Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just put them in and seasoned them up with the onion, and then a light spritz of avocado oil.  I’m going to flip them tomorrow and hit the flat side.  Got my hand close and the heat was much more intense than my cast iron grates.

Unfortunately there wasn’t a ribeye to be found anywhere today.  Not sure what to put on here first as the only truly fatty meat I have is ground beef for burgers.

Nice!

Burgers will work well.

Chicken thighs work really well for breaking them in.  Bacon should work too.

It's crazy how much hotter the grill runs with them.  An unintended consequence of that is that you'll use less propane.

It looks like your burners run from front to back,  (mine run from left to right).

If that's the case, you will need to separate the panels, by removing one of the grates, probably the expansion grate, to accommodate indirect grilling. That's because they spread the heat evenly when connected,  even if the burners aren't all lit.

If you leave the grates connected,  the heat will be spread evenly acrosss them.  With your configuration,  separate the grates, and you can fire up one side and indirect grill on the other.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 8:24 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Nice!

Burgers will work well.

Chicken thighs work really well for breaking them in.  Bacon should work too.

It's crazy how much hotter the grill runs with them.  An unintended consequence of that is that you'll use less propane.

It looks like your burners run from front to back,  (mine run from left to right).

If that's the case, you will need to separate the panels, by removing one of the grates, probably the expansion grate, to accommodate indirect grilling. That's because they spread the heat evenly when connected,  even if the burners aren't all lit.

If you leave the grates connected,  the heat will be spread evenly acrosss them.  With your configuration,  separate the grates, and you can fire up one side and indirect grill on the other.

Are you using your grillgrates on your smoker when smoking meats/fish or are these primarily used for searing foods? 

We visited my folks for the first time scince the superbowl..for mothers day..chilled in the backyard while pops grilled some steaks and ribs..they introduced us to a new bbq sauce that was wayyyyy good..we each had about ten beers and megan had a couple shots of whiskey..we had a good time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Are you using your grillgrates on your smoker when smoking meats/fish or are these primarily used for searing foods? 

I use them for grilling everything.

As far as grilling,  they serve the same purpose as conventional grates, but are more versatile and efficient. Grills run much hotter than they do with conventional grates,  so you have to adjust the temps accordingly.

To answer your question, I remove the Grillgrates when smoking.  I guess I could leave them in, but I really pack it with charcoal and wood chunks for long smokes, and the Grillgrate would get in the way.   

Note that I have a custom set made especially for the Weber Kettle, that fits over the Slow n Sear insert.   First pic is back when I first bought, a few years ago. The 2nd pic is the same grate, just very well-seasoned after a lot of use.  

I was using them so often, and happy with the results,  which is why I replaced the conventional grates on the gasser with the Grillgrates.

FB_IMG_1563552870090.jpg

20200408_134104.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 1

We had venison stew tonight, with sweet potatoes, redskin and purple potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc.  Seasoned with rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, garlic, onion, worcestershire sauce, red wine.

• Like 5

I've got some chicken and skirt steaks marinading along with some onions, bell peppers and poblanos for fajitas on the gril grates tonight.  Fresh made guac in the fridge. Thinking I'm going to go 4 grill grates up and 2 flat side for the fajita veggies vs. a grill basket I normally use for that.  I'm not sure if its quarantine, getting old or a combination of the both that has me excited for this already.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I've got some chicken and skirt steaks marinading along with some onions, bell peppers and poblanos for fajitas on the gril grates tonight.  Fresh made guac in the fridge. Thinking I'm going to go 4 grill grates up and 2 flat side for the fajita veggies vs. a grill basket I normally use for that.  I'm not sure if its quarantine, getting old or a combination of the both that has me excited for this already.

That sounds Awesome.  The other day I did a salmon filet in puff pastry with cream cheese and homemade pesto.  It was amazingly good and really easy.  

MVIMG_20200506_182709.jpg

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

LOL ... yeah, doing the same type of food prep with the excitement on this end, too. It's the highlight of the day for me: planning, prepping, cooking. Wife loves it cause she just asks "what's for dinner?" every night. I try to have an appetizer for dinner so we can sit on the deck/patio, listen to music & sip a ****tail.

I made my first spring rolls last night with bean thread, raw spinach & shrimp. I forgot I had the rice wrappers & saw them when I was digging around for something else. They turned out pretty good. I'm going to scour the net to find some other options for the rice wrappers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

LOL ... yeah, doing the same type of food prep with the excitement on this end, too. It's the highlight of the day for me: planning, prepping, cooking.

This.  It's literally all I have to look forward to.  Because the moment I get done working, the wife will be dragging my fatass to do some more beachbody workouts...oh joy!

• Haha 4

Did a pork tenderloin coated in basil pesto, Italian dressing, paprika, salt and pepper.  Cooked to about 145-150, tender and juicy

BBBC3FC6-6184-4C58-938C-EE5A0EE0856B.jpeg

have a pork butt sitting now with a dry rub blend and injected with apple cider vinegar, butter and salt

3EAEF48D-E1DE-4C92-ADA2-EF7C3B675F64.jpeg

71D9F7B4-D7D3-47CA-BDF6-3C26A2AFA4C4.jpeg

FFD7C7BD-6FB8-4D05-908C-49BB7D05BDFF.jpeg

Edited by steve09ru
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I'm having a pork chop marinated in mojo Criollo. I'm going to try something different:  creamed corn hot cakes. I have some pancake mix and a can of creamed corn. I have to figure out the proportions of each. Wish me luck!

I'm trying to think of this, & it might work better with regular corn, drained. I think the pancake mix is gonna crash the creamed corn party...let me know! 

• Like 1

@Skinsfan1311 You mentioned cooking pizza on the flat side of the grillgrate.  Any tips for this?  I just made some dough and plan to grill pizza this evening.  There isn't much online about it, outside of using already made storebought like crusts vs. fresh dough.  I did see something on a forum about keeping the heat low, which sounds counter productive to me, but maybe the grates get too hot and burn the bottom?

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@Skinsfan1311 You mentioned cooking pizza on the flat side of the grillgrate.  Any tips for this?  I just made some dough and plan to grill pizza this evening.  There isn't much online about it, outside of using already made storebought like crusts vs. fresh dough.  I did see something on a forum about keeping the heat low, which sounds counter productive to me, but maybe the grates get too hot and burn the bottom?

I'm actually cooking one tonight, too. I haven't cooked them on a grill grate. I use a stone (used in kilns) to cook them. The stone is pretty nasty so I put course corn meal on parchment paper & then put the pizza on top of that. Grill gets to 600 degrees put it on the grill for 4-5 minutes. Done. 

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I haven't grilled a pizza in years, and never since I got the grates for the gasser. I suggest the Grillgrates website.  They have recipes for pizza. We rarely eat it.  The only bread-type food I've grilled is French toast, which is very good, especially when you sprinkle some hickory wood chips between the rails. I start it off on the flat side, then finish them off on the rails, just to give it those pretty sear marks.

That being said, the lower heat setting makes sense, because gas grills run much hotter with them. I'm talking 200°-300° hotter.

5 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I haven't grilled a pizza in years, and never since I got the grates for the gasser. I suggest the Grillgrates website.  They have recipes for pizza. We rarely eat it.  The only bread-type food I've grilled is French toast, which is very good, especially when you sprinkle some hickory wood chips between the rails. I start it off on the flat side, then finish them off on the rails, just to give it those pretty sear marks.

That being said, the lower heat setting makes sense, because gas grills run much hotter with them. I'm talking 200°-300° hotter.

The only recipes they had on there were for premade crusts, not fresh dough.  I went medium to account for the fresh dough, and while the crust was crisp, I like more char.  I think I’ll go med high next time for sure.

8BD2B8DE-1A47-44EA-BF01-04AFA3CE33F8.jpeg

2A9F4F14-0F41-4A5E-8477-072F925D7DD2.jpeg

• Like 5