Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

Jay Gruden might be the worst coach to come through Washington during the Dan Synder era and that says alot.

Not only in his 1st year did he retain a DC that produced horrible results for 4 years prior to his arrival because he was friends with him but as a 1st time HC he decided he didnt need a QB coach and he was going to call his own plays. Parcells couldnt have done that. 

Now Joe Barry as DC!!!! He was one of the worst ever in football during the 2007-2008 seasons. 

Jay Gruden is fat know nothing idiot and shouldnt be the HC of our franchise. This isnt about hooking up your friends with jobs this is about WINNING at all costs. We all know Wade Phillips provided the best chance of that.  I'm hope Scot M kicks him to the curb next year. 

Why.... ? I simply do not understand this hire? What was Jay Gruden thinking? This guy's only stint as a DC was with the Lions and he went 16-0. He does not have a track record at a leadership position. He only got the job in Detroit because he was Marinelli's son in law.

Another guy with Tampa Bay ties..... All I can ask is WHY?

Can anyone tell me what this guy brings to the table?

Holy crap, 16-0? CHAMIONSHIP!

Dammit, underwhelming hire.  Poor resume and has connections to TB. SMH, doesnt Gruden have final say in picking his coaches? If so, then dude has no ability to judge coaching ability, endorsing the previous underachiever and picking a new one.

Dianna Marie Russini ‏@NBCdianna 6m6 minutes ago

Important to point out, Scot McCloughan did not sit in on interviews per sources. This is all Bruce Allen & Jay Gruden #Redskins

And from John Keim's newest article this morning on ESPN: If, as some reports say, Morris and Joe Barry are the two finalists for the job then you can easily look at a direct connection to (once again) the Tampa Bay days. Team president Bruce Allen worked with both there (one reason the Redskins brought Morris on board in 2011) as did coach Jay Gruden. Barry was a linebackers coach with the Buccaneers for a while during this time. Yes, Barry and Morris coached together as well.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/14676/redskins-thoughts-defensive-coordinators?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I'm sick and tired of picking Tampa bay rejects instead of the best person available for these jobs.  Allen has to go!

this guy summed it up perfectly.  Friends helping old friends smh

I would love to see this board after the redskins hired Bill Belichick.

"I can't believe we hired a guy with 36-44 record. He's already a proven LOSER. DISGUSTING"

"The guy was fired twice by the Jets without even coaching a game as head coach! There has to be something wrong with him"

"Another Parcells connection, we've tried that and It fails. This is just Kraft sticking with his old boys club, Belichick has does nothing to deserve this job."

"This is even worse then the Pete Caroll hiring."

"I can't believe we hired a guy with 36-44 record. He's already a proven LOSER. DISGUSTING"

"The guy was fired twice by the Jets without even coaching a game as head coach! There has to be something wrong with him"

"Another Parcells connection, we've tried that and It fails. This is just Kraft sticking with his old boys club, Belichick has does nothing to deserve this job."

36-44 is much different than 7-25 and dead last defense for 2 years.

Meh.    I think we all know the  Washington Redskins will be battling for the #1 pick in 2016.   2016, the year we pick the head coach that hopefully will finally make us a regular playoff team.  2016, the year we find the QB that will be our franchise QB for a decade. 2016, the year of change.

I predict 2-14 or 1-15 or even 0-16 for 2015.  I still also think Jay Gruden will be the first coach fired in 2015.

I think I get it now ... they're pulling the old "George Costanza" routine. It's brilliant! "DO THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU NORMALLY DO" because what you normally do fails epically every time. 

Find a guy with an incredible resume, maybe even a SB victory or two, hire him, watch him suck here. That's been the pattern in the past. 

NOW ... hire a dude no one's ever heard of with an 0-16 record on his resume and watch him shock the world. I say again ... BRILLIANT! These guys know what they're doing. Clearly. 

Great job Gruden, how many more of your Tampa Bay rejects do we have to go through? Wow the guy has an 0-16 on his resume as a d coordinator and we hire him.... can we dig up John McKay and give him a job to? We follow up what appears to be a good hire with this, makes me sick. Being a fan for over 40 years with this team and during the Snyder era nothing they do surprises me. We are a laughingstock with the clowns that call the shots. Wake me up on draft day maybe Scot Mc can make some good decisions....lord knows no one else can.

Try being one of the younger fans who only know the Snyder era, I can vageuly remember my dad celebrating the 91 SB win...pretty sure I was playing Sonic on Sega Genesis when that happened.

Jay Gruden might be the worst coach to come through Washington during the Dan Synder era and that says alot.

Not only in his 1st year did he retain a DC that produced horrible results for 4 years because he was friends with him but as a 1st time HC he decided he didnt need a QB coach and he was going to call his own plays. Parcells couldnt have done that. 

Now Joe Barry as DC!!!! He was one of the worst ever in football during the 2007-2008 seasons. 

Jay Gruden is fat no nothing idiot and shouldnt be the HC of our franchise. I'm hope Scot M kicks him to the curb next year. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bruce pick the DC? I thought he was in charge of that.

There is possibly some truth to this.  That's why I need them to answer my questions and I'll withhold final judgment.

1) Who has Barry developed? If we're going draft heavy we need very good teachers.

2) What excited you about his schemes and philosophy?

3) Is he a good motivator? What makes you think people will rally around him and fight for him?

He could be a guy who got thrown in to the pool much too early and sank, but is now matured and ready to swim and lap the OC's he's going to face.  On the surface though, I don't see why he's an exciting or even interesting choice.

Unless it's a money move and they've all but written 2015 off already.

Meh.    I think we all know the  Washington Redskins will be battling for the #1 pick in 2016.   2016, the year we pick the head coach that hopefully will finally make us a regular playoff team.  2016, the year we find the QB that will be our franchise QB for a decade. 2016, the year of change.

I predict 2-14 or 1-15 or even 0-16 for 2015.  I still also think Jay Gruden will be the first coach fired in 2015.

Oh, we'll find a way to screw up tanking.  We'll find a way to eek out a couple of wins like this year and drop out of the top 3.  This year, it felt like we were the worst team in the league, yet we're sitting here with the 5th overall pick.

Anyone who is surprised by this hasn't been paying attention.  This franchise is a sad joke of epic proportions.  Either Dan, Bruce, et al., are the biggest bunch of dip****s in the history of professional sports, or anyone who was worth a damn had enough sense to stay away.  Either way, haha, the joke's on us.  ****, why don't they just get it over with and change the team colors to creamsicle orange and white. 

I see this hire as a low risk high reward.

We're going to suck again in 2015, so there's not much

The reward will be a complete coaching overhaul in 2016. Maybe this time a real football mind and not a party planner picks the head coach.

the hell with that..we will never be a winner with bruce Allen around!

I think I get it now ... they're pulling the old "George Costanza" routine. It's brilliant! "DO THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU NORMALLY DO" because what you normally do fails epically every time. 

Find a guy with an incredible resume, maybe even a SB victory or two, hire him, watch him suck here. That's been the pattern in the past. 

NOW ... hire a dude no one's ever heard of with an 0-16 record on his resume and watch him shock the world. I say again ... BRILLIANT! These guys know what they're doing. Clearly. 

I enjoyed reading this, at least when we suck I can look back to the George Costanza reference and laugh.

Archived