Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

18 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I love a good goulash. Comfort food is necessary nowadays. 😋

My grocery store sells cans of diced tomatoes with various herbs/veggies. The one I'm using has onion, celery, and green pepper. They have Italian and Mexican diced tomatoes too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, China said:

Made some tuna steaks on the grill tonight.

Those are beautiful. I love good medium tuna.

I sprinkled some chicken strips with Old Bay & ground black pepper, threw em on the Foreman. Toasted sourdough. Melted swiss, bacon. Chopped onion. Fresh broccoli from the bottom of the bin I portioned at work yesterday 😉, steamed in the mic with seasoned salt and pepper. Sauce on the side is what I call Condiment Surprise...today is A1, 57, and Grey Poup. 

20200524_191553.jpg

Edited by skinsmarydu
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, HOF44 said:

That’s a good lookin sammich!  Ii you happen to like Old Bay give JO #2 Seasoning a try.  I did and never went back to Old Bay.

I usually do Old Savannah, went with what I had, wasn' going out.  Thanks. 

I posted in another thread a new dry rub mix I used on the ribs for today: Chinese five spice, and extra onion and garlic powder. They are resting right now, will bake them in my countertop oven. The lowest temp is 200°, they'll be in there a while.

• Like 4

Might as well get this off my chest... Crab meat has such a delicate, sweet flavor. I never understood using Old Bay or similar spices on it.  Those strong flavors too easily overpower the taste of the crab.  This happens especially when picking steamed crabs.  I find myself scraping layers of Old Bay off the shell.

The only good thing from that is it increases beer intake.

I like Old Bay and similar blends in general***, just not slathered on crabs.

*** Great mixed in with flour coating for fried chicken.  Remember English's Chicken on Maryland's Eastern Shore?  Great fried chicken...

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Might as well get this off my chest... Crab meat has such a delicate, sweet flavor. I never understood using Old Bay or similar spices on it.  Those strong flavors too easily overpower the taste of the crab.  This happens especially when picking steamed crabs.  I find myself scraping layers of Old Bay off the shell.

The only good thing from that is it increases beer intake.

I like Old Bay and similar blends in general***, just not slathered on crabs.

*** Great mixed in with flour coating for fried chicken.  Remember English's Chicken on Maryland's Eastern Shore?  Great fried chicken...

I used to mix old bay with tarter sauce for fish and I think it's pretty good with butter on wings.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Try it.  I’ve never known of anyone to go back to Old Bay once they have.  https://www.jospices.com

I keep Old Bay on hand for seasoning seasoning a lot of different food, but I will only steam crabs with J.O.  

I prefer the chunkier texture,  with the rock salt. Old Bay, as everyone who steams crabs should know, is to mealy & clumpy when steamed. 

I just tried some Old Bay hot sauce, and it's legit.

4 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Smoking a chuck roast on the grill today. Made some rolls to go with it. Wife made potato salad & is going to make oven baked onion rings when her sister & BIL get here a bit later. Blackened broccoli on the grill, too. 

We love smoked chuckies.

I usually smoke baked beans, in a pan below the roast and make a batch of caramelized onions to top the sandwich.

• Like 4

This is the strawberry summer cake I mentioned in the Quarantine thread. Plus a link (lots of ads).

Strawberry Summer Cake

• SERVINGS: 8 TO 10

Adapted, only slightly, from Martha Stewart

I recently picked up some barley flour and fell in love with it. We tend to associate whole grain flours with heartiness and heaviness, but this is neither — it’s silky and delicate, like the best cake flour you’ve ever bought, and it has a subtle creamy, nuttiness to it that goes fantastically with berries. This cake works like a dream with 100% all-purpose flour but if you’ve got barley flour around, swapping it in for half the volume is beyond delicious, adding a real depth to a deceptively simple cake.

I am ever-so-slightly on the fence about the sweetness of this cake. I like it, but I wouldn’t hate the batter itself with 2 tablespoons less sugar (i.e. 7/8 cup sugar instead of a whole one). If that’s your inclination, go ahead and dial it back as well. Leave the sugar on top. It contributes to the berries turning into jam.

Note: In 2019, I added a sheet cake version of this to the site.

• 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for pie plate
  • 1 1/2 cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour (can swap 3/4 cup or 94 grams all-purpose flour with 3/4 cup or 75 grams of barley flour, see Note)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon table salt
  • 1 cup (200 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (25 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup (118 ml) milk
  • 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
  • 1 pound (450 grams) strawberries, hulled and halved

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 10-inch pie pan or 9-inch deep-dish pie pan (what I used). I did not test this with a standard 9-inch pie plate but looking at the margin of space leftover in my deep-dish pan after baking the cake, I suspect you’d be safe. 

Updated 6/13/11: This cake does not work in a standard 9-inch pie pan; it will overflow. Big apologies to anyone who learned the hard way! This cake would work, however, in a 9- or 10-inch springform or cake pan. The 10-inch would make a thinner cake than pictured.

Whisk flour or flours, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk and vanilla until just combined. Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.

Pour into prepared pie plate. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer (though I had to overlap a few to get them all in). Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.

Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 minutes to 60 minutes. (Gooey strawberries on the tester are a given.) Let cool in pan on a rack. Cut into wedges. Serve with lightly whipped cream.

Do ahead: Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days, loosely covered, but good luck with that.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2011/05/strawberry-summer-cake/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2