Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

47 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

skin side up and legs pointed towards the heat. 

Is this the famous beer can chicken preparation which I haven't tried?  You stick a beer can in the chicken, then point it legs down, and cook it?  

That is the only way I can think of getting the legs down towards the heat...

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I really prefer them.  

They've been on sale at Giant.  I bought two racks last week and prepared them with a maple mustard glaze.  I got two more this week that I think I'll do with just a standard BBQ sauce.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, China said:

They've been on sale at Giant.  I bought two racks last week and prepared them with a maple mustard glaze.  I got two more this week that I think I'll do with just a standard BBQ sauce.

If you have a smoker or ability to cook on low heat on a grill, the 3-2-1 style ribs where you smoke for 3 hours, wrap in foil with a liquid (apple juice works well) then finish for an hour with BBQ sauce is just about the best think you ever ate. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If you have a smoker or ability to cook on low heat on a grill, the 3-2-1 style ribs where you smoke for 3 hours, wrap in foil with a liquid (apple juice works well) then finish for an hour with BBQ sauce is just about the best think you ever ate. 

Agreed!

Mrs Skinsfans will only let me make 3-2-1 ribs. The rib pic that I posted earlier, were 3-2-1.

Before wrapping,  I smear a dab of bacon grease, hot pepper jelly, a very light sprinkle of brown sugar, on the foil,  then put them meat side down in the foil,  with a little apple juice.  

They're always tender.  When baby backs go on sale, I change it up to 2-2-1 and sauce them lightly when finishing up that last hour.

I prefer St. Louis style, but baby backs are great for a crowd, especially when you're serving a lot of food.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Agreed!

Mrs Skinsfans will only let me make 3-2-1 ribs. The rib pic that I posted earlier, were 3-2-1.

Before wrapping,  I smear a dab of bacon grease, hot pepper jelly, a very light sprinkle of brown sugar, on the foil,  then put them meat side down in the foil,  with a little apple juice.  

They're always tender.  When baby backs go on sale, I change it up to 2-2-1 and sauce them lightly when finishing up that last hour.

I prefer St. Louis style, but baby backs are great for a crowd, especially when you're serving a lot of food.

Yeah, I use brown sugar, butter, and apple juice or cider for the braise.  

always tender.  A good hard scowl tends to get the meat to fall off the bone...

• Like 3

Speaking of french toast, any tips?

I've made french toast numerous times and it always tastes good, but I can never seem to get the bread to stay fluffy, it's like it wants to deflate in the middle.  I always read that you should let the bread soak a good bit but that only makes this problem worse.  I made some a few weeks ago with a loaf of brioche, let it soak for about 20 seconds on each side, came out flavorful, but didn't look how I'd like it to.  

One thing I haven't done, but probably should is to let the bread dry out overnight, but there is just something about leaving unwrapped bread out overnight that doesn't jive with me.

Also, temp in the pan is a finicky thing because I want that golden brown color and 'crust' but also don't want it to burn.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

https://www.bonappetit.com/video/series/handcrafted

TV Series on how to butcher an entire [cow/pig/lamb/tuna] and also how to make pasta and soba noodles.  

49 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I've made french toast numerous times and it always tastes good, but I can never seem to get the bread to stay fluffy, it's like it wants to deflate in the middle.  I always read that you should let the bread soak a good bit but that only makes this problem worse.  I made some a few weeks ago with a loaf of brioche, let it soak for about 20 seconds on each side, came out flavorful, but didn't look how I'd like it to.  

One thing I haven't done, but probably should is to let the bread dry out overnight, but there is just something about leaving unwrapped bread out overnight that doesn't jive with me.

Also, temp in the pan is a finicky thing because I want that golden brown color and 'crust' but also don't want it to burn.

Yea, you gotta use bread that is just a little bit stale.  And yea, let the bread soak in the batter, but also let it drain on a rack for a few minutes before you put it in the pan so it isn't overly batter-logged. 

If that doesn't work, you might also try cooking it in the pan just to get the outside the color you want it, then stick it in a medium-hot oven (like 350) for 5-8 minutes to get the inside done.  

• Like 2

Re: French toast 

I get the pan good & hot with just a little vegetable oil spray while I'm scrambling the eggs & soaking the first slice. I keep it on about 7 throughout (gas stove). Always comes out awesome. Butter, syrup & cinnamon to taste. I like more butter, less syrup. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Is this the famous beer can chicken preparation which I haven't tried?  You stick a beer can in the chicken, then point it legs down, and cook it?  

That is the only way I can think of getting the legs down towards the heat...

No.

If you're cooking indirect, and the heat source is off to one side, (like it is on my kettle), point the leg-side of the bird towards the heat.    

I haven't done beer can chicken in years.  It's a waste of time and beer.   It doesn't add flavor or moisture, but it does look cool....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Bread sitting out and getting stale back in the day is pretty much why things like French toast, bread stuffing, croutons and bread pudding exist.

Does it feel unsafe to you to leave it out, or more like wasteful?

8 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

Does it feel unsafe to you to leave it out, or more like wasteful?

More like "l don't want the cats to get to it..."😽

12 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

He really can't believe it's not butter

Thank you sooo much! 

IMG_7723.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

Use French bread.  It stands up to the egg much better than sandwich bread.  I put a dash of vanilla, a pinch of nutmeg and half a teaspoon of sugar in with egg.  The sugar makes it more crisp and it browns up better.

Great post.

The nutmeg is vital.

After a couple of days, if we have any crusty bread left over, Mrs Skinsfan makes croutons. and I make French toast. My favorite is probably any, crusty, sourdough loaf.

FWIW,  it's off the charts on the grill, with a touch of smoke. 

6 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

Use French bread.  It stands up to the egg much better than sandwich bread.  I put a dash of vanilla, a pinch of nutmeg and half a teaspoon of sugar in with egg.  The sugar makes it more crisp and it browns up better.

Great post.

The nutmeg is vital.

After a couple of days, if we have any crusty bread left over, Mrs Skinsfan makes croutons. and I make French toast. My favorite is probably any, crusty, sourdough loaf.

FWIW,  it's off the charts on the grill, with a touch of smoke. 

• Thanks 1