Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Somewhere, @Kosher Haminquired about my grill, I said I had a Foreman. 🤣 (I actually have a brand new portable charcoal, never been used, too late for that now...whoever will pay for the shipping can have it. )

Well, I checked out the Foreman, and it's trash. So I braved Walmart for a new one today. 

Copper-infused, for $15. A happy woman, I am. 

• Like 3

I went shopping yesterday, got some small sirloin steaks & chicken tenderloins, so I broke out the food saver & got them all vacuum sealed. (I'm marinating one for dinner.) Chopped a fresh salad. Potato cakes (frozen, toaster oven, pretty good actually) and black eyed peas. 

• Like 5

Was someone here talking about GrillGrates a while back?

I’ve been eying a set for my Genesis 2.  Which I love, outside of the fact that the grates take a while to get hot and can be hit or miss at times with cool spots.  I’m curious if the Grill Grates truly even the heat and get hotter, faster.  I’m also intrigued by the ability to flip them over and use as a griddle.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve been eying a set for my Genesis 2.  Which I love, outside of the fact that the grates take a while to get hot and can be hit or miss at times with cool spots.  I’m curious if the Grill Grates truly even the heat and get hotter, faster.  I’m also intrigued by the ability to flip them over and use as a griddle.

Not sure if you have seen this review

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yes, they work as advertised.  

I replaced the grates on my old Silver Genesis B, with a complete set of Grillgrates. I wish I had done this years ago. It's a real game-changer.

Even heating,(no hot-spots), no flare-ups and you save propane, because the grill runs hotter, so you can use lower settings.  Everything is easier to grill.

Here's my setup.  I had to use up some bread and milk, so I made French toast on it this morning.

I have them for my kettles too.

20200412_105949.jpg

20200502_093148.jpg

20200502_092858.jpg

20200408_134104.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@Skinsfan1311I like everything you have to say about them.  Placing my order today.

You'll love them.

Here's a helpful tip, for seasoning them. Get them hot, cut an onion in half, jab the onion with a 2-pronged fork, and rub the cut side down on the rails.  There's some chemical in onions, that helps create a non stick surface. I don't know the science behind it, but it works.  

In the first pic, that's what I did. The brown color is from the cut onion. If you zoom on the pic, you can see where I did the rails too. Grill fatty foods the first couple of cooks, to help them along. The first thing I grilled were skin-on chicken thighs. Their site is real informative too.

Enjoy!

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 4

Grillin some steak tips and bratwurst tonight, with some mushrooms, onions and tomatoes and some fried potatoes to go with it.

I'm totally addicted to charcoal now, and hardwood only, I not only love the results but I enjoy the entire process. 

I have to be in one hell of a hurry or that propane side of the grill just sits and rusts.

20200502_171538.jpg

20200502_175449.jpg

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 6

My daughter was bugging me to make dumplings so we made homemade pork and cabbage dumplings for the first time.  Turned out great, and the kids wolfed them down.

Filling:

LfazJB6.jpg

Dumplings (pre-cooking):

5alf33U.jpg?1

• Like 10

Miss me? :P most of our cooking has been the “easy because kids” variety the last week, but today I smokes my first pork butt.  Thanks @Skinsfan1311 for the tips.  I dry brined it the night before, and then put a run on it this morning and threw it in the smoker. 

1E6EB408-0AD5-4C84-818C-2C7E915287F0.thumb.jpeg.258337ea3ad236b6d8954ed84af35615.jpegC652FCA5-4498-49F5-A233-DE75AA19971B.thumb.jpeg.057dd53476eed6e9c48eaef7eeb1d60b.jpeg

did hit a stall, but just let it work itself through it.  Was in no hurry.  

If you look at it with a good scowl, it falls apart perfectly.  Damn tasty.  

on another note, @China did you make or buy the wrappers? Those look spectacular, and my daughter LOVES dumplings.  Thinking I should learn how to make them.  

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Miss me? :P most of our cooking has been the “easy because kids” variety the last week, but today I smokes my first pork butt.  Thanks @Skinsfan1311 for the tips.  I dry brined it the night before, and then put a run on it this morning and threw it in the smoker. 

on another note, @China did you make or buy the wrappers? Those look spectacular, and my daughter LOVES dumplings.  Thinking I should learn how to make them.  

I bought the wrappers (that's the circular thing to the left of the filling in the first pic).  I'm too lazy to make my own.  And the frozen ones you buy taste good anyway.

Edited by China
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yes, they work as advertised.  

I replaced the grates on my old Silver Genesis B, with a complete set of Grillgrates. I wish I had done this years ago. It's a real game-changer.

Even heating,(no hot-spots), no flare-ups and you save propane, because the grill runs hotter, so you can use lower settings.  Everything is easier to grill.

Here's my setup.  I had to use up some bread and milk, so I made French toast on it this morning.

I have them for my kettles too.

OK, you've convinced me (after watching some video reviews as well).  I just ordered a set.  I was looking to replace the grates on my Weber Genesis anyway, so we'll see how these work out.

• Like 3

PS: I got a “The Meater” Bluetooth enabled meat thermometer which registers the ambient and inside meat temperature and you can check it on your phone.  My old meat thermometer died, so I needed a new one.  

It also helps predict cooking time (though it was completely thrown off by the stall) and resting time.  

I think it worked rather well.  I got the +, and the range was about the downstairs of my house.  There are ways to extend the range and even check over WiFi but I didn’t feel the need to pay for those.  

Anyway, I liked it.  I wouldn’t have replaced my old o e if it hadn’t broken.  But it did. so, eh, it was worth it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Looks great!

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

Looks great!

2 things I will change next time: I think I had too much smoke.  I like smoke flavor but it was a touch overpowering.  

Also, I think I’ll go with a little sweeter rub.  It was a little salty because of the dry brine.  Need some sweetness to cut the salty.  

the good thing about trial and error is it’s good anyway and you get to eat the trials.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You'll love them.

Here's a helpful tip, for seasoning them. Get them hot, cut an onion in half, jab the onion with a 2-pronged fork, and rub the cut side down on the rails.  There's some chemical in onions, that helps create a non stick surface. I don't know the science behind it, but it works.  

In the first pic, that's what I did. The brown color is from the cut onion. If you zoom on the pic, you can see where I did the rails too. Grill fatty foods the first couple of cooks, to help them along. The first thing I grilled were skin-on chicken thighs. Their site is real informative too.

Enjoy!

Just ordered them.  I found a 10% off code online, and then they hit me with the $19.95 shipping.  Salty about that, because for whatever reason, no matter what type of deal I get on something, I loathe paying for shipping.  Not salty enough to not make the purchase though.  Can’t get here soon enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

2 things I will change next time: I think I had too much smoke.  I like smoke flavor but it was a touch overpowering.  

Also, I think I’ll go with a little sweeter rub.  It was a little salty because of the dry brine.  Need some sweetness to cut the salty.  

the good thing about trial and error is it’s good anyway and you get to eat the trials.  

Good call.

A little smoke goes a long way. My fuel is charcoal, and only 3-4  small chunks of smoking wood..

I use 1/2 tsp of Kosher salt per lb of meat. 

I also use a salt-free Memphis style rub, which has a little sweetness to it. Meatheads Memphis Dust recipe on the Amazing ribs website is a good one.

11 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Good call.

A little smoke goes a long way. My fuel is charcoal, and only 3-4  small chunks of smoking wood..

I use 1/2 tsp of Kosher salt per lb of meat. 

I also use a salt-free Memphis style rub, which has a little sweetness to it. Meatheads Memphis Dust recipe on the Amazing ribs website is a good one.

I used a salt free rub.  But had to kindof make some with whatever we had in the pantry for spices because of our wonderful life situation.  And we didn’t really have enough of some of the things I wanted.  Oh well. First world covid problem. 

• Like 1

Wasn't sure where to go with this..probably should be in the drinking thread..but I'm grilling too lol..ribs..I've posted a pic before..same thing different day..but I'm getting kinda drunk doing gardening...just trimmed my raspberry bush... lol shoulda whore gloves..I'll be picking thorns for hours dooohhhh

• Haha 1

Now that's a propane cover!...way to go skinsfan1311!!

Ribs are done..gardening is done..almost a 6 pack down..waiting for the wife to get home where she'll start on her single barreled Jack..time to roast one while waiting while watching the office hehehe..we both have tommorow off..dont worry lol

Edited by bakedtater1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1