Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

Can anyone estimate the cost to a team from a horrible hire?  Getting the pulse of the fans costs exactly nothing. Seems low risk to me. 

Allen is not perfect. Nor is Dan. Nor is Jay. We all know this. No one is.

If you think them taking a peak at Twitter is what makes them bad, so be it. I think its worse picking the guy with the perhaps the worst record of a DC all time. Dare I think folks here are very knowledgeable about football. This place can be and is resource. 

Give GMSM time to end the charades. This search has Allen written all over it. 

Can anyone estimate the cost to a team from a horrible hire?  Getting the pulse of the fans costs exactly nothing. Seems low risk to me. 

Allen is not perfect. Nor is Dan. Nor is Jay. We all know this. No one is.

If you think them taking a peak at Twitter is what makes them bad, so be it. I think its worse picking the guy with the perhaps the worst record of a DC all time. Dare I think folks here are very knowledgeable about football. This place can be and is resource. 

Give SM time to end the charades. This search has Allen written all over it. 

If Snyder trusts Allen/Gruden so little then why are they even there? And like I said last year with keeping Hazlett around. If it was my team that would've been the perfect idiot test and I'd have fired Allen and never hired Gruden because you have to be a complete idiot to want the worst coach on the staff back after firing a close to HOF head coach and his top 5 OC son. Then this year they double down on the idiocy by trying to get Detroits 0-16 year DC here. That is just ****ing hilarious if you are a fan of any other team.

Dan Snyder told me to tell everyone that he doesnt read this board, and most of you are wrong, and he will have some responses for some of you.

I kind of feel like the Redskins offseason would be the only thing in the world more productive if gambling were involved.  With all of the rumors, it feels like a perfect opportunity to include bets on who ends up with what and where, those too poor after a couple years wouldnt be allowed to post in offseason rumor threads, and then just the savants and psyhcics would be left, those most accurate in their offseason predictions.  It could be like fantasy football, with a losers bracket predicting when Vinny gets rehired, or how many times Allen will dodge the same question in a press conference.

Bad news...it was NOT Redskins One which picked up Vic Fangio in San Francisco last night...apparently he accidentally boarded Malaysia One Airlines. At this time the aircraft has disappeared along with Fangio. To make matters worse, when Redskins One finally did arrive, due to the confusion it accidentally picked up former Democratic Congressman from California Vic Fazio.

However, it has been learned through Dianna Russini at NBC in Washington that former Congressman Fazio is being considered for the Redskins D.C. position due to the fact that he once stopped at a Denny's Restaurant in Tampa Bay and used their restroom.

Lol, why can't we atleast hire Fassell, did he not have any connections to Tampa Bay

1. They are not monitoring message boards and Twitter to hire coaches or players.

2. Don't believe everything you read or hear unless you like being called a fool. (Re: BS post about Vic Fangio; no one knows at this point).

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you here.  

Hell they friggin' hired Scot McCloughan off of Grant Paulsen's suggestion alone (kidding...sort of).  

Can you imagine what Allen must have thought when he heard all the backlash and people on DC radio, in the media, and in the print clowning his presser?

You'd better believe that smart organizations keep their ear to the ground and listen to fans, radio, read blogs, boards, media ect.  

Good organizations are not making decisions based on the fans' or media's input.  That said I'm sure they're leaving no stone unturned and no valid opinion left unheard.  

I'll be honest dude, I've heard some pretty good opinions and suggestions on this site from people I couldn't identify in a lineup if you put a gun to my head.  Just b/c this is a message board doesn't mean there aren't some smart football people on it.  

If I were a GM, I'd take a gander on ES once in a blue.   ;)   That's just me.  

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you here.

Hell they friggin' hired Scot McCloughan off of Grant Paulsen's suggestion alone (kidding...sort of).

Can you imagine what Allen must have thought when he heard all the backlash and people on DC radio, in the media, and in the print clowning his presser?

You'd better believe that smart organizations keep their ear to the ground and listen to fans, radio, read blogs, boards, media ect.

Good organizations are not making decisions based on the fans' or media's input. That said I'm sure they're leaving no stone unturned and no valid opinion left unheard.

I'll be honest dude, I've heard some pretty good opinions and suggestions on this site from people I couldn't identify in a lineup if you put a gun to my head. Just b/c this is a message board doesn't mean there aren't some smart football people on it.

If I were a GM, I'd take a gander on ES once in a blue. ;) That's just me.

Not saying smart people dont reside here nor am I saying keeping an ear to the ground is a bad thing but making corporate decisions based on those elements?

Listening to your clients is a good thing but I would not hire my CFx staff or Management team based on their comments.

Not saying smart people dont reside here nor am I saying keeping an ear to the ground is a bad thing but making corporate decisions based on those elements?

Listening to your clients is a good thing but I would not hire my CFx staff or Management team based on their comments.

Making staff selections based on fanbase opinions?  Agree a dumb idea.

Once the decision is made--leaking it first to see if it will fly?  Happens all the time in many sectors.

Like when there's a new Secretary of Defense coming... or even just a plain old ambassador... or even lower just a deputy under secretary... first they leak who is going to be nominated... then the White House literally announces an "Intent to Nominate" before they actually make the nomination.  Why?  To see if the selection will cause an uproar before they cross the point of no return.

Does the same thing happen in football, where happy or unhappy fans directly impact sales of merchandise and GA/club season tickets?  For a multi-billion dollar industry?  Of freakin course it does!!

Does the same thing happen in football, where happy or unhappy fans directly impact sales of merchandise and GA/club season tickets?  For a multi-billion dollar industry?  Of freakin course it does!!

If you expected to be a winner, hired winners who always win and expect to win, and were confident that you would in fact do what you've been telling the fans you will do, which is WIN, then all of that bs is completely irrelevant. This is one more reason why I don't trust Snyder and his way of doing business. The Redskins are just another part of his marketing empire to him.

I'll be honest dude, I've heard some pretty good opinions and suggestions on this site from people I couldn't identify in a lineup if you put a gun to my head.  Just b/c this is a message board doesn't mean there aren't some smart football people on it.  

If I were a GM, I'd take a gander on ES once in a blue.   ;)   That's just me.  

I'm going to take this one step further and say if I was the GM of the Skins, I would FORCE my scouting department to identify and follow some of the guys that put so much time/effort into the draft database thread on ES. 

(I remember hearing the name Seantral Henderson over and over again in that thread over the summer... the guy gets drafted in the 7th round and instantly becomes the Bills' best OL as a rookie!)

The depth in last year's draft at OL was remarkable and SOME HOW our scouting department dropped the ball by passing up guys like Joe Bitonio, Jack Mewhort, Gabe Jackson, Bryan Stork... all names that I heard people throwing around here for months.

I have confidence in Scot McG, but the previous scouting department could have done themselves a big service by logging into ES a few times a week!

This is what doesn't make sense:

Gary Fitzgerald @GaryRFitzgerald Jan 14

If #Redskins brass didn't know potential Joe Barry hiring would not be well received by fans, that would be truly alarming.

If--IF--the Redskins top brass really DOES completely change course on a hiring decision based on "fan backlash", there's no way in hell they would not know ahead of time that Joe Barry would cause the fan reaction that it did lol...any organization THAT freaked out and concerned about fan reaction would never have brought in Joe Barry for an interview to begin with.

the later post could be sarcasm

I don't doubt the team monitors fan sites, Twitter, radio, etc. to get a pulse. I absolutely dispute they make decisions based on this input. More likely they heard through league channels that neither Fangio, nor Shanahan (Fangios two options for staying on) would be hired in SF and that he would be released from his contract. They were probably set to hire Barry but pulled back when this happened. Don't forget the first thing we heard about the DC interview process was the Redskins seeking permission to interview Fangio. I think he was Jays target from the beginning and the opportunity was not to be passed up. This, at least from our limited perspective makes a ton more sense.

If Snyder trusts Allen/Gruden so little then why are they even there? And like I said last year with keeping Hazlett around. If it was my team that would've been the perfect idiot test and I'd have fired Allen and never hired Gruden because you have to be a complete idiot to want the worst coach on the staff back after firing a close to HOF head coach and his top 5 OC son. Then this year they double down on the idiocy by trying to get Detroits 0-16 year DC here. That is just ****ing hilarious if you are a fan of any other team.

It does appear to be amateur hour, but Allen relinquishing player GM duty was huge, and a solid first step back to a proper front office.

I suspect GMSM did not want full GM duties, so he doesn't bite off more than he can chew as he gets back into the game.

If Dan and Co. did reach out the football community at large for feedback on Barry, they appeared to get that message. Maybe it was inadvertent. Perhaps they didn't dig up the damning data from Detroit (his fault or not), or didn't know he was the spoiled son in law. Maybe they didn't know us fans were fed up with the Tampa connection, as backlash sure looked strong here.

Ask any fan, who is smarter, Dan + Allen + Jay, or the collective football nation including all reporters digging for tweetable nuggets,+ the very educated fans posting here, + all the experts and former players now in the media scrutinizing any single bit of news. I think the world at large is smarter. Maybe we can rationalize the cost free litmus test.

Dan and all NFL teams are in the entertainment business, and for profit. It's all about marketing and revenue. This team is concerned about its image, we know this. All teams are. Ray Rice. Heck we are in constant damage control over our name. We have seen Dan's commercials.

Who knows what happened. I suspect there was no deliberate litmus test, but the leak became one. They rethought their position, and back tracked.

Food for thought. And I say this not specifically supporting anyone. But Joe Barry was coordinator in Detroit for 2 seasons. Both years the Lions finished dead last in the defensive rankings. After Marinelli was fired (with Barry), Jim Schwartz came in. And the Lions finished dead last in the defensive rankings. People here don't want to hire Joe Barry. But many do want to hire Jim Schwartz. Obviously it's not that cut and dry between the two candidates, but it does help show how awful those Detroit teams were.

Food for thought. And I say this not specifically supporting anyone. But Joe Barry was coordinator in Detroit for 2 seasons. Both years the Lions finished dead last in the defensive rankings. After Marinelli was fired (with Barry), Jim Schwartz came in. And the Lions finished dead last in the defensive rankings. People here don't want to hire Joe Barry. But many do want to hire Jim Schwartz. Obviously it's not that cut and dry between the two candidates, but it does help show how awful those Detroit teams were.

Same thing happened with our special teams.  Danny Smith was the problem and then he transformed into Kotwica (or whatever his name is) and continued to cause our special teams to suck and at the same time cloned himself and did pretty well with Pittsburgh.

NC21,

Many posters take their acumen and their "self" very seriously.

I respect that, and try to show it in my current choice of avatar.  :P

Not that there aren't other reason for that avatar (I miss the old evil grin smiley).

Here I am, entering the Golden Years during a very full life (full of everything  ^_^), and I am someone who misses certain smileys.

I have taken many questionable turns. 

But I digress. 

I don't doubt the team monitors fan sites, Twitter, radio, etc. to get a pulse. I absolutely dispute they make decisions based on this input. More likely they heard through league channels that neither Fangio, nor Shanahan (Fangios two options for staying on) would be hired in SF and that he would be released from his contract. They were probably set to hire Barry but pulled back when this happened. Don't forget the first thing we heard about the DC interview process was the Redskins seeking permission to interview Fangio. I think he was Jays target from the beginning and the opportunity was not to be passed up. This, at least from our limited perspective makes a ton more sense.

I noticed that recently the Redskins have been posting photos on Instagram of "areas of Redskins Park not often seen by fans". I was wondering if this was their response to the posts/talk about how our facilities deter potential staff members from wanting to come here. 

Archived