Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

I hope not. Letting the fans run things isn't really a good idea.

I agree with this normally but in this case the point begs us to trust Bruce Allen.  Yes, lets have faith that Bruce Allen is going to make a good decision.  No, Bruce Allen isn't affected by nepotism.  Yes, the rest of the league hasn't shown interest in Barry as a D coordinator.  But yes, we should trust Jay and Bruce to see the world a little differently than the rest of the league and pull it off since both are super smart. 

I don't think the fans should be choosing the defensive coordinator but I think it is in bounds to put the front office on notice this way:

A.  Yes we are aware that there are other defensive coordinators available with better resumes and track records

B.  No, we don't trust this front office to go off the beaten track and pull off a pleasant surprise with a coaching hire

C.  No the front office hasn't earned the benefit of our doubt

D.  If this doesn't work out, we aren't going to be happy because it looks questionable from day 1  

Now, he is young and full of energy.   We had another mistake, at the moment of hire, many years ago with another coach off the Chargers.   Joe Gibbs.   It was a bad decision to hire someone that unqualified at the time.   However, it worked out beautifully and we're glad for it.   Barry, with hope, brings energy, passion and innovation to a team that needs it and maybe becomes a star and we'll forget how questionable it was to hire him in the first place.

Please tell me you're digging deep to be optimistic.  Gibbs' resume included the #2 and #4 offense in the NFL immediately preceding him being hired by the Redskins.  What on Barry's resume is even somewhat similar to that?   

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that these guys be responsible for hiring the best guy available.  I don't care if he knocks you off your feet in the interview...you still have to talk about what he's done...and why he hasn't been a coordinator since those terrible Lions teams. 

URL:  http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2012/2/3/2769696/joe-barry-the-san-diego-chargers-new-linebackers-coach

He was a member of the 2002 Super Bowl champions that led the league in total defense and scoring defense. The Buccaneers were ranked among the NFL's top 5 in total defense 3 others times during his tenure, including first in 2005 when they won the NFC South Division. His linebackers were named to the Pro Bowl 7 times, including 2002 NFL Defensive Player of the Year Derrick Brooks.

Above is some nice stuff.  Below is not as impressive, but not a total fail. 

From the Chargers:

As a result of all the injuries, only twice in 2013 did the Chargers start the same four linebackers in consecutive weeks. Still, linebackers were responsible for 16 of the team’s 35 sacks, including 4.5 by Thomas Keiser, a practice squad player at the start of the season who went on to lead the linebackers in sacks and quarterback hits (10). Another valuable performer was Reggie Walker, a special teams player for most of his career who started six games at both inside and outside linebacker and registered the first three sacks of his NFL career and ranked third among the linebackers with 49 tackles.

I hope that his previous DC experience along with more overall experience has him ready for this promotion. 

Please tell me you're digging deep to be optimistic.  Gibbs' resume included the #2 and #4 offense in the NFL preceding him being hired by the Redskins.  What on Barry's resume is even somewhat similar to that?   

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that these guys be responsible for hiring the best guy available.  I don't care if he knocks you off your feet in the interview...you still have to talk about what he's done...and why he hasn't been a coordinator since those terrible Lions teams. 

As for knocking people off their feet in interviews, same thing we heard about Zorn.  And heck some of us, me included, now question the Jay hire, Bruce talked about being blown away in the interview, he was quoted saying something to the effect of he wanted to hire him before the interview was even finished. 

Bruce and or Jay being smitten in an interview doesn't hold stock with me.  Keim when he was on 980 suggested via sources that the deck was stacked in Barry's favor before he even interviewed.

"Coach Marinelli, do you ever wish your daughter had married a better defensive coordinator? "

That was rude, he is well known for his persistent malicious attacks (Kirk, Robert).

I hope not. Letting the fans run things isn't really a good idea.

I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better to let them do that :P;)

When SM was "not yet official" I was nervous, when JB is "not yet hired" I am hopeful... Redskins Park was very quiet during the SM process, seem to be pushing back against the reports that JB was hired.

I am hopeful common sense will prevail for once and that the wheels of this thing set in motion will be undone.

Hey I'm right there with you man in 91 I was banging ninja turtles together. 

Sorry for the derail, but i'm happy they brought tmnt back, very cool to see my daughter think the old ones are 'so cool' and she loved watching the movie.  I know, like watching football, she probably doesn't get a lot of it yet, but I love the fact that she asks me to watch it all the time.

Then in a few days we'll be told that Barry is our new LB Coach and Olivadotti our new DC, but the media just ate the "LB Caoch and Olivadotti our new" part of it :P

Other than that, It's good to have someone that can motivate people, because Haslett never did that, or at least, that went unnoticed.

And if the guy can make some decent half time adjustment, it'll be better.

Other Barrys prefereable to Joe:

Marion Barry

Frankenberry

Barry White

Barry Manilow

You really prefer to have some dead people to run our D? lol

Barry Trotz

Barry Sanders

Barry Melrose

Barry Alvarez

Barry Larkin

Barry Gibb?

Barry Goldwater

Barry Bostwick

Barry Pepper

Barry Sloane

Barry Zito

Barry Levinson

Barry Newman

Barry Van Dyke

Barry Nelson

Barry Mann

Barry John

Barry Sullivan

Ghosts can apply because we've had a cadaver like defense for years!

HTTR!

Would any of you put it past this front office to leak Joe Barry so the fans get up in arms and are happy when they announce Morris as the new d coordinator?

I had a theory morris was the DC all along and the interviews were a smoke screen --- but I've heard rumblings that Jay doesn't want Raheem because when Morris was hired to take over for Jon he fired Jay....

Archived