay (and to a lesser extent Bruce, assuming this is really Jay's call) help his buddy out? Hire one of, if not the, only guy in the NFL who might be a worse defensive coordinator than Jim Haslett. If Jay has been told that he will be given the time to play out his contract and rebuild the team, then he might not be too worried about whether the defense is still poor next year. So, Jay chooses Barry to replace Haslett. The defense actually gets worse under Barry (which could also take the attention from Jay & the offense if they don't make huge strides), and the final narrative at the end of next season is that Jim Haslett was really doing a hell of a job getting these guys to even play at the level they did, Joe Barry needs to be fired, and whatever happens with the offense takes a backseat. It helps their old pal Haslett, takes some heat off of Gruden & the musical chair QB rotation (assuming the narative doesn't flip on Gruden that he shouldn't have hired Barry), and sets them up to go after a better defensive coordinator in 2016 when SM has presumably stocked the cupboards a little bit.

I realize this is a crackpot theory, but this is about the only coherent (even if it's imprudent) thought process that leads you to hiring Barry. Otherwise, my next guess is they just drew defensive position coaches names out of a hat or Jay's not getting to make the decision after all--and if that's the case Jay should take the Barry hire as a pre-emptive pink slip at the end of the season.

I just got a head ache reading this.

I'm a huge conspiracy theorist but this.......     takes the cake.

Disclaimer: The following is a conspiracy theory and unlikely to be true, but interesting to think about if they wind up going with Barry.

Jay and Bruce's old pal Jim Haslett was let go in about the most face-saving way possible (the old mutual-decision ruse). Now, they don't want their boy Haslett to look bad either. If someone else comes in and the defense is dramatically improved right away, Haslett looks like what we all know he is, a guy who makes defenses worse as the DC.

How can Jay (and to a lesser extent Bruce, assuming this is really Jay's call) help his buddy out? Hire one of, if not the, only guy in the NFL who might be a worse defensive coordinator than Jim Haslett. If Jay has been told that he will be given the time to play out his contract and rebuild the team, then he might not be too worried about whether the defense is still poor next year. So, Jay chooses Barry to replace Haslett. The defense actually gets worse under Barry (which could also take the attention from Jay & the offense if they don't make huge strides), and the final narrative at the end of next season is that Jim Haslett was really doing a hell of a job getting these guys to even play at the level they did, Joe Barry needs to be fired, and whatever happens with the offense takes a backseat. It helps their old pal Haslett, takes some heat off of Gruden & the musical chair QB rotation (assuming the narative doesn't flip on Gruden that he shouldn't have hired Barry), and sets them up to go after a better defensive coordinator in 2016 when SM has presumably stocked the cupboards a little bit.

I realize this is a crackpot theory, but this is about the only coherent (even if it's imprudent) thought process that leads you to hiring Barry. Otherwise, my next guess is they just drew defensive position coaches names out of a hat or Jay's not getting to make the decision after all--and if that's the case Jay should take the Barry hire as a pre-emptive pink slip at the end of the season.

Highly doubt Allen or Gruden truly gives a rat's ass now about Haslett considering their own jobs are next on the chopping block. 

How do you know they are listening to fans? Correlation does not equal causation as we like to say in the Tailgate forum. :) Some of ya'll sure put them in a no-win situation with the hiring process. Back up from the ledge and let the dust settle before making judgments about decisions that you really don't know any info about.

I'm not on a ledge just speaking my mind man. I find it weird that news of a hiring leaked from a fairly solid source (he works for NFL Network correct?) and then when blowback happens... crickets. I certainly could be wrong but most would say that the two finalists were Barry & Morris. I was (and still am) more than willing to give Barry a shot. I'd be lying if I said he'd be my preference for DC though. 

I'm still flabbergasted that a thread was opened for a guy we didn't even hire and we're now 13 pages in arguing over a guy who, again, isn't even hired.

And then a 2nd thread was opened apologizing to the guy who, for the third time, isn't even hired.

Only on ES.

Yep. I guess some people like to think Redskins upper management looks on the message boards for fans opinions, and in the spirit of not forcing upper management to have to go looking very hard for that opinion they decide to open a thread just for that specific person so it makes it easier and faster. Also so upper management can't say they had no clue the fan base didn't like said guy, even though they never would say that.

One can only hope they have some form of control over their favorite team.

Myself included. ;)

I've loved the Skins my whole life just like so many of you! When I was growing up it was 3 SB championships and kings of the offseason! Well, fast fwd and first see we have #5 pick (which I believe we should trade back a few slots if possible but regardless take best Safety in draft in Landonn Collins) and solidify both lines w/ FA and we possibly landed 2 young coaches because of ties that lead us back to the promise land!  Coaches coach, but players got to play!  

Scares me how everyone has a different idea of how to build, rebuild, or make this team good again. Not that mine is any better I guess. I'll say from the draft we simply need OL, DL, DB's. Get younger, faster, and healthier.

In other news, Dianna Russini of NBC in Washington is now reporting that Ian Rappaport has been named Goofball Reporter of the Year. He will accept his award at the National Goofball Convention and his plaque will be presented by previously reported to be new D.C. of the Washington Redskins Joe Barry...... who actually is still the San Diego Chargers Linebackers coach

I cannot see them back peddling from Joe B. 

Think about it, they clearly want to help the Tampa alumni as a priority to our organization. Allen just smiles. GMSM facepalms and likely wonders what he got into.

Why would they hurt Joe Bs feelings and switch coordinators at the ninth hour, when helping out the old band is important?

Maybe they are here reading the fallout from a questionable hire when many more qualified folk are available. Do you turn on the blinders in everything you do, live in a box?  Conspiracy theory, maybe, sure. They did the tweety leak test using a pawn reporter. I for one don't think Dan and every single employee of his, and heck all teams and all theirs, refuse to peruse the internets, and that no NFL team cares about the pulse of their fans. Their life blood. But that is just me. It's in human nature to be curious. Twitter has made getting the pulse of the fans easier than ever. Allen no longer needs to go around talking to fans to know they don't like his "Tampa 2" charade.

So maybe Allen already has himself in a pickle on a simple DC hire, when he thought he was going back to charity events and golf.

I'm not on a ledge just speaking my mind man. I find it weird that news of a hiring leaked from a fairly solid source (he works for NFL Network correct?) and then when blowback happens... crickets. I certainly could be wrong but most would say that the two finalists were Barry & Morris. I was (and still am) more than willing to give Barry a shot. I'd be lying if I said he'd be my preference for DC though. 

That same said man you speak of the day before said Raheem Morris was the man and would be announced on Fri. He even tweeted it. Then the next day all of a sudden Barry's the man and he's going to be named on Fri.

I've almost given up on Ian and his lets throw crap at the wall and see what the fans think attitude. Give us fans some real, true, honest, inside information. Stop shoveling crap.

EDIT: Travdaskin, I was not referring to you I was referring to Ian. Just to be clear.

In other news, Dianna Russini of NBC in Washington is now reporting that Ian Rappaport has been named Goofball Reporter of the Year. He will accept his award at the National Goofball Convention and his plaque will be presented by previously reported to be new D.C. of the Washington Redskins Joe Barry...... who actually is still the San Diego Chargers Linebackers coach

This would be a pot/kettle situation

That same said man you speak of the day before said Raheem Morris was the man and would be announced on Fri. He even tweeted it. Then the next day all of a sudden Barry's the man and he's going to be named on Fri.

I've almost given up on Ian and his lets throw crap at the wall and see what the fans think attitude. Give us fans some real, true, honest, inside information. Stop shoveling crap.

I thought he was pretty reliable since he works for the NFL's main network. I didn't know that he tweeted about Morris being named. That literally changes everything  :lol: . I agree with your last sentiment wholeheartedly. Hopefully the Skins take some time now and get the guy they really want. 

Our organization is in a position where fan opinion is vital.  Fans have reached their breaking point with the team.  Making further moves that will upset most of the fan base any further can start costing the organization a ton of money. 

Look, we need a DC.  There are some excellent DCs out there with fantastic track records.  How on earth do they think they can sell the fan base on Barry, when you have Phillips, Schwartz, and Fangio out there to be had?  The answer is they can't sell the fan base on that.  It's impossible.  Barry could be a quality guy and a hidden gem, but this organization hasn't shown they can be trusted to find those hidden gems.

What award does the mod here who also "leaked" Barry would be DC get? 

Here's another theory that has no basis but just a thought---

Joe Barry is in fact hired as defensive coordinator --- BUT we hire Vin Fangio as associate HC- Defense and he runs it-- the promotion allows us to hire Barry, but Fangio will actually be calling the shots--- would be ok with this and probably totally wrong but throwing it out there

Here's another theory that has no basis but just a thought---

Joe Barry is in fact hired as defensive coordinator --- BUT we hire Vin Fangio as associate HC- Defense and he runs it-- the promotion allows us to hire Barry, but Fangio will actually be calling the shots--- would be ok with this and probably totally wrong but throwing it out there

Totally wrong, never gonna happen. 

I'm going to try not to sound like a dick here.  But sorry, this has to be one of the worst posts I'll read all month. At least I hope it is.  You are actually suggesting that  a head coach in as tenuous a position as Jay Gruden is going into next year would actually sabotage his season, and his job, in some crazy plan that you think will actually help his old friend look better?  Seriously? 

Late Breaking Bulletin from Redskins Park on the New Defensive Coordinator: Let's go now to the press conference and listen in:

(cricketts)....chirping......chirping............chirping....................dead silence...............................................................chirp

keep-calm-and-never-go-full-retard-8.png

Maybe I should have put my resume in for the DC job... This is indeed an example of FULL RETARD. The guy's defenses weren't just bad they were as Charles Barkley would say... turrible. Historically bad. This hire is like a patient going into the ER with a broken finger and the doctors solve the problem by amputating both legs. Yeah.. The Squire is still rolling in his grave.

Zombie says HAIL!

I don't know whether to be happy they have backed off or sad because it means they are listening a bit too much to the fans... 

You really do know.   You just don't want to admit it.

The team doesn't listen to fan response on matters like this, but, in this case the team wouldn't listen even if it did because only one person is responsible for this hire, whoever it is, and that's Gruden.   And he's not listening.   He's building a staff he thinks can help him.   It is VERY possible Scotty MAC told him he HAS to talk to Vic or whatever, but, this is a Gruden thang.  

No news of a hiring leaked.   From anyone.   There was a single report that the Redskins were PLANNING to hire someone.   Not that they had.  PLANNING.   At least know the info you are confused about, please.

Archived