Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

Except Barry sucks so you'd be advocating they keep a crappy system for decades.

Fangio comes in, sets up a successful system, and then we elevate one of the coaches that worked under him to continue the system. That's what the 49ers did, that's what the Steelers did and have done, that's what GOOD organizations typically do: they promote from within a successful system. Fangio brings a successful system, and if he leaves in a year we have coaches that worked under him and can continue the system. We wouldn't be starting over again. In fact, we have Olivadotti who many are very high on. Give him a year under Fangio and I'd bet he'd be a solid heir as DC.

But hire Barry, have a lousy D and watch him and Gruden both likely get fired in December, and THEN we'll truly be restarting. Well on second though, if that were to happen then maybe Barry would be a good hire lol.

In all seriousness, with Fangio, Wade, and Schwartz out there, and Gruden is choosing Barry, then Gruden doesn't have what it takes to be a good HC.

"Barry sucks". Thanks for the great written report on his coaching style and motivational speeches.

While I would prefer Fangio to Barry, obviously, I am still not sure why people are as jazzed about him.

He has generally had average defenses until the Niners.   His system seems very simple to me where he allows very, very, very good players to play and dominate.   Like in Seattle.   He doesn't strike me as an innovator.   He did produce great overall defense in San Francisco, but, that team was loaded.   

Again, I like him more than Barry, but he'd be no higher than third on my list of preferred options.   Schwartz and Wade top that.

I dont disagree with the best two choices, I think Schwartz and Wade are pretty good options.  But lets also remember Schwartz has no better record than Fangio.  Sometimes the point though isnt figuring out whether the guy was solely responsible for a teams good play.  Sometimes its about getting a guy who has been IN that environment and learned it.  If it was Jim Harbaugh who was responsible, so what?  Fangio for 4 years sat and learned while watching a top 10 defense dominate.  You cant tell me he didnt learn a TON.  And if it was Harbaugh and not Fangio who was responsible for it, then its safe to say Harbaugh really knows defense.  If he does, the fact he was willing to employ Fangio for 4 years then says a lot about what he thought of Fangio.  Option 1 is: He was responsible for the great defenses.  Option 2 is: He wasnt, instead he learned for 4 years from an expert how to run a top defense.  ill take either one, and while #1 is nicer #2 is much better than we have had.  That said, I would be pleasantly surprised if they did this 360...

"Barry sucks". Thanks for the great written report on his coaching style and motivational speeches.

No problem. Thanks for ignoring ALL the valid points I put forth about the better moves. Where exactly is YOUR written report on his coaching style and speeches?

You're new so you don't realize that I am one of the more optimistic posters on this board, and even I can see how bad of a choice Barry would be for DC. You obviously just don't get it. This team needs a total rehaul on defense and needs a DC who knows how to do a lot with a little. Barry already proved in Detroit he is NOT that guy. He's similar to Haslett in that he needs a lot of talent to have a good defense. Plus, after such a bad season, and so many bad seasons lately, this team is trying to sell change, because it is in fact trying to change and do better. This is not the type of move that falls in line with that, especially not when Fangio, Wade, and Schwartz are all available and can very likely turn the defense into an elite unit quickly.

Whoever we end up hiring, can we please give him a chance to suck before we condemn him to sucking?

One other thing, does anyone truly believe that the Washington Redskins actually give a flying c**p about what we think. If I for one second believed that we at ES have any influence on the decisions this team makes i would absolutely toss my Redskin FanCard in the shredder.

HTTR!

We're the Redskins.  We turn everything into suck! **

But when you start with someone with a bad track record, suckage will be suckier than ever before. A Barry hire makes you wish that we hadn't fired Hazmat. And I **HATE** that!  Who knows .. Barry may actually some day learn to be a good DC. But with the last 15 (no .. 23) years, I just don't want to be the guinea pig. Let some other team take the bullet!

** --  Unlike a lot of the punks around here, I remember well when the name Redskins evoked pride, and we were known for much of a decade for winning, not losing. Hell .. I remember the George Allen years, and those weren't too shabby either. DAMN! I want to be that again! Before I die, dammit!

ACTUALLY...they better give a damn what we think, because the fans pay for their salaries. Did you check out the Redskins fans ATTENDANCE in the last game. Maybe you didn't notice it....but I can promise you Snyder saw it.

They don't need to care what we think, they just need to win. If they are making football decisions based on what fans think that would be the saddest and most desperate action an organization could take. If they don't know more about football than we do, we have already lost.

Hire good people - win games - stadium is full

Follow fans advice - lose games - stadium empty

While I would prefer Fangio to Barry, obviously, I am still not sure why people are as jazzed about him.

He has generally had average defenses until the Niners.   His system seems very simple to me where he allows very, very, very good players to play and dominate.   Like in Seattle.   He doesn't strike me as an innovator.   He did produce great overall defense in San Francisco, but, that team was loaded.   

Again, I like him more than Barry, but he'd be no higher than third on my list of preferred options.   Schwartz and Wade top that.

I also am not all that excited by Fangio. I know he's been successful the last couple of years in San FranFreako, but his career record prior isn't one of dominance.  I was actually more interested in Phillips and yet, I wasn't all that excited by him either! But this Barry cat? .. let someone else roll the dice on 'im. PASS!

Then again .. maybe there's just no DC that would excite me period.

JasonLaCanfora: If Skins are smart and handle this well they could have Vic Fangio and Ed Donatell on staff running their D. They should make it happen

but neither of them ever worked in tampa so how are they supposed to get hired?

maybe some of them have been to tampa?  like maybe the airport?  or mons venus?  maybe that counts.

Ryan Kerrigan, Keenan Robinson, Bashaud Breeland, and Hall back healthy, all in a Fangio-led defense. Drool.

Trent Murphy and Amerson and Baker all get their value elevated too. Our personnel on defense actually isn't too shabby with the right guy at DC. But a mediocre DC isn't going to elevate these guys, he'd need to inherit an elite unit. Barry would just continue the low 20s ranked defense we've all come to be disappointed in.

McCloughlan needs to talk to Fangio and Donatell to bring them on board. Get Morris the heck out of here and replace him with Donatell. I know this is wishful thinking because Donatell could replace Fangio as DC in SF, but one can dream right?

Honestly though why are we not hiring Wade? Makes me just wonder that he isn't interested in coming here under Snyder. If Scot is truly running things, then it shouldn't matter with all the Tampa connections anymore. I don't think McCloughlan would lay down to Snyder & Bruce.

maybe some of them have been to tampa?  like maybe the airport?  or mons venus?  maybe that counts.

There'll be a news report are minute now that Vic Fangio has signed concurrent one day deals with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Florida Tuskers.  THEN Bruce'll hire him.

Is there a chance that the CSN report on the Barry signing actually started here?

TK announced in the Zoony Bin (post 1737) that Morris didn't get the gig, but Berry's (sic) the new DC. Everyone goes crazy and assumes that Joe Barry got the job.

A while later Ian Rapoport tweets that Joe Barry is the new DC according to "sources" (posts on ES?).

El-Bashir of CSN then does a speculative report with no facts except citing Ian Rapoport as his source.

Maybe I'm way off, but I'm having fun with it anyway.  :ph34r:

Brent Venables from Clemson would be interesting ... but honestly I want him to stay with the Tigers

Whoever we end up hiring, can we please give him a chance to suck before we condemn him to sucking?

One other thing, does anyone truly believe that the Washington Redskins actually give a flying c**p about what we think. If I for one second believed that we at ES have any influence on the decisions this team makes i would absolutely toss my Redskin FanCard in the shredder.

HTTR!

umm ... Barry already checked the "Sucks as an NFL Defensive Coordinator" block ...

It's like the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. You'll wind up making the TPA connection at some point.

Is there a chance that the CSN report on the Barry signing actually started here?

TK announced in the Zoony Bin (post 1737) that Morris didn't get the gig, but Berry's (sic) the new DC. Everyone goes crazy and assumes that Joe Barry got the job.

A while later Ian Rapoport tweets that Joe Barry is the new DC according to "sources" (posts on ES?).

El-Bashir of CSN then does a speculative report with no facts except citing Ian Rapoport as his source.

Maybe I'm way off, but I'm having fun with it anyway.  :ph34r:

itd be really disheartening if ian rappaport was using extremeskins as a source.  nothing against this forum, but that guy is paid a fortune to have sources and report things.  not read a message board and flood twitter with it lol

Can someone tell me why Schwartz didn't make the cut? Certainly it's not because Dan can't afford someone for once. Did Tonya put him on an allowance and cut up his credit cards?

I missed that somehow in the 40-leven pages of posts on where Redskins One is at any given moment.  You can point me to a post number if you want. I'm out of the loop the last few days. Only heard about Barry tonight and I blew a gasket!

I mostly agree with this.  However, do you remember after Gibbs retired for the second time?  There was chaos in the head coach search - first the shock of Gibbs leaving, then the news that Gregg Williams wasn't getting the job.  Then, it was reported that Jim Fassel was going to be appointed head coach, and the fan base straight up REVOLTED.  Never seem anything like that.  I, for one, was one the fans waving a pitchfork and getting all worked up online over it... I just couldn't envision Jim Fassel having any success here; he'd been out of football for a while (I think?).  We ended up with Zorn, which I was okay with, but that ended disastrously.  :/

But if you can't weigh in, what's the point of being a fan?  Lol...  with that said, I really hope we don't hire Barry.  Fangio would be an awesome hire.  

Ryan Kerrigan, Keenan Robinson, Bashaud Breeland, and Hall back healthy, all in a Fangio-led defense. Drool.

Trent Murphy and Amerson and Baker all get their value elevated too. Our personnel on defense actually isn't too shabby with the right guy at DC. But a mediocre DC isn't going to elevate these guys, he'd need to inherit an elite unit. Barry would just continue the low 20s ranked defense we've all come to be disappointed in.

I wouldn't count on Hall at all coming off his injury and his age. Need to see more from Murphy so much so that I'd draft an OLB for his spot in this draft if we stay at 4. Amerson is eh as well. This defense lacks the one thing that good 3-4 defenses must have... true monsters on the defensive line. You can get by with average secondary play if you have the dogs that can get after the QB with only 4 men while keeping 7 in coverage. I think this unit can be AVERAGE as in middle of the pack. If they were I'd double our win margin from this past season. It still seems like they're setting Gruden up to get canned this upcoming season though so we'll see. 

I dont think this is Bruce/Tampa revival tour. I think they're giving Jay another hands off year or two, and that includes letting him pick his coordinators hands off. It was Jay's pick. They figure if he's hanging around let him feel the most comfortable; it's no sweat to scrap them all after one to three years of McC drafting and the franchise waiting for the right reeaalll candidate to coach this team.

Archived