Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Is there a difference between rack of lamb and lamb chops?

I followed a lamb chop recipe about a year and a half ago. Cooked it to the letter. Everyone else loved it but me (I was the only one who was trying it for the first time). Is it just an acquired taste?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I followed a lamb chop recipe about a year and a half ago. Cooked it to the letter. Everyone else loved it but me (I was the only one who was trying it for the first time). Is it just an acquired taste?

Rack of lamb is before you cut it into chops.  Cooks better as a whole piece, as you can see from the perfect medium rare pinkness on those.  That's my understanding anyhow.

Lamb is gamey but that's why it stands up so well to strong flavored sauces.  And crispy lamb fat...mmmmmm.

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 3

I guess it was hard for me because I'm more accustomed to stuff like chicken, fish, turkey, crab, occasional shellfish, beef and pork.

Was a little too wild for me. I cooked mine medium rare on the skillet

Edited by Mr. Sinister

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I guess it was hard for me because I'm more accustomed to stuff like chicken, fish, turkey, crab, occasional shellfish, beef and pork.

The wonderful thing about cooking and, more importantly, eating is the endless variety that's available.  You may find your taste changing as you get older.  Mine certainly has expanded, I was a picky little ****.  

Added: I have no idea how old you are so I may be off base there.  :)

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Your taste buds do change from a variety of reasons. For example, I used to love sea scallops and after my stroke I can't stand them. When making recipes from my mom's recipe box, some things don't taste right. It's pretty weird. So I have certain things I like and I stick to them. Thank goodness I still like Dungeness crab!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Try slow cooking a lamb shoulder next time with some Greek/Middle Eastern spices.....it's heavenly and shouldn't taste gamey either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Wife made lamb a few months ago.........I did not like it at all.  

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

Your taste buds do change from a variety of reasons. For example, I used to love sea scallops and after my stroke I can't stand them. When making recipes from my mom's recipe box, some things don't taste right. It's pretty weird. So I have certain things I like and I stick to them. Thank goodness I still like Dungeness crab!

Yeah, I swore I cooked it wrong, somehow, but everyone else was like, nope, delish.

• Like 1

I really don't like certain foods like cilantro, agruala, stuff like that. I use parsely instead. Bitter foods. I think this is hereditary as my daughter and granddaughter don't like bitter foods either.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 3

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah, I swore I cooked it wrong, somehow, but everyone else was like, nope, delish.

I doubt you cooked it wrong.  Wife made some lamb chops, medium and medium well......I just did not like them at all.  My best friend didn't either, for what it's worth.  I also had some duck wings a while back, thought those were not nearly as good as chicken wings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Been grilling salmon recently, big Atlantic salmon filets. Love it. Use a simple soy sauce, brown sugar, olive oil marinade. Season the salmon with lemon pepper, garlic powder, and salt. I like my fish on the rarer side, so 4-5 minutes each side. With the grill on full heat that is plenty time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got my grill grates today.  Guess I should have looked into this before hand, but it says do not use skillets, stones or foils on top of grill grates.  I rarely use any of those items, but recently purchased a stone specifically for grilling pizza.  Kind of bummed about that, but apparently it can warp the grates.  I guess I will have to keep my other grates handy for when I do that.  I frequently use grill baskets for vegetables, but they have holes - so I'm assuming these will be okay.

EDIT:  I've been thinking about getting an infrared laser thermometer for a while.  Sounds like I need to get one.  Any recommendations for a good albeit not crazy expensive model?

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

On 5/4/2020 at 10:34 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

I really don't like certain foods like cilantro, agruala, stuff like that. I use parsely instead. Bitter foods. I think this is hereditary as my daughter and granddaughter don't like bitter foods either.

Passed down is more likely. 

I dated a lady who was so pallet limited. 

Once we expanded to include the other options... She has the balance of both. 

On 5/6/2020 at 12:12 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Got my grill grates today.  Guess I should have looked into this before hand, but it says do not use skillets, stones or foils on top of grill grates.  I rarely use any of those items, but recently purchased a stone specifically for grilling pizza.  Kind of bummed about that, but apparently it can warp the grates.  I guess I will have to keep my other grates handy for when I do that.  I frequently use grill baskets for vegetables, but they have holes - so I'm assuming these will be okay.

EDIT:  I've been thinking about getting an infrared laser thermometer for a while.  Sounds like I need to get one.  Any recommendations for a good albeit not crazy expensive model?

No stone needed.

Flip the grates over to the flat side, and grill the pizza.

I get all my thermometers at Thermoworks.  They have great products and service.  I purchased all of my thermometers and timers from them, but not an infrared. 

I'll get one, eventually,  but have never really "needed" one. When I do, I'll buy it from them.

As far as decent thermometers go, you pretty much get what you pay for.  Trust me on that.  They have  best instant read thermometer made, (IMHO). The Thermapen Mk4. If you don't have one, get one. I can't recommend it highly enough.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Infrareds

Hope this helps

On 5/4/2020 at 9:51 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

Lamb really needs to be served rare.

It will still have that gamey taste, but, to me, that's what makes it taste so good.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

No stone needed.

Flip the grates over to the flat side, and grill the pizza.

I get all my thermometers at Thermoworks.  They have great products and service.  I purchased all of my thermometers and timers from them, but not an infrared. 

I'll get one, eventually,  but have never really "needed" one. When I do, I'll buy it from them.

Thanks, it didn’t cross my mind to flip them over and use the flat side for pizza vs. the stone.  Did you season the flat side of your grates as well?  

As for the thermometer, I actually have an MK4, that I’m pretty sure I purchased upon recommendation here a year or two ago.  

My interest in a surface thermometer is more based on determining how hot the grates are, in order to gage two zone  cooking and all that.  It’s not important enough to me to spend a ton on it, just thought it would be cool and merely another item to burn money on while bored in quarantine.   But I gather it would lose its luster to me pretty fast and end up in the junk drawer cemetery.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Thanks, it didn’t cross my mind to flip them over and use the flat side for pizza vs. the stone.  Did you season the flat side of your grates as well?  

As for the thermometer, I actually have an MK4, that I’m pretty sure I purchased upon recommendation here a year or two ago.  

My interest in a surface thermometer is more based on determining how hot the grates are, in order to gage two zone  cooking and all that.  It’s not important enough to me to spend a ton on it, just thought it would be cool and merely another item to burn money on while bored in quarantine.   But I gather it would lose its luster to me pretty fast and end up in the junk drawer 

Yes, I seasoned the flat side too.

I own a set for my kettle too and , after a few years, I found that I was using the flat, (griddle), side at least half the time.

So...for the gasser, my setup is 4 panels and one extender.  2 flat side up and the other two rails up.

It's real convenient.  I grill fish, flesh side down on the rails, then finish them off, skin side down, on the griddle side.    French toast is off the charts. Start it off on the griddle side, then finish it off on the grill side.   

Sometimes I toss wood chips, in the valleys between the rails,(but not under the food).  The smokes adds another dimension to the aforementioned French toast.

The Grillgrates website is a great resource, with cooking techniques and recipes.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Just put them in and seasoned them up with the onion, and then a light spritz of avocado oil.  I’m going to flip them tomorrow and hit the flat side.  Got my hand close and the heat was much more intense than my cast iron grates.

Unfortunately there wasn’t a ribeye to be found anywhere today.  Not sure what to put on here first as the only truly fatty meat I have is ground beef for burgers.

59A2FDAD-2D27-423D-9A51-FCDE902153A8.jpeg

D385F2B0-3516-4C1B-8692-C3FDB27D852C.jpeg

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2