Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN - Report: Joe Barry to be named Redskins' defensive coordinator

HapHaszard

Excellent.

This is our complete buffoon of a HC showing his incompetent hand to Mac from the get-go.

To everyone that wanted Gruden to get a second year and argued hard for 'continuity' ..... Here is your first reward for that (IMHO) stupidity.

Please don't know moan about Barry when your guy has made his (clueless, 'jobs for the boys') move.

One more year.

Hail.

I'm confident Jay's done after or during 2015 season. At least when Scot fires Jay in 2015, we have a legit reason doing so because Jay picked his own guy.

was the defense the reason the 2008 Lions went O-16.  He was trying to coach on a team built by Matt Millen after all

They gave up 517 points according to pro football reference. They were awful.

Here's his career resume as a coach:

1994-1995
USC
(Graduate Assistant)

1996–1998

Northern Arizona
(Linebackers Coach)

UNLV
(Linebackers Coach)

San Francisco 49ers
(Quality Control Coach)

2001-2006

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
(Linebackers Coach)

2007-2008
Detroit Lions
(Defensive Coordinator)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
(Linebackers Coach)

USC
(Linebackers Coach)

2011-2014

San Diego Chargers
(Linebackers Coach)

2015-present (reportedly)
Washington Redskins
(Defensive Coordinator)

The only, and I mean ONLY reason Joe Barry should have ever been associated with this organization would be as a replacement for KO if he was promoted to DC.  The fact that Barry seems to be super close to being hired is an absolute joke.

Of course, instead, we got it backwards.

Like, I mean, okay, I get that sometimes there are things behind the scenes we can't see that make actions make more sense than they appear, BUT COME ON!  Joe Barry almost certainly can't be one of those guys.

If we wanted to hire an ex-DC who didn't do amazingly but who we expect has learned in the interim, we should have hired Ed Donatell.  At least his defenses were halfway respectable, and he's served under the well respected Vic Fangio.  If anybody would have improved since middling/poor showings, it would have been him.

Joe Barry is a poor man's Ed Donatell, basically.

The sad thing is, IF we do terribly and blow it all up, KO will probably go somewhere else and be a rising star, like a dozen other ex-Redskin front office/coaching individuals who were abused by this org.

I take solace in knowing that Scot isn't involved in this in any way.  In him, I have hope that when the curtain closes on this season, IF it's a bad one, that everyone will get canned and Dan will likely vest all coach hiring powers in Scot.

What the .... this just makes no sense to me. Don't hire lame ducks, just fire the staff now if it's that bad. Don't waste a year with young players under the current staff and a lame duck DC.

This is brutal. Barry as DC??? Freeeeeak me

yeah this is a bad move on the surface.  this dude has A LOT to prove.

Good. Rather have that. Love the people complaining. Like this is the reason we will be bad right... It is not someone we know so its automatically a bad move (because you know the high name guys we bring in has worked out so well).

Let it play out, get more talent on the defense and let's see what happens

If this is true, it's not good. This has "insecure" hire on Gruden's part written all over it in my opinion. If he hired one of the more qualified and renowned available DC's-- especially the ones with head coaching experience-- he'd be paranoid of them knowing more than him about being a HC and would also be worried about them "stepping on his toes". This is obviously speculation on my part, but how else can you explain this asinine hire over the other much more appealing candidates? 

Archived