Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Just now, Mooka said:

I make desert avocados sometimes.

You just drizzle caramel on top and sprinkle some rock salt.

You should try or make some for your wife. Just 3 ingredients: Avos, Sugar, Salt

Heh, "Wife"

For me, that sounds about as likely as the Skins winning another SB :ols:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

One of these on Craigslist for $800. Never heard of it - Weber Ranch Kettle 37" 

That's a $1,400.00 grill, new.

Even as Weber kettle obsessed as I am, I've never really wanted one. Waste of charcoal, but I imagine that it would be great for a crowd.

I think it's the same model that they use at the Weber restaurant.

Now..if I came across one, on the cheap, I'd buy it. 😁

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Out of all that the sous vide honey carrots caught my eye!! That sounds awesome. 

It's crazy easy, and they're crazy good.  Just peel some carrots,  cut them in 2"-3" chunks, (or use baby carrots).

In a small bowl, crack some salt over a tbsp of honey, mix it up, pour it over the carrots in a ziploc, with a couple large pats of butter, then let 'em circulate for a hour, at 183°.

After they're done, you can sprinkle cumin powder, ancho chile powder, etc.   Make sure you don't cook them too long,  or they can get mushy.  When you put them in the bag, be sure to arrange them in a single layer.

• Thanks 1

Put some boneless chicken thighs in a souvlaki marinade last night.  Just grilled them on the grill grates - grill side up and cooked the flatbread on the flat top side with a little olive oil.  Made an arugala, cucumber, tomato and red onion salad to put on top.  The color you get from the Grill Grates, even with chicken in a wet marinade is just the best you are going to get.  You can hear the excess marinade sizzling in the valleys of the grates, leading to incredibly moist chicken.  Too busy to take pics tonight but damn near everything that comes off of there is pic worthy.

• Like 4

for smoking meats, what do you guys recommend? Traeger? Big Green Egg? Oklahoma Joe's Offset Smoker?

I made fun of Kirk for getting the Traeger Timberline 850 for his OL last year, but that looks like a pretty good model. I don't know much about the difference between pellet vs offset

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Put some boneless chicken thighs in a souvlaki marinade last night.  Just grilled them on the grill grates - grill side up and cooked the flatbread on the flat top side with a little olive oil.  Made an arugala, cucumber, tomato and red onion salad to put on top.  The color you get from the Grill Grates, even with chicken in a wet marinade is just the best you are going to get.  You can hear the excess marinade sizzling in the valleys of the grates, leading to incredibly moist chicken.  Too busy to take pics tonight but damn near everything that comes off of there is pic worthy.

When I read that I thought the salad would have feta in it to pair with the souvlaki, but it sounds delicious regardless.

5 minutes ago, China said:

When I read that I thought the salad would have feta in it to pair with the souvlaki, but it sounds delicious regardless.

No feta in the salad but my wife had some crumbled feta on hers.  The boy and I aren’t big on feta.

I used lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Olive oil, oregano, dill, grated garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper on the salad.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

for smoking meats, what do you guys recommend? Traeger? Big Green Egg? Oklahoma Joe's Offset Smoker?

I made fun of Kirk for getting the Traeger Timberline 850 for his OL last year, but that looks like a pretty good model. I don't know much about the difference between pellet vs offset

I'm sorry to laugh but I love this post..might be the pabst talking but I like it...W.E.B.E.R

Interesting article about the beef shortage, particularly brisket. If you're a big beef eater be aware prices will continue to go up. 

Last week, the USDA reported that 1.55 million hogs were processed, compared with 2.37 million hogs the same week last year. There are four racks of ribs (two baby backs and two spares) in every hog, so that represents 3.28 million fewer racks of ribs on the market in a single week. And as for brisket? Last week, 425,000 cattle were processed, down from 605,000 cattle the previous year, meaning a difference of 360,000 briskets.

Those numbers are bad enough, but then consider the huge market for ground beef as consumer demand shifts from steaks at fine dining restaurant to drive-through burgers and bulk buying at grocery stores (more on the challenges of these two distinct supply chains later). When the demand can’t be met for ground beef (just try to order a triple cheeseburger at Wendy’s), the packers are going to grind briskets long before they reach for expensive tenderloins and ribeyes.

The big processors supply both the restaurant and retail supply chains, but each acts as a funnel, and the two rarely cross. The “fat beef” that Thuss described earlier is reserved mostly for restaurants, which is funneled through distributors. That’s where the Prime grade beef primarily goes. The Choice and Select beef is funneled through the retail supply chain, which goes to grocery stores. The majority of grocery customers aren’t usually willing to pay a premium for the best quality steaks, and purchase far more ground beef than steaks anyway.

In a normal consumer environment, there’s a good mix between retail and restaurant customers for the beef supply. Today, retail sales for beef are far outweighing restaurant sales, and the restaurant sales have been dominated by a demand for ground beef at fast-food drive-throughs and brisket at barbecue joints. Steaks from fat beef that usually go for a premium are the odd man out. As Thuss explains it, “We regressed consumer preference thirty years overnight,” when the high-end restaurants closed. “Our market shocks are supply based,” he says, but what we’re seeing today is a shock from the consumer demand side, which never happens this rapidly.

Just look more closely at the ground beef from the grocery store to see the effects. Ground beef is usually made from lean cattle and older animals that wouldn’t make for great steaks because the beef is so lean. Now the fat cattle are getting ground up as well. There is an allowable range for beef that’s labeled 90 percent lean, so don’t be surprised to find some extra fat in your next package from the store. I buy 80 percent lean for my burgers at home, but I noticed the USDA is now tracking sales of 73 percent lean beef (which is 27 percent fat). When I mention that to Thuss, he explains, “Seventy-three is the maximum allowable fat content that you can sell in ground beef under U.S. law and still call it ground beef.” All that is to say that those fat cattle that usually fetch a premium from the beef processors are rapidly dropping in value. “A fat cow right now in a box is worth well over twice what it is standing up in a pen,” Thuss says, but that difference in value is normally 20 percent. From the perspective of the live beef market, Thuss believes, “We’re not at the bottom yet. We’re still on our way down.”

Regardless, pitmasters will likely have to become less selective when it comes to the briskets they smoke. Robby Austin, from Ben E. Keith, expects a surge of Prime beef on the market as the feedlots are slowly emptied of their overfed cattle—and those briskets will be huge. Once the feedlot stock has dwindled, ranchers who have held out for a good price for live cattle will reenter the market with larger animals that have been exclusively fed on grass. Adding intramuscular fat with grain in the feedlots (necessary to produce Prime grade beef) will be a challenge before the animals have reached slaughter weight, so expect the amount of Prime beef being processed to decrease later this year.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/where-have-all-briskets-gone/

Some chicken thighs in basil pesto, olive oil, ground mustard, salt and pepper 

chicken breasts in an herb and garlic marinade

green/red peppers, zucchini, tomatoes 

and diced red potatoes inside on the stove

wasnt a big fan of the veggies smoked but ran out of propane so tried it out

863C0425-21FC-4A50-BD14-D61EC25E4991.jpeg

• Like 6

I’ve had a pot roast in the Crock since 2:30.  I’m getting a little paunchy, so low-carb this time, no potatoes.

Just carrots, onions, stock, wine and thyme.  

House smells amazing and I’m starving...but it needs another hour or so in the pot.

• Like 4