Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Puddings. Ranked.

1. Banana

2-45.  whatever

Although technically not pudding, I would rate Chocolate Mousse and Pots de Creme au Chocolate above those.  I don't like bananas so banana pudding would be at the bottom of my list.  Give me a good butterscotch pudding instead.

• Like 1

Prepping ahead of time for the 4th with the family this weekend.  I bought a 10lb pork butt, at Harris Teeter for $0.99 lb, and had the butcher cut it in half.  They only took 8 hours. Average cook temp was 240° and pulled them when probe tender. One at 201° and the other at 198°

They'll rest for an hour, or two, then I'll pull them, vacuum seal, and freeze.  I'll thaw them in the fridge, and reheat the sealed bags in simmering water. Best way to reheat pulled pork, IMHO.  Tastes just like it came off the smoker.

The soft crabs sloughed last night, and they're in the freezer now. Can't wait to dig in to 'em!

20200629_170847.jpg

20200629_133334.jpg

• Like 9

After traveling to Alabama for work and experiencing the wonders of white bbq sauce, it's become my go-to on briskets. I love the vinegar/mayo combination. I usually go back and forth on the white sauce and a KC BBQ sauce or Georgia Gold Mustard sauce.

MeatMitch makes the best KC BBQ sauce IMO

Jim N Nick's makes the best white sauce I've had...I use it to make tuna fish sometimes in place of mayo since it's perfection

Amazon.com : Jim 'N Nicks World Famous White Sauce 12oz (Pack of 2 ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 5:25 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Prepping ahead of time for the 4th with the family this weekend.  I bought a 10lb pork butt, at Harris Teeter for $0.99 lb, and had the butcher cut it in half.  They only took 8 hours. Average cook temp was 240° and pulled them when probe tender. One at 201° and the other at 198°

I'll be doing a 7-lb, bone-in shoulder on Friday. I'll have to just do smaller portions in a pot with a little water to reheat. 

• Like 3

On 6/30/2020 at 12:11 PM, Barry.Randolphe said:

MeatMitch makes the best KC BBQ sauce IMO

Jim N Nick's makes the best white sauce I've had...I use it to make tuna fish sometimes in place of mayo since it's perfection

MeatMitch really is the best. KC is only a 2 hr drive from me and his spot, Char Bar, is one of my favorite BBQ places on the planet. Very underrated KC restaurant. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

MeatMitch really is the best. KC is only a 2 hr drive from me and his spot, Char Bar, is one of my favorite BBQ places on the planet. Very underrated KC restaurant. 

This stuff is liquid crack.

Maurices Southern Gold BBQ Sauce Original

• Like 2

Question for all you meat smokers out there: finally took the plunge and bought a decent electric (don't judge, it's my gateway :) ) smoker. Have had a lot of success in my first smokes doing pork tenderloins, chicken thighs, etc. The other day I said, hey, let's up the game and try a smaller pork butt. Did about 3 lbs. of butt and let it go at 225 for around four hours. The instructions I read were for a 8-10, so I figured a quarter of the time right? Wrong. After four hours I was only looking at 90 degrees internal temp. What did I do wrong? Thanks for any advice!

10 minutes ago, TheMalcolmConnection said:

Question for all you meat smokers out there: finally took the plunge and bought a decent electric (don't judge, it's my gateway :) ) smoker. Have had a lot of success in my first smokes doing pork tenderloins, chicken thighs, etc. The other day I said, hey, let's up the game and try a smaller pork butt. Did about 3 lbs. of butt and let it go at 225 for around four hours. The instructions I read were for a 8-10, so I figured a quarter of the time right? Wrong. After four hours I was only looking at 90 degrees internal temp. What did I do wrong? Thanks for any advice!

Generally I'd say to plan 1.5 hours per pound at 225 degrees. BUT, I almost always plan 5-6 hours for a 3 lb pork butt and hope it's done in 4.5 hrs. If it's done earlier, I wrap it in foil & a large towel & place it inside a cooler until I'm ready to eat. 

What did you use to check the smoker temp? I've never used an electric smoker/grill so I don't know how accurate the built in thermometer is. I NEVER use the grill thermometer as a guide for the grill temp (they are almost always inaccurate). I use a dual thermometer (~$30) to use for both the grill & meat. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Yes! I went there twice after trying all the other places - Jack Stacks, Joe's, Q39, Danny Edwards....they all had good offerings, but Char Bar really hit it out of the park with everything I tried.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheMalcolmConnection said:

Ahh, thanks! Maybe it was the smoker temp that was the problem. Wondering if I've been running way lower than I thought! I'll give that a go. Thanks for the advice!

Shoulder is also finicky when cooking. The Stall is incredibly annoying (you'll sit at 175 for 2 hrs, gaining a couple of degrees every 45 mins or so). I've also done well with shoulder roasting at 235-250. It gets a better bark that way

• Like 2

My grocery store sells stir fry veggies with a sauce packed in yesterday I tried half a package with some shrimp. It was pretty good. Today I'm trying the other half with some stir fry beef and will top it over some saffron rice to soak up the sauce. Pictures before eating, if I remember in time!

• Like 1

Grilled some turkey cutlets i got at Kroger (discounted/short dated) with salt & pepper. The star of the show was this cauliflower from Trader Joe's. Spicy but damn good - cooked them in a toaster oven so I didn't have to turn on the oven. Next time I'll put them on the grill. Spicy good stuff....

image.png.5ebcd68327d0693c59798ac143e52047.png

kpt%2Bcauli%2Binfo.JPG

• Like 1