Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

While I would prefer Fangio to Barry, obviously, I am still not sure why people are as jazzed about him.

He has generally had average defenses until the Niners. His system seems very simple to me where he allows very, very, very good players to play and dominate. Like in Seattle. He doesn't strike me as an innovator. He did produce great overall defense in San Francisco, but, that team was loaded.

Again, I like him more than Barry, but he'd be no higher than third on my list of preferred options. Schwartz and Wade top that.

Everyone keeps saying SF's D was good soley because it was stacked with talented players but I believe Fangio helped developed them to pro bowl form. All these players were drafted not a bunch of free agents brought there. Vic and his staff developed these players into the studs they are.

Everyone keeps saying SF's D was good soley because it was stacked with talented players but I believe Fangio helped developed them to pro bowl form. All these players were drafted not a bunch of free agents brought there. Vic and his staff developed these players into the studs they are.

Phil Jackson really isn't all that impressive of a coach...he won because he had Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Shaq on his rosters. Anyone could win NBA titles with those guys.

Let's also not forget Fangio coming here would mean Donatell here as well.  Donatell here would mean Morris is gone.

So many positives with this 

Phil Jackson really isn't all that impressive of a coach...he won because he had Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Shaq on his rosters. Anyone could win NBA titles with those guys.

As I recall none of those guys won any titles until Phil. How many years was Jordan and The Bulls playoff contenders falling short of the ultimate prize? When Jackson became their coach they reached their full potential winning multiple titles.

Ditto with Kobe and Shaq. They had the same problem that Jordan and Pippen had. Great player but couldn't get over the hump for the ultimate prize. Having talented player can only take you so far you have to be a good coach to manage it all.

The difference, pertaining to Vic, is he developed his players. He played a part in them becoming the beasts they are now. Theres a good chance he can churn out some monster playets here. But lets see if he takes the gig here or ends up in Chicago?

The issue for me, though, is having fans actually convince themselves that:

- The Skins' FO has occasionally changed their minds about personnel decisions based on "fan backlash"

- The Skins' FO occasionally changing their minds about personnel decisions based on "fan backlash" is a good thing

- The Skins' FO needs to occasionally change their minds about personnel decision based on "fan backlash"

There is no question Fassel was a result of fan reaction.  I do love your pure mind and virgin heart.  It's admirable.  I wish I could gain those qualities again.

As I recall none of those guys won any titles until Phil. How many years was Jordan and The Bulls playoff contenders falling short of the ultimate prize? When Jackson became their coach they reached their full potential winning multiple titles.

Ditto with Kobe and Shaq. They had the same problem that Jordan and Pippen had. Great player but couldn't get over the hump for the ultimate prize. Having talented player can only take you so far you have to be a good coach to manage it all.

The difference, pertaining to Vic, is he developed his players. He played a part in them becoming the beasts they are now. Theres a good chance he can churn out some monster playets here. But lets see if he takes the gig here or ends up in Chicago?

That was my point lol...I was just making it by being facetious. :)

There is no question Fassel was a result of fan reaction.  I do love your pure mind and virgin heart.  It's admirable.  I wish I could gain those qualities again.

There's an incredibly valid, logical and fact-based argument that Fassel's situation was not caused by "fan backlash". I'm not gonna present it, though, because it would take too long to put together, most wouldn't read it because it would be too long to read, and nobody will let it sway their opinions anyway.

I'm guessing "pure heart" and "virgin mind" are terms meant for "logical mind" in your world? lol...

There's an incredibly valid, logical and fact-based argument that Fassel's situation was not caused by "fan backlash". I'm not gonna present it, though, because it would take too long to put together, most wouldn't read it because it would be too long to read, and nobody will let it sway their opinions anyway.

I'm guessing "pure heart" and "virgin mind" are terms meant for "logical mind" in your world? lol...

I know it's not for this thread.  But it's entirely logical that Fassel is lying that he was working with Vinny, agreed with Vinny on hiring Zorn as an OC, then suddenly changing their mind and making Zorn a head coach.  I suspect Fassel isn't lying on his account, I would suggest you wouldn't have any facts based on the sudden reversal and logic defying turn of events that suddenly made Zorn a head coach.  I mean most NFL teams wouldn't even hire Zorn as an OC :-)

Ahh I miss the Vinny days.  You never know what you got served.

Also, didn't our current GM have a lot to do with drafting/signing those players.

I actually like the way things are shaping up in the FO and coaching ranks.

I'd really advocate closing this thread since it's been clearly proven that the story it was based on was ... Inaccurate.

Or morph the thread into "incorrect predictions by Skins media members."

Skins still might end up with the guy, but it's clear that when this story was released, it wasn't accurate.

because this thread is funny.

Exactly my feelings. Ian Rappaport and some other outlets told me that Joe Barry is the new DC so why are we still interviewing for that position almost a week later?

The thing that really gets me is how obvious at this time the report was flatout false or premature, yet none of the mediots who reported bothered to recant or at least put out there that it was wrong info.

The thing that really gets me is how obvious at this time the report was flatout false or premature, yet none of the mediots who reported bothered to recant or at least put out there that it was wrong info.

Actually, to be fair, I think Dianna (who I generally don't care for) was the first to say "hold your horses"

It's an off-shoot of the Rooney Rule...have to interview at least one guy named Fangio, Fazio, Florio or wearing a fedora. This can happen at any time within 2 months after a position becomes available in your organization.

I always assumed it was that offshoot that requires you to interview at least one qualified candidate before announcing the hire of someone with a historical DC ranking average lower than 25/25.

Archived