Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Wade Phillips to interview for Redskins DC job (MET)

redskins4ever28

I don't think that FA is the terrible beast it used to be for us.

If Bruce is nothing else, he's a cap guy.  He knows how to work it.  He knows how to structure contracts so that the dead money doesn't kill us, we just have to be willing to let go at the right time.

A good example of this are Garcon and Jackson.  In 2016, they combined will count 19.45 million against the cap, which is huge.  However, we only owe them a combined 4.7 million that year if they are cut.  Essentially, we recoup 75% of their cap costs.

Under Vinny we didn't get anything close to that, we were stuck with guys or if they left their dead money was large and lingering.

FA will be important this coming offseason, we simply have too many holes to fill without using it for some starter talent.  We potentially need an OG, RT, DE, FS, SS to simply have starter level talent at all 22 positions.  Even then, we have some "talent" that is questionable.  The TE group is suspect.  Perry Riley and Trent Murphy continue to need to be closely watched.  Breeland and Amerson, even if we assume they are a starting duo, need a #3 corner behind them.  QB might sneak in there.  WRs become a problem in 2016.

Simply, we have a lot of potential holes.  Even if our 1st through 4th round picks all became immediate starters, we'd still be short.

FA is a part of football.

Seattle used a bunch last year (Lynch being the biggest), and Denver's Manning was a FA acquisition.  Anquan Boldin was an acquisition from Arizona the previous year.

Good teams draft their own talent, but they also don't hamstring themselves by not signing any free agents.

The fact that we have a full draft slate and money to spend on some quality free agents makes it all the more imperative that Smith and Wade, assuming they are the best we can do, get into position as soon as possible.  Both will vastly improve the quality of our evaluation process and should yield better results than we would have gained without them, in a year where our resources could actually go quite far.

<sigh>

Please save it for someone who doesn't care for honesty.

BTW, the Ravens just won a playoff game with a hodge podge of corners.  But they draft defensive lineman and linebackers YEAR AFTER YEAR.  The Ravens let players go when they are expired.  We keep players around like Santana Moss.  Heck we might be the only team I can remember that kept FOUR count em 4 QB's with our crappy roster.

Again, you are the problem.  We draft a lineman here or there but spend most of our high picks on skill players.  CALL ME WHEN OUR STARTING OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE lineman were actually drafter by us.  LOL

I don't try it. Sorry if the facts don't fit your analysis, but these players were all drafted to start or contribute.  If that didn't or hasn't happened yet its because of bad evaluation or lack of development. 

2009 1st Rd Orakpo, 

2010 1st rd Trent Williams,

2011 1st Rd Kerrigan and 2nd Rd Jenkins,

2012 3rd  Rd LeRibeus,

2014 2nd Rd, Murphy, 3rd Rd Moses,  3rd Rd Long

I kept it to the first 3 rounds

I don't try it. Sorry if the facts don't fit your analysis, but these players were all drafted to start or contribute.  If that didn't or hasn't happened yet its because of bad evaluation or lack of development. 

2009 1st Rd Orakpo, 

2010 1st rd Trent Williams,

2011 1st Rd Kerrigan and 2nd Rd Jenkins,

2012 3rd  Rd LeRibeus,

2014 2nd Rd, Murphy, 3rd Rd Moses,  3rd Rd Long

Again, we had 9 starters this year on the offensive and defensive lines that were free agents and not drafted by us.  Thanks for playing.

FA is a part of football.

Again, good teams aren't built on free agency.  They are supplemented with free agency.

Again, we had 9 starters this year on the offensive and defensive lines that were free agents and not drafted by us.  Thanks for playing.

Again, good teams aren't built on free agency.  They are supplemented with free agency.

I kept it to the first 3 rounds as these are players your expecting to start.  If they don't that's a different problem, thanks for trying.

Morris has had the most under-performing unit on the team under his control for years with no results. The players love him because he's rah-rah and he's buddy buddy with everyone at Redskins park. Neither of those things particularly matter to me and I see zero evidence that he's a competent DB's coach.

Maybe the best way to keep Morris around to satisfy Bruce, would be to make him ST coach. His personality fits the role, and with apologies to Kotwica, teams were still lousy this year.

That way Wade keeps (and grooms!) Olivadotti, as well as Baker, and gets a new secondary and line coach.

We need to rebuild, which means go back to the draft.  Once we build a foundation, then we can dip into free agency.  Everyone on here complains about how this organization is run, but then wants to make the same mistakes.

We don't need to sign any free agents this offseason.

That's silly.  Just because they haven't been successful with the draft doesn't mean they shouldn't pickup players in free agency. 

The Redskins have done well with mid-level free agents in the past.  It's the high priced free agents that they need to stay away from.

We need to rebuild, which means go back to the draft.  Once we build a foundation, then we can dip into free agency.  Everyone on here complains about how this organization is run, but then wants to make the same mistakes.

...because all FAs are 35 years old, injury prone and expecting a massive payday?

<sigh>

Please save it for someone who doesn't care for honesty.

BTW, the Ravens just won a playoff game with a hodge podge of corners.  But they draft defensive lineman and linebackers YEAR AFTER YEAR.  The Ravens let players go when they are expired.  We keep players around like Santana Moss.  Heck we might be the only team I can remember that kept FOUR count em 4 QB's with our crappy roster.

Again, you are the problem.  We draft a lineman here or there but spend most of our high picks on skill players.  CALL ME WHEN OUR STARTING OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE lineman were actually drafter by us.  LOL

Bro, honesty? 

2 of the 5 starting O lineman were drafted by us. Lightensteiger was a young FA add. Chester was drafted by your beloved Ravens. 

1 of 3 Dlinemen. Baker another young FA add. ALL 4 Linebackers. Including the 5th one that took over when Orakpo went down.  

Look I understand why you are trying to push this narrative but it is ridiculous. Your Ravens? 2 of 5 Oline are FA compared to our 3. 3 of the front 7 are FA compared to our 2. All teams use free agency. It is ignorant to ignore an avenue that can help improve your team. Yes, they have to put more emphasis on the draft. But that shouldn't take away from the work they put in FA. Just have to sign the right guys...

It appears that I will be one of the minority that don't want Wade.  I am not saying Wade is not a quality coordinator, but I think he would be a short term answer.  Meaning, come in and do well for a year or two and than become become average.

Also, to me, Wade should be a consultant at most, enjoy retirement and the family at the least.

I was hoping for a younger, fresher mind to take over and set the tone for years to come.

Again, you are the problem that exists.

Losers at the top.

Our fan base is confused with regards to free agency.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000340023/article/which-teams-signed-the-most-new-players

Again, I think most fans are agreed that the Skins roster needs to greatly improve the talent level on the team - with only seven rounds - how are you supposed to do it without dipping into free agency? If you limit your roster turnover to draft picks - we'll never improve it to the degree that it needs. Surely, you can't be serious.....

Btw, how does the article that you link support your point? The writer (who the heck is Gregg Rosenthal and how's he an "expert"?) doesn't really make a valid point about the Skins OR the "problem" stemming from signing FAs other than to make a blanket statement that the Skins made "risky choices" w/o making one single point to support his assertion.

The problem comes to our decision making when evaluating talent - both with drafting and FA - who thought Lauvao and McGlynn were the best players available? Over the past few years - we have drafted OL, but none of these guys has gotten measurable playing time and it's not like they are trying to unseat all-pros. So while I agree with you 100% that we need to focus on drafting OL with our top draft picks - what makes you confident that we'll pick the right guys?

It appears that I will be one of the minority that don't want Wade. I am not saying Wade is not a quality coordinator, but I think he would be a short term answer. Meaning, come in and do well for a year or two and than become become average.

Also, to me, Wade should be a consultant at most, enjoy retirement and the family at the least.

I was hoping for a younger, fresher mind to take over and set the tone for years to come.

Average would be a major step up for our defense.

It appears that I will be one of the minority that don't want Wade.  I am not saying Wade is not a quality coordinator, but I think he would be a short term answer.  Meaning, come in and do well for a year or two and than become become average.

I think that may be the reason you want Wade.  He may be the best short term answer.  Is Gruden long for this team?  Heavy bets are against it right now and that means you need someone who maybe can right the ship and give Grudes a chance, but that would be potentially good while still understanding that this may ultimately be a one year hire.

Average would be a major step up for our defense.

Yes, but you are comparing the failures of Has to our new coordinator.

Of course Wade will come in and be an improvement over Has, but I want a long term improvement, and I don't think Wade for be that guy.  Quality coordinators that don't become head coaches generally stay at one place because, well, they are quality.  For me, I want someone different.

I think that may be the reason you want Wade.  He may be the best short term answer.  Is Gruden long for this team?  Heavy bets are against it right now and that means you need someone who maybe can right the ship and give Grudes a chance, but that would be potentially good while still understanding that this may ultimately be a one year hire.

Very true, but I was hoping, really hoping, that someone can start drafting and Grudes could start turning this ship around.  See, I have started to enter the off season hope stage.

But, the more likely scenario is that we continue to fail and Wade would be the best candidate for a short term.

He'd be an obvious upgrade, or so it seems. The key for him succeeding here, if hired, will be his positional coaches. Phillips knows defense and appears to be the kind of loveable fat guy the players like to play for. But if we keep some of the positional coaches we have, mainly Morris, then I'm afraid that the difference that Phillips will make will not be maximized.

As for building through the draft? That's a no brainer and something we need to focus on. But the thing about the draft is that you still got to get it right. What makes anybody on here confidently think that our crack staff will get it right? You could have picks up the ying yang, but if you don't select wisely, you're screwed and the draft ends up setting you back. There's a lot of work to be done for us, but I think hiring Phillips will be a positive start to what will hopefully be a productive offseason. 

As already mentioned, let Wade groom Baker and/or KO for 3 years. That will satisfy both the long and short term solutions.

Okay - I'll bite: Who from the interview list is a better DCOORD than Wade Phillips?

Hire the man!!

And for those who say he turns average after a couple of years, the reason we're in the position of looking for a DC is because we have had absolute INCOMPETENCE for the last 5 years at the DC level. Your offense and ST can win games if your defense is average.

Average means that instead of letting teams convert 3rd and 25 (!!!!!) and then 3rd and 15 into 1st downs (which led to a Philly touchdown 2 weeks ago), you stop them when you need to and force them to punt.

Average means you make adjustments at halftime (or anytime).

Average means you adjust to stop your opponent in the 4th quarter.

I'LL TAKE IT!!

Because when you are promoting the same mistake by the front office over and over, you are part of the problem.

Chipwhich I totally understand what you are saying, and agree with you except the point of calling out fans as a part of the problem. It is condescending and honestly, the fans do not affect what the Front Office does. You might argue that they do, because the Front Office wants to fill seats, but typically they fill the stadium anyway.

Also to your point the Ravens and Patriots do the same thing, except for some players such as Vince Wilfork who is now 33 and signed a 3 year 22 million contract though the contract has more conditions than a medication commercial.

Point is, I agree with you regarding the lines and not extending a player past their prime, while I do not agree with the finger pointing. Seems very harsh to me.

Okay - I'll bite: Who from the interview list is a better DCOORD than Wade Phillips?

Hire the man!!

I was hoping for Rex Ryan but that is not going to happen, so out of the remainder, I think Son of Bum is the best. I only worry about us chasing after coaches instead of finding the next diamond in the rough.

I would like to see us go 90% draft and 10% free agency as long as the free agents are NOT the top tier that are overpriced.

If we add one mid level free agent each year that can contribute then there is no reason not to sign him just because we think the draft is the only way to go.

Well to supplement, we have to bring in people.  We can't not sign anyone.

I think we've got a case of once bitten twice shy.  While free agency often isn't the answer, it provides important benefits for teams that are halfway competent.

We were, for pretty much a decade, in a situation where our drafting sucked, our free agency sucked, and our coaching was merely ok at best and sometimes was horrible.  Every bad move was amplified several times over, and since FA involved the big money more than anything else, it remains foremost in our minds, and not without some good reason (Haynesworth, Hall).

That being said, good teams consistently supplement talent gaps with FAs, so we can't be too gun shy.

We obviously shouldn't build ourselves on free agency, our base would ideally come from the draft, but the supplementary pieces are vitally important to being a successful team as well, since getting even close to a full complement of starting and backup players from the draft is incredibly difficult, and moreover likely to collapse under its own weight eventually as rookie deals expire.

Agreed, let's not turn on each other when our favorite team provides enough scapegoats already.

Always a nice thought, and tangentially, when I was making this post---http://es.redskins.com/topic/386248-zoony-bin-the-official-15-offseason-twitter-thread-whine-room-now-open-serving-francis-copious-speculation-cab-lavar-buffet-incl-tips-included/?p=10094926

---I was also thinking this: it's often noted the one constant in "all this" (multiple changes in every other aspect of org make-up with same results) is Dan Snyder. But I was thinking there's one other constant that's relevant (not FedEx, either).

It's us.

We're the same observers and "pontificators."

So when we are describing our Redskins world as we see it to each other, we are part of the "same old same old" no matter what else is changed. As long as we are left to comment so heavily on perpetual losing and pervasive "struggles in all areas" year after year, how can any actual similarities on the field or in the locker room, from sea change to sea change, not be enhanced by it being spun by the same reporters.

mindblownkramer_zps9396b208.jpg

:P

It gives another angle on the "winning changes everything" cliche, as when it comes to giving us something truly different to write about, winning is about all that's left.  :(

Archived