Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Wade Phillips to interview for Redskins DC job (MET)

redskins4ever28

Like Wade's talent as a coach, he's kind of a Norv Turner of DC's, but I really am tired of Snyder's predilection for hiring retreads, or "names". He never, ever seems to hire young candidates with great references, and as history has shown, the best bets are always these guys. The '70's was owned by Landry and Noll, the 80's were owned by Walsh, Gibbs and Parcells, the '90's were owned by Jimmy Johnson, Holmgren, and Shanny, the aughts+ have been owned by Bellichek, Cowher-Tomlin, Coughlin, and the Harbaugh's, every generation the page is turned. If you try to go back and get another drink from stale water, you never seem to get anything more than middling results. We need to find the next Bellichek, Harbaugh, whomever. Just hiring from the merry go round of retreads isn't getting us anywhere. 

I like Wade as a stop gap, but I'd still prefer a younger option with great references and a great track record, just as I want young guys in the F.O., and not these old tired yes men dinosaurs. 

I find it weird you complain about Snyder not hiring "young candidates with great references", when Jay Gruden was basically that. You could argue how "great" his references were, but he was widely viewed as a strong head coaching candidate around the league.

You also list Belichick and Coughlin as "examples" of your desire for "young candidates with great references", despite the fact both were neither young or even first time head coaches. Belichick failed with the Browns and Coughlin was fired from the Jags (although largely was successful there). I could pick apart your other suggestions. On one hand, John Harbaugh's been a fantastic coach. On the other hand, he was hardly a hot candidate. When Baltimore hired him, it was kind of a surprise. Tomlin's been pretty successful overall, and was both young and a hot candidate. But he also seemed to ride the coattails of Bill Cowher. Like Barry Switzer or George Seifert, Tomlin inherited a Super Bowl caliber team and won another Super Bowl quickly. Since then, Tomlin's record reads much like Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati. Lots of one and dones in the playoffs for Tomlin. Is he a great coach, or is he an okay coach that inherited a great team/organization?

Pete Carroll is widely viewed as one of the best head coaches today, but he's neither young or a new NFL head coach. He flamed out in New England.

Spurrier is the classic example of a college coach with a hot name. The Redskins went that route. Spurrier was a failure. But you list Jimmy Johnson as a success. Johnson clear was, but based on resume was their a difference between Johnson and Spurrier? Chip Kelly is off to a nice start in Philly. And Jim Harbaugh had success in SF. Of course Nick Saban flamed out in Miami and Bobby Petrino was a disaster in Atlanta.

The point I'm making is there's no secret formula for success in finding a coach. You seem to think all good coaches fit a specific paradigm, when there is really no secret formula and success comes from all over the place. And for every Jimmy Johnson or Jim Harbaugh success story, there are plenty of failures of coaches with similar resumes. Many re-treads sucks, but Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick were older re-tread hires and both coach the Super Bowl favorites in their respective conferences. The Redskins have tried virtually any type of hire: the unknown wild card (Zorn), the hot college coach candidate (Spurrier), the up and coming coordinator (Gruden), the retread (Marty), the proven winner (Shanahan), the Hall of Famer (Gibbs). Some of those were bad hires. Some were fine (Marty, Gibbs), but other factors came into play.

If you're asking my opinion, the coaching isn't the problem. Its the player selection.

Pure speculation on my part but:

I honestly think Raheem already has the job of DC and they are doing interviews to save face and show "due diligence"

Raheem is part of the TB network, and if/when Gruden is fired after 2015 (assuming another disastser) Raheem would be a cheap "logical" (at least to Bruce and Dan) bump to HC (has HC experience and familiar with the team etc) while paying out the last 3 years of Gruden's deal 

Hope I'm wrong because this would be a nightmare IMHO (Raheem should have been fire with Haslett as should OL coach Chris Forester)

Stop saying bad things.

I understand all that.  The old boys club were all in collusion against the players.  The Redskins and Cowboys (and a couple other teams) tried to get over on their fellow owners who were trying to get over on the players union.  BTW, a couple of judges already overruled the collusion complaint, another reinstated it.  It's not all burgundy and gold, errr black and white.

It's a bunch of arrogant narcissists owners of every NFL team operating under their shield of the antitrust exemption.  Nobody was innocent.

Back to Wade.  Here is hoping he get's picked over Eric B and Raheem.  I really think the whole defensive staff needs to be replaced.  Need to get rid of all of the snitches.

There is no antitrust exemption. What the other owners did was clearly illegal. It's just neither the Redskins or Cowboys desired to fight the "old boys club" as the fallout would likely be too much.

The players union has generally failed in their claims because they specifically settled and waived their claims when they signed the new CBA. That was their mistake. They probably had a great claim to sue to the owners, but they decided to settle it and not pursue it at the time. And then the union wanted "take backs" on their settlement. The law doesn't work that way.

The point of the uncapped year in the first place was meant as a "poison pill" for both sides to avoid the uncertainty of an uncapped year. There was no control on spending either way, which meant both sides bared a fair amount of risk.  What the Redskins and Cowboys and about 8 other teams that exceeded the "imaginary" salary cap that year did was perfectly legal. However, it was not without risk. There was nothing to prevent the new CBA to include some retroactive clause to "punish" teams that overspent in the uncapped year. It would have been a perfectly legal way to punish the Redskins for the cap maneuvers. And the Redskins risked this happening. But it never occurred, probably in large part because the Player's Union would never accept it. So when the legal route went out the window, the NFL went the illegal route.

On this particular issue, the Cowboys and Redskins were actually perfectly innocent.

Would rather have someone other than Wade.

He has a great 1st year with his new teams and a horrible second year.

Just go and look at his stats.

I believe this team could do better, but I'm sure they'll hire Wade. God knows the Redskins always do the opposite of what is right.

I'd rather have someone else too but not for the reason you stated.

Bottomline I just think he might be too old.  His DC stats speak for themselves, he's a great coach but what does he have left in the tank?  Is he still hungry?  Then there's the connection with his son being the TE coach.  I'm just sick of the whole "good ole boy", cronyism thing.  I'm sure the D would improve under him but he needs better players.  I'd personally hope they seriously consider Ed Donatell and Joe Barry before making a decision.  Some fresh, young blood would be nice.

Sheehan just said on air the sources he talked to think Joe Barry is in the lead because of his ties to Bruce, Jay etc..  Phillips has a shot though according to them

Yeah......no.....hopefully this "we're getting a real GM" thing happens and he puts a stop to this nonsense.  Joe Barry is very scary.

It's almost like Bruce doesn't like having a job.

Picking Joe Barry over Wade Phillips is like picking road kill over prime rib.  And then serving it to the biggest and most important customer you could have.

Maybe he shouldn't be shunted to Pres.  Maybe he should be shown, and then shoved out of, the door.

It's almost like Bruce doesn't like having a job.

Picking Joe Barry over Wade Phillips is like picking road kill over prime rib.  And then serving it to the biggest and most important customer you could have.

Maybe he shouldn't be shunted to Pres.  Maybe he should be shown, and then shoved out of, the door.

Yeah going for the guy who went 0-16 with the Lions where a Detroit reporter got fired for making fun of.  A guy that no one else seems to have been talking about for their defense coordinator job.  Haslett the sequel?  But seeing what I've seen, Jay might have a lot to do with it, there is a past connection there, and supposedly Jay has final say.  

Barry oversaw the Lions defense in the 0-16 season :angry:

Can we get Hazmat back?  Because when I didn't think it could get worse it just might under this as Bruce continues his good boys network

You might as well name Slowik as our DC.  He's about as good as Barry is!

If we hire Wade Phillips as our DC, I believe this will be his 8th stop as a defensive coordinator. Talk about a retread lol Typical Skins move 100%

I miss the good ol Williams defense. We were constantly a top defense

BTW if Wade comes here - we should go back to a 4-3. Have something like Hatcher, Suh, Kerrigan, Murphy as our DL?

Barry seems to me like a Keith Burns type of hire for defense.   We wanted Smith gone.  Keith Burns comes in and takes us to a new low.  We wanted Haslett gone.  Barry?  No thanks.  I don't want to repeat what happened on special teams with the defense.

I don't want wade Phillips.

Why not?

And who do you want?

I'd kill for Rex Ryan.   I'd love Schwartz or even Bowles.   But none of that is possible as lateral moves are difficult and Rex wants to be a head coach.    So, with the people actually out there, assuming we won't ditch the 3-4, Phillips seems a boon if we were to get him.

Archived