Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Wade Phillips to interview for Redskins DC job (MET)

redskins4ever28

1. Yes you CAN take out those D/ST points because not everyone has them equally.  Look at our division, Eagles have had 7 non-defense points, Giants 14, Cowboys 14, meanwhile, the Bears have had 35.  Thats an over 3 ppg difference.  To say that you cant judge a defense differently because their offense and special teams happen to be SO bad they allow an inordinate amount of points, is kind of crazy.

2.  On the above point, on one hand you dismiss stats such as PPG and YPG as being too broad and not specific enough, and say "Sorry, I dont just look at total yards", and then you contradict yourself with #1 when it helps your argument, you dismiss specific stats in favor of the broad.

3. I noticed you argue against Fangio being a good coach based on "rpg"?  Im not even sure what that is.  If its rushes per game, despite how pointless of a stat that is to determine a defenses worth, thats not true that they are in the bottom third.

4. You say that you werent assessing his coaching abilities, but then you say that you were trying to point out how he wasnt as good of a coach as people thought because of personnel.  That would be called assessing his coaching abilities.  You stated "How's that vaunted Bears D and did he suddenly become an average to below average D Coordinator after having elite ones throughout his tenure with the 49ers?" which again, would be assessing his coaching ability.

1- To reach a conclusion about their overall rankings without taking it out FOR EVERYONE is a problem, man. You are the one who said they rank 18 overall if you take it out. That's not true unless you do so for everyone, right? I'm not going to explain that further. If you can't get that simple, obvious, point... sorry. 

2- That's bs, there's zero contradiction and the idea that there was in your mind only shows that you're misreading my posts. I was looking at the overall stats of his team and saying that, in my assessment of the Bears D (not his coaching), that they're average to below average. You can't just look at total yards. You threw that ranking out almost exclusively, not me, and even worse you took out Special Teams and Defensive scores to help out the Points per game overall rankings while ignoring every other team. And you have the audacity to say I'm contradictory or dismissive of stats? Wow. 

3- Rushing yards per game, and I'm NOT ARGUING AGAINST HIM BEING A GOOD COACH. READ MY POSTS, MAN. And they are in the bottom third in that stat. I'd think it'd be obvious I was talking about rushing yards, but I can see where that would be misinterpreted, I should've put RYPG. Still, who the heck talks about rushes per game, lol? Really, you thought I was focused on that? :lol:

4- Again, you're applying your own interpretations and ignoring the context of my posts, man. My overall point, in the first place, was that Wade is a good coach but his personnel is elite, which is why he's having the success he is right now. I feel the same way with Vic, except the opposite with regards to personnel. Good coach, average to below average personnel and that's what his overall stats are suggesting.

Please explain to me what my rhetorical question meant when I said:

Did he suddenly become an average to below average D coordinator after having elite ones throughout his tenure with the 49ers?

Explain to me what that was supposed to get at and why are you ignoring it? That's an argument FOR HIM NOT AGAINST HIM. Yeesh.       

Moved from Cousins thread:

As good as Wade has the Broncos playing I think this game is just as important for Barry as it is for Kirk Cousins. I'm not asking him to shut Brady out or anything like that. But they need to do a much better job of tackling, rallying to the ball, and being in the right position to minimize the big play.

Yeah, emphasis on having guys in the right position (and gap). Missed tackles and swarming are big issues as well, but I don't put that quite as much on coaching. The breakdown posted somewhere of the Bucs game showed how trying to play cute (disguising coverages) led to a lot of breakdowns. Not sure if that is due more to the ability/smarts of players we have (and ones we don't), poor planning by Barry, or just unfamiliarity with the system. Between that and the stunt/linebacker scrape we've been running leading to big runs, I find myself starting to wonder about Barry...

At the time it wouldn't have mattered WHO we brought in, as long as Haslett was shipped out with the trash.

The thing about Wade is, of course my opinion, he's good at getting pieces together and turning around a poor defense to a good one.

But, after a year or 2 his players begin being cherry picked by other teams and his replacements are much lower in production, and also his defense overall seems to become stagnant, almost non-adjusting, as opponents begin figuring his defense out and destroying it.

He goes to another team and its wash rinse repeat. After a couple years here everyone would be calling for his head.

Archived